Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Stink Bugs Again

We just returned from our first long trip in our new RV. A five week trip to New England. While camping in PA, I noticed these stink bugs bugs while sitting outside. Since leaving PA, we have been finding about 5 or 6 per day inside the RV. I HATE BUGS and this is driving me nuts. We got home from our New England trip and garaged the rig for a week and are currently at Fort Wilderness in Orlando. I am STILL finding a lot of these bugs, so will be trying some of the suggested remedies from a previous older thread. What a pain.....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you're going to play outside, bugs are a part of the outside. This time of year, many bugs try to come in out of the cold, just like we do. While maybe not the greatest thing to share with in your RV, there are worse things. Mice, snakes, spiders, bedbugs, fleas, and mosquitos, are a few of the less desirable things that could be sharing your space. Hate is such a STRONG word.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Last year we also were in Pa in late Sept. When the fields got plowed the stink bugs apparantly needed a place to go. We were in Lebanon County a beautiful area but not that time of year. This was the first time we encountered these things. 7 months later in Florida during the winter they finally dwindled out. Just try to catch as many as you can and flush them. They get into the slide mouldings and between rubber gaskets and on top of your slides a dustbuster works good.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:01 PM   #4

We had the same experience while visiting PA. It was almost a year before we finally got rid of those bugs.
tkderouen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:14 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Every Rose has it's thorns.....
Old 10-16-2014, 04:54 AM   #6

They seem to love tight spaces and slots. I find them in the oddest places. When I open the fireplace they fall out, open a door they hide in the gaskets and slots. when they are low my terrier takes care of them. At least they are easy to catch and don't bite.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:26 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Hadn't seen any for a year...then came to Indiana. Maybe it is the part of the country or the time of the year, but they are out in the Ohio Valley.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:40 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Last October they ran us out of Virginia! It took a while to get rid of all of the stowaways! The problem is that they have no natural enemies, nothing wants to eat them!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:48 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
This might be the first stink bug post of the year. I'll bet that last years winter took a toll on their population. Hope for a bad winter again and you will have fewer of them next year to deal with.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #10

The brown marmorated stink bug, Halyomorpha halys, is an invasive pest, that is becoming wide-spread in the U.S. and is of concern to farmers. It feeds on a large number of high-value crops and ornamental plants. The species is native to Asia and was introduced into the United States in the mid-1990s, stowing away in shipping containers that were processed in several east coast ports. Their numbers and range have been growing since that time, and they have proved almost impossible to manage.
In 2010, these stink bugs were seen in extremely high numbers in the mid-Atlantic region. They were responsible for causing damage to fruits and vegetables on a number of farms. In addition to plant damage, brown marmorated stink bugs are a nuisance to people. Adult stink bugs will seek shelter inside houses and other buildings, also RV's that are light in color. They are particularly attracted to white buildings and vehicles, they do not bite people or pets, nor do they damage buildings.

There are only two approved general use pesticides that can control these stink bugs, one of which is not approved in several states. The other is contained in Raid Fumigator, which I have used with great success. I fumigate my coach in mid to late November when it is in storage and the stink bugs have hibernated for the winter.

RaidŽ Fumigator Fumigating Fogger
Old 10-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Last October they ran us out of Virginia! It took a while to get rid of all of the stowaways! The problem is that they have no natural enemies, nothing wants to eat them!
I guess I'm not natural but I sure am an enemy! They eat lots of our soybeans. A friend started up a "new to him camper" heater last week while on a trip and the smell of roasted stink bugs about drove him out of there! He shut it off and put a few more layers on.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:47 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I take this as a personal/bucket list item to find places where stink bugs will not go. It is going to be either altitude or latitude. Just between us, this is my latest reason for traveling in the coach. This reason should last many years.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:55 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
I take this as a personal/bucket list item to find places where stink bugs will not go. It is going to be either altitude or latitude. Just between us, this is my latest reason for traveling in the coach. This reason should last many years.
Good luck with that, they've been found in 41 states.

State-by-State - StopBMSB.org

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote