Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2016, 06:47 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Stinky days

We have upgraded from a 2000 Fleetwood Flair, gas, to a beautiful 2005 Itasca Horizon, diesel pusher. Although we love the accommodations, as the weather gets warmer, we have found that, no mater how much we rinse and deodorize our black tank, we have a bad sewage smell in the MH. We replaced the Sea Land Dometic toilet because it wouldn't hold water, and I believed some of the odor was coming from the bad ball seal. I also put on new venturi type vents on the roof. Neither action was a good fix. So everything is sealed well in the lav, but we still have the odor. Anyone with the same problem or a solution to my pollution?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2016, 06:50 PM   #2

Does it have a Washer Dryer? If it does have you used it lately? Our Pace had a strong oder and it was from a dried up trap of the W/D Ran a cycle and smell went away.... Maybe try that

Old 03-09-2016, 07:03 PM   #3

Also there are vacum breakers under the sinks. One of them might be stuck open and you will get an odor from the gray tank. Sometimes those smell just as bad.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:05 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you Paul!! I hadn't even given the W/D a thought. We haven't used it, as it hasn't been needed. So I'm giving your theory a shot right now!!
Old 03-09-2016, 07:07 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you, too Steve! I'll look into this as well!!
Old 03-09-2016, 07:07 PM   #6

Ditto on the washer/dryer. If you don't use it, the water in the trap evaporates, opening an odor path to the gray tank. And it can stink pretty bad! Been there. Done that.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:12 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Paul and Kim Carillon!!! We have a winner!!! I went to the W/D and stuck my sniffer in there and...WHEEEW!!!! Found it!!!! Thank you so much!! My nose about jumped right off my face!! Have a great day, you guys!!
Old 03-09-2016, 07:48 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolldabones View Post
Paul and Kim Carillon!!! We have a winner!!! I went to the W/D and stuck my sniffer in there and...WHEEEW!!!! Found it!!!! Thank you so much!! My nose about jumped right off my face!! Have a great day, you guys!!
Pour a little vegetable oil in the trap, it will not evaporate for a very long time.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:44 AM   #9

Quote:
I would get a cap for the pipe and put it on. That way you don't have to worry about keeping water in there. Could also put duct tape over it.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:40 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I can't speak for anyone else, but it's nice to read about nice simple,easy fixes with good results first thing in the morning. Safe travels.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:15 AM   #11

I found a rubber automotive freeze plug the size of the pipe and dropped it in and tightened it down and never had the problem again
Old 03-10-2016, 07:17 AM   #12

Easy fixes are great but what is better is the poster getting back with the fix. So many times the fix is never reported, and this is frustrating to some one offering helpful information. In this case for example, there was two possible causes given. That's why this sight is so friendly. I didn't get to reply but thanks to those that did, and thanks to the original poster for reply back with the fix.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Glad to hear it worked for you Bones most people , including us at the time, never think about the Washer Dryer
Old 03-10-2016, 11:54 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the vacuum breaks go bad in ours and whoa man! What a smell! Used the same tool as the OP to find the problem, my trusty old sniffer! Opened the bathroom vanity cabinet and could tell immediately that the vacuum break was bad. 5 bucks at home depot. I bought a couple spares and sure enough, a week later I needed one in the other bathroom.