Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #1

Stinky ride

We drive a 34' Winnebago Vectra, seems like the last couple trips, if we have the front window open, we have a terrible sewer odor coming from the bathroom. We started with a clean tank and no odor, put two dry chem tablets in with plenty of water after one day on the road we could hardly stand it. But if the front window is closed it's not as bad but still evident. Anyone else have this????
hawkeye7416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2011, 11:59 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
We don't have a class A but I spoke to a full timer this summer who had an odd contraption on his rigs roof. He explained that he had replaced the black water vent cover on his stack with an extreme vent he bought from "coil and wrap". He had the same complaint as you regarding the odor from his toilet. . Since he replaced the vent cover with the extreme vent he has had no odor and claimed not too use any chemicals in his black water holding tank. Check out their web site. It has an explanation of how the vent works. There are probably folks out there that have one of these extreme vents on their rigs and could advise you as too how well they work.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #3

Get two of these or simular, one for each vent. I would not be without them.
Camco Mfg Inc - Cyclone Sewer Vent - Vents - Camping World
Old 10-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #4

If it's not the stack and if your kitchen sink is in a slide, there is a good chance it is vented "inside" under the sink just above the P trap with an "automatic vent". If this vent is stuck opened that would be a good source of stinky smell. Here is a good explanation of how they work:
Old 10-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #5

When you open a front window while under way, you create negative air pressure inside as air rushes past outside. The negative pressure will suck air from the easist pathway, including from the waste tanks if there is a passage way out. Opening more windows does not help. The cyclone device on the roof top vent pipe helps a lot as that creates negative pressure in the vent stack that can counteract the negative pressure in the coach. If you have black and grey water tanks, you need two. I know from first hand experience that grey water can smell as bad as black. If this is a recent development, it is very likely that an automatic vent as described in the video has worn out. They are sometimes present even in non-slide coaches. They have a thin rubber membrane and they seem to last only a couple of years. You can get a new one at any plumbing or home center for under $10 and you just scew it on with some teflon tape on the threads where the old one came off. You may have them under any sink, and may have more than one in your rig. If you have an older coach, yours is probably smaller than the one shown in the video. One last remedy you might try is to make sure the p-traps on the sinks and shower are full before you start to move. Mine sometimes dry out if I haven't used the rig for a while in hot weather. Some toilets also have an overflow preventing outlet (small hole near the top) and that outlet has a small p-trap that you can fill with water with from a squeeze bottle. I had to employ all of these remedies in my prior rig, and even then had the occasional whiff of eau de sewer.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:40 PM   #6

I find using the "green" enzyme type additives in the tanks works better. Make sure you have water in the the toilet and sink S drains so the fumes don't come up the wrong way.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:30 PM   #7

I know the $20 cyclones rotate with the wind, but wouldn't a $2.00 45 or 90° PVC elbow facing the rear work almost as good while driving down the road?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:10 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Great Solution, But Remember To Make A Few Adjustments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I know the $20 cyclones rotate with the wind, but wouldn't a $2.00 45 or 90° PVC elbow facing the rear work almost as good while driving down the road?

This is a great idea, rolling down the road.

But, at night, remember to set the alarm so you can go up on the roof and rotate it leeward, every few hours, whenever the wind is up
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:18 AM   #9

If your toilet, sinks and bathtub are working correctly, I.E. seals, p-traps and relief valves, there should never be a stink, unless somebody uses the toilet while going down the road.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:25 AM   #10

I totally aggree with above. If everything works well it should smell good! I never use any chemicals (of any color) whatsoever in my tanks, most are a waste of your fuel money. MHOpinion
Old 10-19-2011, 06:27 AM   #11

In fact I use regular toilet paper, not the $4 per roll type that is "recommended" for RV's...
Old 10-19-2011, 06:32 AM   #12

I used chemicals in my 5er, but only because I got lazy and didn't dump for a week or two after I got home.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:33 AM   #13

You mean that "poke your finger through or use twice as much" Rip-off single ply crap?

Old 10-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye7416 View Post
We drive a 34' Winnebago Vectra, seems like the last couple trips, if we have the front window open, we have a terrible sewer odor coming from the bathroom. We started with a clean tank and no odor, put two dry chem tablets in with plenty of water after one day on the road we could hardly stand it. But if the front window is closed it's not as bad but still evident. Anyone else have this????
I had a similar situation in my 09 Neptune 35SBD. The odor would come and go. I checked all the tank connections underneath & above & visible piping but all was well. The odor was really noticable in the cabinet where the washer/dryer would go if installed. I set out to finally resolve it by removing the cabinet completely if necessary but I found a panel in the back of the cabinet that was hidden by the shelving. I removed the panel and found an open pipe with no cap which I immediately capped. The odor is no more and it turned out to be a 20 minute operation.

PS, Having a window open can create a vacum in the coach which will suck air from the path of least resistence as in open vent, dried out P trap @ sinks & shower etc.

Hope this helps

Michael Boyle
Boyle908 is offline   Reply With Quote