Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2015, 08:07 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
It's the new improved tire wear indicator. No need to inspect your tires. When they stop stinking it's time to replace!

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2015, 08:42 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I thought maybe you guys were pulling my leg so I ask about Toyo tires smelling bad on another forum and they had the same thing.

Weird. It's kinda like Xcelite nut driver sets that smell like vomit. I worked for a large company and we could order tools through our parts department. The nut driver set arrived and I promptly threw it in the trash because it smelled so bad. Second set was the same.

That was 25 years ago and the set STILL smells bad. I've washed it, soaked it, etc. No help.
Wow! Finally an answer to a question I have had for over 35 years! I have a set of craftsmen nut drivers and every time I open that drawer to my tool box I get that smell! Im not kidding, I've had them for 35 years and my father probably had them for 10 years prior to that! They still smell like fresh vomit 45 years later!! If something can hold a smell that long, Im thinking whatever is in them is probably not too good for me when absorbed through the skin. They are going in the garbage today and I will buy a new set.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:29 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I thought maybe you guys were pulling my leg so I ask about Toyo tires smelling bad on another forum and they had the same thing.

Weird. It's kinda like Xcelite nut driver sets that smell like vomit. I worked for a large company and we could order tools through our parts department. The nut driver set arrived and I promptly threw it in the trash because it smelled so bad. Second set was the same.

That was 25 years ago and the set STILL smells bad. I've washed it, soaked it, etc. No help.
Hey, Arch, I have a set of the Xcelites and they still smell like puke after 58 years!

At least my Toyo tires stopped stinking after 9 months. Hah!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:43 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Wow! Finally an answer to a question I have had for over 35 years! I have a set of craftsmen nut drivers and every time I open that drawer to my tool box I get that smell! Im not kidding, I've had them for 35 years and my father probably had them for 10 years prior to that! They still smell like fresh vomit 45 years later!! If something can hold a smell that long, Im thinking whatever is in them is probably not too good for me when absorbed through the skin. They are going in the garbage today and I will buy a new set.
I'll accept a cup of coffee for answering your question. Or, better yet, you can answer a question for me.

Do the new nut driver sets still stink? Let me know when you buy a new set.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:31 AM   #33

Well, since the topic is smelly rubber...

We have friends that bought a new Kia minivan a few years back and the interior kept gassing off this nasty smell similar to the Harbor Freight rubber products. It took about two years (and wear and tear from 4 kids) for the smell to ALMOST disappear. Nice minivan but it really turned me off to that brand.

cheers,
Joopy
Old 12-27-2015, 07:21 AM   #34

Quote:
If they are indeed Craftsman brand, don't throw them away, just take them to Sears and get new ones! They guarantee states that "if you fail to be satisfied" return them for a free replacement. The stink certainly meets the standard of not being satisfied!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:37 AM   #35

I have Toyos on my motorhome and they still stink a little after 10 months. I had another motorhome with smaller Toyos and they had that smell even after 6 years. When I got this new set I emailed Toyo about it and said I liked the tires but they stink. They said that it was the rubbers and oils and stuff that they are made of and that the smell will dissipate with time. Guess we are stuck with the stink!

Geoff
Old 12-27-2015, 10:33 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Toyo uses butyl rubber, cross polymerized hydrocarbon, hydronized sulfurs and other compounds to mimic natural rubber etc. Many chemicals made here in northern NJ and Delaware and that is why it stinks in those areas. Michelin uses natural rubber.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:06 PM   #37

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My Toyo M154 (rear) and M147 (front) tires have never had any smell associated with them.... I have been very impressed with the ride and handling. They are size 295/75/22.5 if the size makes any difference.
My Toyos are stamped "Made in Japan" on the sidewall... Toyo has never been a Chinese brand or company.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 12-27-2015, 05:41 PM   #38

Quote:
I am glad my craftsman tools aren't the only ones that stink. My screwdrivers, mostly my philips heads (for some odd reason) smell like vomit. The flat-blades don't

What's up with that???
Old 12-28-2015, 07:11 AM   #39

American Coach Owners Club
Exactly my experience with the same size Toyo tires no smell and improved ride and handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffbubba View Post
My Toyo M154 (rear) and M147 (front) tires have never had any smell associated with them.... I have been very impressed with the ride and handling. They are size 295/75/22.5 if the size makes any difference.
My Toyos are stamped "Made in Japan" on the sidewall... Toyo has never been a Chinese brand or company.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 12-28-2015, 09:16 AM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think it has to do with the plastic blend they use for the clear handles on them. Good idea on returning them to sears for a different set. Im just afraid that the actual quality has slipped. Im sure my 40 year old drivers are higher quality than what craftsmen produces today.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:10 AM   #41

We have 6 on our coach and hey are 7 months old. We have never had a smell issue. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Would you rather have stinky tires OR cracked side walls. That is a no brainer.

Tags
tires