Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #1

Stone guards and overheating

I have a 1997 HR Imperial 40WDS with a side radiator. The back of the motorhome has no louvers or vents other than a tiny area in the engine cover opening. When I travel up the grapevine (mountain range to over 4k feet) with my toad (2008 Ford Edge) on a hot day it tends to overheat. Without the vehicle I can make it up without the temp guage raising too high. My question is if the radiator fan is sucking outside air through the radiator and into the engine compartment- how does all the hot air escape. Is the toad causing a disruption of the air from under the motorhome not allowing the hot air to disapate? I have a full stone gurad that reaches to the ground at the rear bumper. Is that stopping my air flow? I was thinking about removing the stone guard and testing the theory. I was also thinking of purchasing some large louvered doors, cutting the rear opening larger and installing the louvered doors on the rear cap. Has anyone ever thought of this or discussed these issues?
Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #2

I would make sure you take a light an look on both sides of radiator I just checked mine an mine was completely clogged. So good luck.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is this a diesel or gasser?
Old 09-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGypsy
Is this a diesel or gasser?
It's a diesel and I have sprays the radiators and they are clean.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't think the air flow is a problem, I think it's the extra weight of the towed.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:08 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Diesels often run hot not because of the radiator as much as the oil cooler. When under load the lube oil cooler has to extract the heat put into the oil by the inter cooler and the turbo. The guy that said too much load, toad! Not likely if you have a modern diesel Cat or Comealong. Both will pull a house down, and not breath hard. I used to own trucks back in the sixty's and the average motor was 250 JP. We could haul gross weights up to 150,000 pounds of steel and climb hills ect. So I don't see you haveing a problem with a toad. No doubt you are running a 300 hp or better.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #7

Probably the lack of air flow,are you keeping rpms up and are you sure your fan is speeding up. When you crawl up a mountain the hot air is trapped not like going 60 down the road. The air escapes just like a car out the bottom and anywhere else it can. When was the last time the radiator was cleaned?
Old 09-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #8

Rexhall Owners Group
My MH has a Cummins with a rear radiator. I had to clean both the radiator and inter cooler with a water hose and compressed air to remove a build up of dirt. When going up a long grade I do find it helps to manually shift down a gear and keep the engine turning around 2000rpm and accept what ever speed I get. I hope this helps. Climbed out of Bakersfield to Tehachapi on the I58 last weekend. Outside air temps were in the high 90's. Using the above technique the coolent temp climbed no higher than 195 degrees but, I don't tow a vehicle.

Martin