Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2014, 06:53 PM   #43

We don't use the jacks at Walmart or many other places. We lived on a sailboat 12 years so the movement or motion does not bother us. When we visit our family member who has MS we put the jacks down because any type of motion seems to bother her.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #44

I hope you all enjoy the convenience of Wal-docking or Cracker-docking, et al. You have limited time and must drive long hours, as the destination is your goal.

We boondocked with tents and, later, RVs, from the beginning of our time until the early 90s. We are spoiled and retired, and travel mostly by the 3-3-3 basis, so a nice campground and perhaps a campfire comes early in our day. This is because, now, the Journey is Our Destination.

Hope you all can slow down someday too!

Happy trails!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #45

Thanks to all who have replied. Also this has nothing to do with the money it's just I wanted to be right off the highway and easy on easy off. I would gladly pay for that also and I will by buying stuff there. I figure it's awesome that they are gracious enough to let us stay there we will not over step our bounds. There is also a campers world along the way do you know if they allow it?
Old 03-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothgrey View Post
Thanks to all who have replied. Also this has nothing to do with the money it's just I wanted to be right off the highway and easy on easy off. I would gladly pay for that also and I will by buying stuff there. I figure it's awesome that they are gracious enough to let us stay there we will not over step our bounds. There is also a campers world along the way do you know if they allow it?
Understand completely. We have stayed at many Walmarts around the country. I try to park as far from the store and out of the main traffic pattern. If possible I park parallel to the curb on the outer edge of the lot. This enables putting slides out over the curb. Sometimes I put the opposite slide out if no issues. I park away from others and run my generator as needed. I shop in the store and often eat dinner. I also pick up some trash around the lot.

Post to this thread after your trip & let us know your impressions.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #47
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
There is also a campers world along the way do you know if they allow it?
Some do while some don't so just call ahead.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:23 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
SMILLER HAS THE RIGHT IDEA. nearly ALL THE STORES ASK THAT YOU NOT PUT DOWN YOUR LEVELERS AND THEY FROWN ON SLIDES. I HAVE SEEN THE AWNING AND LAWN CHAIRS TOO MANY TIMES AND SLIDES TAKING UP AN ADDITIONAL PARKING SPOT. Those actions are what cause local ordinances to be enacted that restrict using WalMart
Old 03-19-2014, 12:56 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwyoming View Post
nearly ALL THE STORES ASK THAT YOU NOT PUT DOWN YOUR LEVELERS AND THEY FROWN ON SLIDES. I HAVE SEEN THE AWNING AND LAWN CHAIRS TOO MANY TIMES AND SLIDES TAKING UP AN ADDITIONAL PARKING SPOT. Those actions are what cause local ordinances to be enacted that restrict using WalMart
I have spent many a night at Wally Worlds. Not once have I encountered a conversation with a store manager or patrolling security that indicated "they frown on slides."

Due to my combined length, MH and toad, I do not fit in the length of two adjoining parking spaces. Therefore I park along perimeter, perpendicular to the single row of spaces and parallel to the curb there. Slides out or in does not change the number of parking spaces I occupy.

Please lets keep it realistic.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #50

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
I have spent many a night at Wally Worlds. Not once have I encountered a conversation with a store manager or patrolling security that indicated "they frown on slides."

Due to my combined length, MH and toad, I do not fit in the length of two adjoining parking spaces. Therefore I park along perimeter, perpendicular to the single row of spaces and parallel to the curb there. Slides out or in does not change the number of parking spaces I occupy.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post

That's the way I park also. That's the way that WalMart's and other vendor's semis park when they stay overnight.

Also, I've asked WalMart's security people if we can stay overnight and they kind of look at me like I'm nuts for asking and they reply "of course, why not?" I've also asked if I can park parallel to the curb at the outermost area of the lot and they always reply that its no problem.

I also buy supplies and sometimes gas before I leave. I always pick up trash and cigarette butts around the area. I have never felt "unsafe" staying at a WalMart overnight. I don't do it very often, only seven times since we got our first MH in 2007.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5210.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	58630  
Old 03-19-2014, 10:50 AM   #52

American Coach Owners Club
With signs against overnight parking in a WM or Sam's location, it's usually the result of a city ordinance for public places and not the policy of that particular store. Once in a while you might see something different, just in case it needs to be enforced and in which case the store manager will give you permission, anyway.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #53

This is a timely thread for us as 4/23 we'll be heading to see Mickey and are planning on stopping at the Walmart in Harrisonburg Va. at exit 247A off I-81 for the night. This will be our first time since we started motorhoming in 1988 that we've not stayed in a campground. Anyone stopped there in there travels?
Old 03-19-2014, 02:19 PM   #54

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
We never park in a Wal Mart parking lot. We're not rich by any means. But if we can afford a moho we can afford an rv park. Besides you never know who is coming to knock on your door in the middle of the night..Question is : will you answer the knock ????
Its not about the cost it's convenience. Why drive 5 or 10 miles off the highway to a campground, and back to the highway early the next morning if you can sleep at the interstate exit and avoid the whole campground check-in, setup and takedown process? If we're staying for any length of time we always use a campground.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:21 PM   #55

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothgrey View Post
. There is also a campers world along the way do you know if they allow it?
Most CW do allow it but some do not have enough room. Call them and ask.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:21 PM   #56

I have stayed overnight at that Harrisonburg VA Walmart. Good spot with lots of other stores/ food places around as I recall.