Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2014, 06:30 AM   #71

We never stay at Walmart or any other private business because:
1. The CG's are normally Mom and Pop businesses that have invested a lot of money to make our trip easy and pleasurable . They need our support to grow and improve. Saving a couple of bucks is not important;
2. We are on a vacation and we want to use the amenities in our coach, so why not use it as intended - awnings out, bar be que dinner, full hook ups and time and space to check the systems each night or morning so we are fully ready for a days driving;
3. With a toad we get helpful advice about things to see and do that are not on the maps or posted on line and the operators know the ropes. They many times have discount tickets to local attractions;
4. If we find a need for any service they know who to call for a fair price and quick service;
5. On occasion we have needed to run to a store when we did not have another vehicle. Most CG's have volunteered to take us on a short trip and some have shuttle services.
Last: we are retired and driving an expensive house on wheels and want to support these small businesses who make our travels easy and safe.
hawk57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2014, 08:54 AM   #72

Newmar Owners Club
I don't want to spend the time calling for space, finding CG or registering, in/out quick = Walmart flying J etc.

When I get where I'm going then CG sure.
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #73

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Just as there are different kinds of RVs, there are different kinds of RVers.

We have gone coast to coast (well almost) and back several times. All but one of those was business related and we simply didn't have a lot of time. 750 miles a day was quite common and our overnights were simply to re-stock supplies as needed, sleep, eat and shower. We pull in late and pull out early. We even kept a log and notes of all the Walmarts we overnighted in, so when we traveled that route again, we already had ideas of where we were going to stop. It isn't about the money, it is about convenience and time for us. Indeed, I'm sure we spent more at the Walmarts than we would have at a CG. Groceries, maybe a new movie, a pair of shorts since it's hotter than I expected..... even some RV supplies.

We also have spent a lot of overnights in truck stops. When you're 70 feet long, truck stops and truck rest areas become more of a necessity. Besides, I kind of like the nods of approval I get after I back the whole rig around a corner and into a tight single space.

I usually put the jacks down just enough to take up the wiggle and leave most of the air in the bags.

On the rare occasions we get to use the RV to vacation, then we go to campgrounds and relax and enjoy ourselves.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk57 View Post
1. The CG's are normally Mom and Pop businesses that have invested a lot of money to make our trip easy and pleasurable . They need our support to grow and improve. Saving a couple of bucks is not important;
2. We are on a vacation and we want to use the amenities in our coach, so why not use it as intended - awnings out, bar be que dinner, full hook ups and time and space to check the systems each night or morning so we are fully ready for a days driving;
3. With a toad we get helpful advice about things to see and do that are not on the maps or posted on line and the operators know the ropes. They many times have discount tickets to local attractions;
4. If we find a need for any service they know who to call for a fair price and quick service;
5. On occasion we have needed to run to a store when we did not have another vehicle. Most CG's have volunteered to take us on a short trip and some have shuttle services.
Last: we are retired and driving an expensive house on wheels and want to support these small businesses who make our travels easy and safe.
I agree with each and everyone one of your statements above but the key word in your reply is "retired". Those of us who are still working usually have limited vacation time and in order to enjoy our destination CG's amenities try to get there as soon as possible...thus not having the time to set-up camp every night on our way or home for that matter.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:28 PM   #75

I do stay at 1 in KY when I go to see my family in OK, 1300 mi in 2 days. It's halfway, I get there after dark and get up at 6AM so all I do is sleep and get on ther road. Never been bothered at it.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:27 PM   #76

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One other item that hasn't been mentioned is courtesy. Imagine it's 10-10:30 and you are all settled in for the evening at your campsite. You hear a faint engine that continues to get louder until you realize someone is pulling into the empty campsite next to you. A diesel engine idles while the airbags blow, the high idle comes on for jack deployment and you hear the voices of people setting up a quick camp. 10-15 minutes and it's quite. You go to sleep. Next thing you know the voices are back and the diesel is running again. You look at the clock and it's 6am! Who do those folks think they are making so much noise?! You lay there listening to the engine idle as the slides come in, the jacks come up and the airbags inflate. A few minutes later the engine noise is moving away as the MH and occupants head for the highway. You think to yourself, "why couldn't those inconsiderate @$#%&'s have stayed at the Walmart by the freeway?". It's about more than 'saving a few bucks'.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:07 PM   #77

I like to stay in Walmart's, especially the ones's near the freeway. I have only found one where I had a problem, that was with an employee who parked right in front of my rig. Fortunately no one parked behind me. I had even asked permission. It was just a young kid. I am sure he thought he was being cool messing with the old folks. He walked out about when we were leaving, I just backed up, and waved so long. I did leave a cart about 2 inches away from his fender though, just so he knew what it felt like.

I only run the bedroom slide out, never the living room one. And I only do that when it is away from traffic like between me and the sidewalk.
_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:34 AM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Looks like we are re-hashing the same old thread, all over again. For the newer members you can start here http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/walma...ing-54934.html to catch up.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:09 AM   #79

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes, as I remember, that as shutdown. It was a funny thread that got out of hand. Hopefully this one doesn't.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #80

The OP asked "Question do you ever put a slide out when you do this? I've never done this in a WM lot before so I don't know protocol. And what about heat can I run the geni."

Almost 80 posts later, we are spinning our wheels in the mud here. I can only imagine, the OP must be thoroughly confused as what to do at Wally World. I make a motion to put this one to bed.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #81

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I thought everyone made it pretty clear, slides ok if not in traffic lane, Genny ok, jacks down, NO NO. Plus all the other common sense stuff, no BBQ, lawn chairs, awnings, campfires, etc.
I think the same thing goes for travel centers, rest areas or any parking lot.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #82

Well, Wallyworld is the best thing that has happpened to these ol Pharts since sliced bread. I read that the only reason people go on vacation to go to Malls and shop so maybe WW is on their list too!
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:12 AM   #83

What about Cracker Barrel? Anyone overnight regularly there? We are heading to NC next week and I see there re many on the 40 with what looks like rv or truck parking. Are they usually over it friendly?
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:45 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk57 View Post
My thoughts exactly 100%
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote