Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #85

Wow! This is the 85th post on a very simple question about Wally docking. There seem to be 3 types of RVers concerning this subject.
1. Those who do.
2. Those who don't.
3. Those who are vehemently opposed to the practice.

The first two are perfectly legitimate positions. The third is generally what takes up the bandwidth on the subject.

I always use a campground of some sort when stopping for more than a quick over night. I never use a campground when stopping while on my way to a destination. It has nothing to do with cost and everything to do with convenience. If overnighting at a retail establishment, I always call in advance and practice common sense parking when I arrive. I air level, put up the sat dish and if not taking extra space I may deploy slides. The generator runs as desired. I shop at the store. I eat somewhere convenient and I pick up some trash and collect some shopping carts. If I see a manager while in the store I thank him for his corporate hospitality.

I fail to understand why some people are so threatened by this practice.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2014, 11:22 AM   #86

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use our mh mostly for transportation and living quarters while racing motocross. That being said, Im usually leaving late after work on a friday. We drive until 2 or 3 in the morning and pull into wall mart as a necessity. A quick few hours sleep and the final push to the racetrack. There is no time for stopping and setting up at a cg. We need to make the race. We always shop and are in and out after sunset and before sunrise. I would love the luxury of staying at a cg but time doesn't allow it. Trust me cost is not the issue as a cg would be less than the race fuel I use for one race. We can travel 1200 miles between friday and monday. Leaves very little time to enjoy the scenery. Thank god for wall mart!
Old 03-23-2014, 12:06 PM   #87

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
What about Cracker Barrel? Anyone overnight regularly there? We are heading to NC next week and I see there re many on the 40 with what looks like rv or truck parking. Are they usually over it friendly?
We've never tried them, but wouldn't hesitate to do so. I did call one, once and they seemed very obliging with extending their welcome.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #88

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Wow! This is the 85th post on a very simple question about Wally docking. There seem to be 3 types of RVers concerning this subject. 1. Those who do. 2. Those who don't. 3. Those who are vehemently opposed to the practice. The first two are perfectly legitimate positions. The third is generally what takes up the bandwidth on the subject. I always use a campground of some sort when stopping for more than a quick over night. I never use a campground when stopping while on my way to a destination. It has nothing to do with cost and everything to do with convenience. If overnighting at a retail establishment, I always call in advance and practice common sense parking when I arrive. I air level, put up the sat dish and if not taking extra space I may deploy slides. The generator runs as desired. I shop at the store. I eat somewhere convenient and I pick up some trash and collect some shopping carts. If I see a manager while in the store I thank him for his corporate hospitality. I fail to understand why some people are so threatened by this practice.
Good practice. I think putting away some shopping carts from the lazy people who just want to leave them all around and then scream the loudest when one gets away and hits their vehicle! Another thought it probably shows up on the video, you doing your good dead too.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #89

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
What about Cracker Barrel? Anyone overnight regularly there? We are heading to NC next week and I see there re many on the 40 with what looks like rv or truck parking. Are they usually over it friendly?
If memory serves me correctly most of the Cracker Barrel RV parking spaces are not long enough for my RV and tow car.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:58 PM   #90

When I was an otr driver I used Wal-Mart if I could not get to a truck stop. Now that I am retired I still use them when traveling from point A to point B. Sometimes it cost me more than if we stayed at a CG. I always put my 4 slides out and use my generator as needed. I never put my jacks down. I have always found them to be pretty level.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #91

Slides out has always been fine. Generator use is fine as well; it's not a national forest. The type of person who can't figure out if their slides are impeding normal traffic in the parking lot or just doesn't care probably isn't reading this thread anyhow.

Isn't it funny, you ask a specific question about what to do when camping there and you still get people telling you that they don't camp there. That is SOOOOOO helpful!
Old 03-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #92

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
...Isn't it funny, you ask a specific question about what to do when camping there and you still get people telling you that they don't camp there. That is SOOOOOO helpful!
Hey, it gives them something to feel superior about. While on the road, we've stopped at WM and don't feel a bit like we're not faithful to the camper's code. Why pay for all hook ups and things we won't use, (showers, pool, playground, etc.) when we only want an overnight stopping point? Why carry bathroom, generator, etc. if we're not going to use them? Might as well still be traveling in our old microbus!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:13 PM   #93

We stay at Cracker Barrels all the time, We love campgrounds but sometime we have a lot of miles to cover and we don't like disturbing fellow campers by pulling in, in the middle of the night sleeping for a few hours and disturbing them again when we leave. I look up the locations on their website and it will state if they have rv parking. I usually still give them a call and verify rv parking. Also use Google maps to see how close to the interstate. If their open while we're parked we'll get dessert at night or breakfast in the morning.
Bamashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:00 PM   #94

Send a message via Yahoo to chili's trip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Hmmm "common sense" to me means follow the rules set out by the host or do not stay there and potentially ruin things for those who do. Well IMHO of course.
X2!!!
Old 04-01-2014, 07:04 PM   #95

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Our Plans Full timing for us,
Off the road by 3-5 Pm and then up & leave around 9 Am, after a good breakfast and a couple pots of coffee.
Isn't that what retirement means? Slow down and smell the coffee.
JMO,Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:13 PM   #96

Thats exactly what its about.......
hartk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk57 View Post
We never stay at Walmart or any other private business because: 1. The CG's are normally Mom and Pop businesses that have invested a lot of money to make our trip easy and pleasurable . They need our support to grow and improve. Saving a couple of bucks is not important; 2. We are on a vacation and we want to use the amenities in our coach, so why not use it as intended - awnings out, bar be que dinner, full hook ups and time and space to check the systems each night or morning so we are fully ready for a days driving; 3. With a toad we get helpful advice about things to see and do that are not on the maps or posted on line and the operators know the ropes. They many times have discount tickets to local attractions; 4. If we find a need for any service they know who to call for a fair price and quick service; 5. On occasion we have needed to run to a store when we did not have another vehicle. Most CG's have volunteered to take us on a short trip and some have shuttle services. Last: we are retired and driving an expensive house on wheels and want to support these small businesses who make our travels easy and safe.
X2 on your opinion, but I have done the late night Walmart for that reason only. Had unexpected delays and I hate to wake up the neighborhood in a CG. I have found most of us RV types are "Red blooded Americans" who love or flag,country and small mom & pop businesses, but today's economy does force some to cut corners to be able to see what is around the next bend.

2013 Palazzo 33.3
HVAC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:14 PM   #98

Wow I guess I was never expecting all these replies.... Guess I hit a hot button LOL.
All I want to do is stop at a place very near the highway. As I was looking for CG they all seamed small winding roads to get to. Seeing as where I want to stop is near mountains. I appreciate all the feedback. And actually on this trip we decided to drive thru to our CG and got there around 11PM. Were going again in 8 day and this time we are stoping as we'll have the grandkids and a full RV. So I'm gonna try the WM or Sams. I decided I'll call ahead, no jacks, one slide so we can all sleep. be there at dark and gone by 9AM. Geni only if it's too cold for the grandkids And yes were gonna go buy stuff we'll wait till were there to load up that way we'll support the store.