Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #1

Storage

Hi all, we picked up our Itasca Meridian 36m this week and drove to Northern VA. To my own surprize i was able to manage ok.
We had purchased the MH in October and had Camping World store it for us. Now I have to store it in VA for another 2-3 months until I retire and hit the road.
Please advise what should i do to store? Dont want to winterize or anything like that. Must do things only. I will drive it occasionally for short distance.
I also had purchased a cover for it (class A top line) which i dont want to use as we will be full timing soon. [moderator edit]

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #2

Also please let me know if i should leave any water in Gray and Black tank?

Old 04-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
TGR

I keep 8-10 gallons of water in my black tank during RV season. If you haven't used the toilet and don't plan to while in storage - you could either put in water or leave it empty.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #4

I always store with a little water in each tank. I always keep the toilet bowl full so it can evaporate and keep inside of coach from drying out and keep the seal from drying out. If you store in hotter weather keep the p-traps full as they will dry out and let any smell from tanks in your coach
Old 04-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #5

Thanks. How about Gray tank? Empty ok?
Old 04-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
TGR

I would recommend that you plan some weekend trips to make sure everything works, and you get use to it.

Safe Travels.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #7

Take a look at your MH owner's manual as well as the manuals for each component. Most of them will have storage recommendations. The best thing you can do for your motor home when going into storage is to change the engine oil and filter regardless of how many miles you have driven since the last oil change. Then top off the fuel tank and use a fuel stabilizer for both gas and diesel. Run the MH engine and generator long enough to get the fuel stabilizer through both engines. While it is in storage take it out and drive it for 30 minutes or so at least once a month. Run the generator with an electric load (turn on the air conditioner) at the same time.

My Onan generator manual has a section on storage that includes draining fuel out of the carburetor and spraying a preservative in the air intake before shutting it down for storage. I've spoken to maintenance techs that service Onan generators and they tell me the most common problem they see is varnish from gas that has gone bad in the carburetor. Don't forget to change the oil and filter on the generator as well. It may sound expensive to change oil after only a few thousand miles but the old oil has contaminants in it that will not do you engine any good if you let sit for long periods of time. Remember that oil is the cheapest thing you will ever put in your engine.

Again, read all the manuals that came with your motor home. If you don't have a manual for some component on your MH (I didn't get all my manuals with my MH) it is probably available for free on the component manufacturer's web site . Most of them will have recommendations for storage.

AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote