Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-17-2015, 06:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Storage Bay Locks

I've approached this subject before but as happens many times in any forum, the subject goes way off in a different direction. I'll try once again.

Several of my bay door locks are inoperative. The arms seem to be stuck, bent and otherwise unusable. I attempted to take one of the doors apart according to instructions provided. Due to the way they are constructed it didn't look like a viable option for me. I did attempt it but it just wasn't going to happen.

So my question bopils down to this. Is there some alternative latching system that I could employ so that I could lock my storage bays ?

If you have friends who make you laugh, spend lots of time with them.
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2015, 09:07 PM   #2
Wish you were close to me so we could have a look. I had a Fleetwood but I think it had different latches than you decscribe, don't quite know what you mean by bent rods etc. I now have a Thor and the latches in the storage doors were installed correctly, but the strike plates and hinges looked like grade school kid work. I've redrilled and straightened many of them to get them to work good. A picture would really help. If everything gets straightened up, they should work pretty well.

alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:52 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
You really need to post pics of your latches and bays. There are many "engineers" on here who will come up with ideas once we SEE the problem. I can literally fix anything...see my sig
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cargo Bay Locking Arms

Go to that thread and look at post #7. Basically the paddle handle is in the middle/lower edge of the door and there are rods that extend to the left and right to where the actual latch is. I've lubed the actual latch. The handle lifts seem OK. Somewhere in the mix the rods are bent or something. As I mentioned I've tried to take the door apart, which I'm pretty sure I could do, but it would never be right from that point on.

I have to believe that there is someone else that has had this same issue. If not then how lucky I am to have several of them that are in this condition !!!
If you have friends who make you laugh, spend lots of time with them.
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote