Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #1

Storage Facility Idea

Hi - I have access to some land and as part of development we are considering building large, luxury motorhome or RV rental storage units in South Johnson County, KS. I am trying to determine what level of interest there might be to rent such a facility. These units would be fully enclosed, heated (so you don't need to winterize), 30 & 50-Amp service, with either dumping stations in each bay or community dumping station and fresh water. We haven't determined the size but we’re leaning toward 55' L x 15'W prototype. Does anyone have any interest for a unit like this in the south Johnson County, KS area? Any features you'd like to see? Post or PM me. Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

If you're storing a MH or trailer inside a heated space, why would you need 30 or 50 amp service? 15-20 amps would be plenty to keep batteries charged. What protection against fire in adjoining spaces would there be? Growing up I saw a few fires in boatyard storages that took out 10-50 yachts at one time. While water and sewage dump would be nice, I don't see the need if it's just a storage yard. Most RV owners bring the rig home for loading, preparing for a trip so all those amenities don't sound like much more than more expense in rent. I pay $50 a month in suburban Cincinnati for outdoor storage in a secure lot. What would you be charging for indoor, heated storage?

Like any business plan, I think you need to see what people are willing to pay for such storage and what services they'd like to have. If you're competing with this idea, good luck!
http://www.chofjoco.com/rentingvsowning.html

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:09 PM   #3

The OP is going around joining other RV forums to post the exact same thing as their first post. Suspect a spammer.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard.

I think Bob poses some good questions for your consideration. In addition you may want to consider your liability in case of a catastrophic events, weather, fires, personal injuries, etc. Insurance might cover but my guess it would be very expensive. JMHO

Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think that the OP's next post will ask for a deposit. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '98 Saturn SW2, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:28 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
If you follow the link in my earlier post, I guess there are folks who buy into the luxury garage idea. It holds no interest for me, but to each his own. The site talks about places getting snapped up and show artist's drawings of 'man caves', hot rod shops, etc. If I have my RV in a place like that I'd never get anything done on my rig for all the socializing and rubbernecking. I guess the KC area doesn't go for parking in the driveway or back yard for RVs.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #7

I have heard that there are a number of caves in the KC area that are set up for underground storage. We saw the sign on the east side of town loop last March, with the phone # and simple details. I asked and was told, temps are such, no winterization ever needed. Not sure about provided power.

Know in the DFW area, cover storage is really nice to keep the RV's out of the sun, and some have power. We feel it makes a huge difference to the aging of the coach. We switched from covered with power to inside with power, and hope to never go back "outside" again.

Friends in east TX bought into a upscale, storage place, buying his slot. He says best thing ever. Only problem is it is not wide enough for his coach and towed, he would like to leave with the coach.

A single dump would work, and be less expensive than each bay. And would keep the use of the bay for living down to a minimum. 30 amp would be nice to allow the use of an AC when one was getting the coach ready before or unloading, or working on the coach between trips. Our old covered storage had 4 coaches on a single 15 amp breaker. As long as everyone played nice, and did only battery charger and refer, all was good. A place north of the DFW area, has metered power to each covered parking space. Nice to pre-cool your coach for the upcoming trip, when it is triple digits outside in the shade.

There are at least 3 places for big boy toys, that are high end inside parking. They offer get ready, clean up, detail, dump and more services, along with valet parking. They are lit, full sprinklers, polished floors, and have a showroom feel, and huge clear spans without interior supports. Big bucks, but seem to have a waiting list.
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:50 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I think you would fill the storage unit quickly if it was built to withstand a Category 5 Tornado.

JMTCW.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 07-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #9
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I think you would fill the storage unit quickly if it was built to withstand a Category 5 Tornado. JMTCW. Dr4Film ----- Richard
I was thinkin' the same thing. Is the location near the infamous "tornado alley"??
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTech39 View Post
I was thinkin' the same thing. Is the location near the infamous "tornado alley"??
Only is in TX, OK, KS, MO, and point east and north.

Underground caves make even more sense when you mention tornado's and their hail.
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:45 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
The OP is going around joining other RV forums to post the exact same thing as their first post. Suspect a spammer.
Wouldn't that make sense if they want feedback from RV owners?

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyRV View Post
Hi - I have access to some land and as part of development we are considering building large, luxury motorhome or RV rental storage units in South Johnson County, KS. I am trying to determine what level of interest there might be to rent such a facility. These units would be fully enclosed, heated (so you don't need to winterize), 30 & 50-Amp service, with either dumping stations in each bay or community dumping station and fresh water. We haven't determined the size but we’re leaning toward 55' L x 15'W prototype. Does anyone have any interest for a unit like this in the south Johnson County, KS area? Any features you'd like to see? Post or PM me. Thanks!
I don't know where "Johnson County KS" is--is there a large city or metro area nearby? I'd suggest checking other storage facilities in the area to see how their occupancy rate is, what they charge, what services they offer. For storage, I agree with the other poster who said why bother with 30 or 50 AMP service? I also don't see the need for a dump station at each bay...??

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:49 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
It's in the SW suburbs of Kansas City, KS. The link I put in my post #2 is a place in Johnson County also.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-28-2014, 07:20 PM   #14

First one would have to know the price of such a place. As far as full hookups, it would be nice at the end and beginning of a trip to fill water and dump waste. Again, all depends on what it costs. Every one has their own perception of value.

Tags
storage