Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2018, 05:49 PM   #1

Storage question (not battery-related)

Hello all,
Based on some searches, I have a little different twist on the whole how-best-to-store question.

What actions do you take to minimize the funk, stink, sewer, and general non-freshness of the RV when stored for a period of time.

I plan to do a good emptying out of the black and grey tank, but what else? Do folks leave water in the toilets to generate a seal? Anything else I'm missing?
ls1ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2018, 06:33 PM   #2

Here is a link to over 500 discussions related to your question..

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22w...=12&gws_rd=ssl
Old 05-22-2018, 09:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ashley View Post
Hello all,
Based on some searches, I have a little different twist on the whole how-best-to-store question.

What actions do you take to minimize the funk, stink, sewer, and general non-freshness of the RV when stored for a period of time.

I plan to do a good emptying out of the black and grey tank, but what else? Do folks leave water in the toilets to generate a seal? Anything else I'm missing?
We thoroughly clean the interior of our rig and dump the tanks before storing it, every time without exception.

To answer your question on leaving some water in the bottom of the bowl to create a seal: yes. We always pour in RV tank deodorizer after dumping the tanks. Grey water too.

Glade plug ins are heat activated. We have some plugged into our outlets and when we are plugged in or on generator they are putting out. We live in Texas so it's pretty hot sitting in the storage lot and the plug ins keep putting out scent.

Bedding can get pretty musty pretty quick when left in a closed up area. Make sure it gets washed often. We strip the beds and take the bedding home if it is going to sit for a while in storage.

We may go a little overboard but it smells like daisies every time we open it up!
Old 05-23-2018, 06:38 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The best way to eliminate those issues is ventelation .. Sadly this also leads to other issues when stored.

I stored my Rig in the back yard. And well..

THe PUP was generally stored set up and used from time to time for storage and other things.

When I went to a TT I stored the coffee and refreshment stuff for my daughter's after school orchestra for 3 years. So I was in and out twice a week loading the stuff into my van and back into storage

Witht he motor home well that's where i "stuffed" my ham rig so I was in it every day. No problems due to ventelation.

ONe year I had a problem (mold) when I was not using the trailer for storage.. Had a fun time getting rid of it all.. DID though. Knew what kills mold (Clorox) and used liberal amounts.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:37 AM   #5

If the tanks are dumped and cleaned with several gallons of water with tank deodorizer added, they will be fine. Clean the inside as though you were going to show it for sale. Add water to all the sink drains and plug them to reduce evaporation, as the grey tank odor is just as bad as the black. I also replace the vacuum brakes at each sink every 2-3 years. I'll also crack a couple of windows open and leave two of the roof vents open (they are covered) for a natural flow of fresh air. We use our coach for several trips, so it doesn't sit for more than a few weeks at a time, but it always smells fresh when we go.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, storage