Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #1

Storing for few weeks in twenties?

when you store for a few weeks expecting temps at night to maybe dip in low twenties, do you leave HydroHot furnace on? I have drained water, pushed air through lines, little anti-f in mostly empty gray & black tanks, and have most all faucets & drain lines open, would it be proper to still turn on HHot furnace to around 43? I will not hit the road again for few weeks but temps keep dropping to upper teens or in twenties at night....just want to be safe.
Bill
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bill, sounds like you are pretty well winterized,As for your hydro-hot system, it has a glycol based antifreeze in the system, if you want to keep the inside above freezing, you could run it, but if no heat is needed, it will be OK.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Hi Bill, sounds like you are pretty well winterized,As for your hydro-hot system, it has a glycol based antifreeze in the system, if you want to keep the inside above freezing, you could run it, but if no heat is needed, it will be OK.
P,
thanks for reply. I feel more comfortable with a little heat going even with thermostat set as low as 43. I just don't trust that I have every bit of water out, but with most faucets and valves open I think all has a means to expand. I do have a big concern there might be some water trapped in ice maker but guess I will know when I turn it on...hindsight is that I should have disconnected the water to ice maker a month or two ago.....maybe if any water there it had room to expand.
bill
Old 02-03-2014, 07:23 PM   #4

Prolonged 27 degrees will freeze water and pipes. If its above that you may be ok
dans1999f-53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are going to leave the Aqua Hot on, you will be fine. To properly winterize the Aqua Hot, you must pump pink RV antifreeze thru the fresh water coil or it can freeze. If you have not done that, you have no choice but to leave the Aqua Hot on to keep water in that coil from freezing.

My coach is not winterized since we use if off and on all year. I just left the Aqua Hot electric element and the burner on, set the T-stats to 46 and put a trouble light in the wet bay connected to a Thermocube. We've had temps in single digits and everything is fine. You must, of course, make sure you have plenty of diesel fuel in your tank.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
If you are going to leave the Aqua Hot on, you will be fine. To properly winterize the Aqua Hot, you must pump pink RV antifreeze thru the fresh water coil or it can freeze. If you have not done that, you have no choice but to leave the Aqua Hot on to keep water in that coil from freezing.

My coach is not winterized since we use if off and on all year. I just left the Aqua Hot electric element and the burner on, set the T-stats to 46 and put a trouble light in the wet bay connected to a Thermocube. We've had temps in single digits and everything is fine. You must, of course, make sure you have plenty of diesel fuel in your tank.
Fortunately, before I took MH in for service I decided to drain water, put air through lines, and added a tad of antifreeze to gray & black tanks just for heck of it. As it turned out temperature did get into twenties at night and every since I have brought it back home there have been numerous nights in twenties. At least daytime highs get above freezing. At home, with shore power, I have left faucets & low valves open and turned on diesel & electric switches for AquaHot with furnace thermostats at 45. Hope it warms up soon as we prepare for our late February AZ trip.

I think the trouble light and Thermo Cube is something I should also do. What wattage bulb do you use in compartment? My space between wet bay liner and door is not great so do not want to melt the plastic liner. I think if I lay light in bottom where sewage hose attachment is I should be safe. b
Old 02-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck454 View Post
Fortunately, before I took MH in for service I decided to drain water, put air through lines, and added a tad of antifreeze to gray & black tanks just for heck of it. As it turned out temperature did get into twenties at night and every since I have brought it back home there have been numerous nights in twenties. At least daytime highs get above freezing. At home, with shore power, I have left faucets & low valves open and turned on diesel & electric switches for AquaHot with furnace thermostats at 45. Hope it warms up soon as we prepare for our late February AZ trip.

I think the trouble light and Thermo Cube is something I should also do. What wattage bulb do you use in compartment? My space between wet bay liner and door is not great so do not want to melt the plastic liner. I think if I lay light in bottom where sewage hose attachment is I should be safe. b
I have two trouble lights with 75 watt bulbs in there. My wet bay also has a small heat exchanger attached to the Aqua Hot but my pump is mounted to the floor which is not insulated. So, the bulbs are located near the pump.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:39 PM   #8

Quote:
I have two trouble lights with 75 watt bulbs in there. My wet bay also has a small heat exchanger attached to the Aqua Hot but my pump is mounted to the floor which is not insulated. So, the bulbs are located near the pump.
My pump is on opposite side of coach from wet/sewage bay in a water manifold compartment and the way it is arranged there is just barely room for pump....compartment door almost bumps it. I have water valve open below pump and hopefully got all water out of pump. I am a little anxious to get water back into coach and find out if I was successful in my draining.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:45 AM   #9

Quote:
I use trouble lights as well. What do we do now that 75 watt bulbs are no longer manufactured?

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
I use trouble lights as well. What do we do now that 75 watt bulbs are no longer manufactured?

Don
Well, I have a bunch of incandescent bulbs....40W, 60W, 75W, 100W. They will probably last a long time. Also, I retire in May so hopefully this will be the last winter we have to stay anywhere where I would need them .