Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Storing my Class A for one month

I will be leaving my Class A motorhome at a campground outside storage facility for the month of February. I plan on coming back the first week of March to spend another week or 2 in the Gulf Shores area. I plan to empty my fresh water and grey/black tanks before I leave. My coach has a battery disconnect switch so I do plan to cut off the power for the month that I am gone. I also plan to use the leveling jacks as well. I apologize because I am sure this topic has been covered before. Have I covered all the bases or am I missing something? Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Leave the refrigerator doors open ( empty of course ). That will avoid mold. Also if you have roof vent covers like Maxx Air , leave the vents open. Air flow helps to avoid moisture / mold as well. I'm sure you'll get more.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:27 PM   #3

Winterize the entire water system, including the pipes and water heater. Just draining the tanks is not enough.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:47 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I didn't think Gulf Shores got that cold .EEK.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:14 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I wasn't planning on winterizing since the average low temperature only get down to 49 degrees in February.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Other than leaving the frig doors opens like Clifftall suggested. That's about all we do when we leave the MH over on the coast in the summer. I was going to say cut off the city water, but since that will most likely be done when moving to the storage area in the campground....your good to go!!
Old 01-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by meffrig View Post
I wasn't planning on winterizing since the average low temperature only get down to 49 degrees in February.
It is not the "average" cold that matters...it's the actual cold. Look into record lows for the area you are considering and let that be your guide. After all, your pipes don't much care if 28 degrees is an average or record low.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:46 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
It is not the "average" cold that matters...it's the actual cold. Look into record lows for the area you are considering and let that be your guide. After all, your pipes don't much care if 28 degrees is an average or record low.
I understand your reasoning, but it would have to be a hard freeze at 28 degrees for quite a few days before her pipes (not under pressure) would even think of freezing up. We're talking about the Gulf Coast here. If her pipes freeze the rest of us are in real trouble.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:59 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
I understand your reasoning, but it would have to be a hard freeze at 28 degrees for quite a few days before her pipes (not under pressure) would even think of freezing up. We're talking about the Gulf Coast here. If her pipes freeze the rest of us are in real trouble.
We all weight the consequences ourselves. I live on the gulf coast of Texas, and normally don't winterize but my coach is stored inside a storage bay--door closed but no heat. I had to run my LP furnace during the recent freeze until I decided that the risk of expensive damage wasn't with the Modest cost of winterizing. To each his/her own...but my money is well protected.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:32 AM   #10

Man, I also doubt you would have to do more winterizing than draining the tanks and lines. I personally wouldn't put it on the leveling jacks either. There's no point unless it is a terribly uneven ground they have you store it on.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:12 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You did say it was only for a month, right? Hell, I park mine for 3-4 months at a time without any special prep for drivetrain or tires. Of course I'm living in it, so the internal systems are active. You already said you're draining the tanks, so just open the low point drains as well, and there'll be nothing substantial left inside to freeze.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:23 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
You did say it was only for a month, right? Hell, I park mine for 3-4 months at a time without any special prep for drivetrain or tires. Of course I'm living in it, so the internal systems are active. You already said you're draining the tanks, so just open the low point drains as well, and there'll be nothing substantial left inside to freeze.
In my coach, the low point drain does not drain the hot water heater. To do that I have to remover the HWH plug.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
With fridge doors propped open, I say you are good to go. And I always store with jacks down to relieve a bit of stress on the tires. I wouldn't worry about draining the tanks either if only for storage reasons. (less liquid = dries out faster & dried out black tank = bad news)
Old 02-03-2014, 12:20 AM   #14

leaving your coach for a month

Battery disconnect switches don't always shut everything off. There are certain things that are "hot-wired" and can cause a battery drain. Remove the negative cable and wrap the end
with electrical tape.