Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2014, 05:33 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Storing RV for 6 weeks in northern Florida Dec to Feb

Planning to leave motorhome stored in Northern Florida for 6 weeks mid Dec to Feb. Concerned about humidity and mold or mildew. Not sure if I want to get a dehumidifier and leave it running after reading of recalls due to overheating and fires. Should I leave the air conditioner running?
mickeylg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2014, 05:44 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeylg12 View Post
Planning to leave motorhome stored in Northern Florida for 6 weeks mid Dec to Feb. Concerned about humidity and mold or mildew. Not sure if I want to get a dehumidifier and leave it running after reading of recalls due to overheating and fires. Should I leave the air conditioner running?
In that time of the year, with the " Polar vortex's" we have been having..... humidity......Dec-Feb?....I would worry more about a cold weather snap and freezing
Isn't the humidity low in northern Florida that time of year??
Old 11-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #3

Mold won't be the issue, a possible frozen pipe may be, but even that is a really really really long shot. Go to Southern States or Farm Supply and get a couple boxes of a powder drying agent or plain baking soda and it will be fine.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Dec. and Jan. are 2 of our driest months of the year in NE Fl. There is little chance that you would have a problem in that short time with mildew.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:04 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Believe me, mold and mildew won't be a problem in north Fl! Last year we lived in the panhandle right on the Gulf of Mexico. The palm trees in my back yard froze to death! Literally! Ice sickles hanging from the sable palms, they did not die. The Queen Anne's did. Turn on your heat, keep it at 55 degrees. Be sure to have a heated exterior hose and basement heat. I had basement heat with Aqua hot but my water hose froze and the pressure regulator exploded! We moved further south.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Believe me, mold and mildew won't be a problem in north Fl! Last year we lived in the panhandle right on the Gulf of Mexico. The palm trees in my back yard froze to death! Literally! Ice sickles hanging from the sable palms, they did not die. The Queen Anne's did. Turn on your heat, keep it at 55 degrees. Be sure to have a heated exterior hose and basement heat. I had basement heat with Aqua hot but my water hose froze and the pressure regulator exploded! We moved further south.
I never did get around to looking you up, we were at Tyndall AFB during that cold snap and the bridge closings. You were at Mexico Beach right? We were with full-timing friends and stayed busy all the time.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:36 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi Ray,
Sorry we missed you. You can vouch for that polar vortex for sure! I'm a FL native and never have I experienced anything like that. Hated to leave Mexico Bch. It is a really beautiful and pristine area hence "The forgotten Coast" title but it was just to damn cold for DW, myself and furry friends. If your near Patrick AFB give us a PM lunch is our treat.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ice sickles... Thats funny...
Up here we call them Icicles...

XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:21 PM   #9

Mickeylg12,
Get some of these. I used them on our boat in the past. They really help. I know it's cold but, ...

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_3vgilqgpw5_b

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hunidity is higher than what it should be inside the Rv. It was low about 25% earlier today but is up to 65% tonight at 8:30. Have heard stories about closed up Rv's getting moldy so did not want to come back to that. But it is going down to 32 tonight and will hit mid 20's a couple nights next week. mostly been lows in the 50's and low 60's so we are getting the cold snap here, too. Florida friends have dehumidifiers but they are also here most of the year. We never notice moisture on windows although there was a bit on the driver's side window this AM when I put the shade up.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:49 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks! We have aqua hot and basement is heated so that should not be a problem. Planning to disconnect water hoses.
Heading to Henderson Beach SP in Feb and then Florida Caverns SP. Eastbank Corps of Engineers in Georgia in March. Hoping for lots of sun!!
Old 11-14-2014, 07:38 PM   #12

What about a couple of "Damp Rid" packets or buckets? They sell the product at lowes or Home Depot . They are basically moisture absorbing crystals. Should last for most, if not all of that storage period. Those coupled with a cracked vent or window and I think you would be ok
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoran1973 View Post
What about a couple of "Damp Rid" packets or buckets? They sell the product at lowes or Home Depot . They are basically moisture absorbing crystals. Should last for most, if not all of that storage period. Those coupled with a cracked vent or window and I think you would be ok
We use Damp Rid in the MH closets and our household closets continually, and never have a musty smell. Do not open/crack windows or vent while using Damp Rid, you'll only defeat its effectiveness.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:07 AM   #14

I live in Pensacola, Florida. Mold and mildew would be a problem in the summer but not for the time frame you are talking about. I would be more concerned about frozen plumbing, though. Freezes normally are extremely rare around here but have been quite frequent last year and this fall. We had temps drop to 15 degrees last February. We had temps of 25 degrees last night. Might want to winterize it before you leave it, to play it safe.
jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida