Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2019, 03:03 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Storm prep

Here we are enjoying another major storm here in south Florida. My thoughts go to images of overturned rigs. My qiestion regards jacks: up? or down? Make it solid and stable? Or allow it to ride the breeze on its own suspension? Any one with thoughts or experience in this manner I'd be grateful if you would weigh in.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2019, 03:17 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I sat in mine for hurricane Irma in Lehigh Acres (I’m sure you remember Irma) and to tell you the truth I really saw no difference with the levelers up or down. Same unit as in my signature

Edit;
Needless to say awnings and slides were in.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigzag03 View Post
Here we are enjoying another major storm here in south Florida. My thoughts go to images of overturned rigs. My qiestion regards jacks: up? or down? Make it solid and stable? Or allow it to ride the breeze on its own suspension? Any one with thoughts or experience in this manner I'd be grateful if you would weigh in.
Jacks up and get the heck out of there. lol
Old 08-29-2019, 04:45 PM   #4

Did Irma go right over you John? I know it hit Marco which caused it to wobble right a little before it started up the state. That jog may have put it right over you. Rough ride I bet.

I had our coach parked on a slab on the east side next to our home in Sarasota - Irma was East of us but still put a whooping on our area - lots of trees were cleaned out (and dumped in my yard). I had the jacks down and my coach is sitting only 9 inches or so off the ground when level - so I feel that the way my coach auto levels and dumps air suspension helps it stay more stable. Other non air ride systems may not make any difference since the coach is still up at ride height.

OP - If you must stay, hunker down, maybe get some mobile home tie down stakes and strap your RV down?
My Sister and BIL are new to full timing in their 5er and they're in Clermont FL right now - They are twitching and will make a decision on what they are going to do after the report Friday morning. North Alabama or Mississippi is looking good right now but will take a good day to get there - so if you have no reason to stay, hit road before they become parking lots.

We're staying put because I have other toys (2 boats) and a house to safe guard. I am not too fond of putting up shutters over our 18 windows but luckily we only have to do this once every few years. Two years ago was Irma. Sept 10 is when it finally hit the west coast of FL.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
Jacks up and get the heck out of there. lol

2013 Ford CMax hybrid toad.
av8tor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:44 PM   #6

You still have time to get to Arizona.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:46 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We went up to Arcadia for Irma, sat tight behind Walmart with a couple of others, one slide out, jacks up. We rocked a little but no big deal. Eye went right over us, but much diminished. We only left because of surge possibility, not an issue this time. We'll ride this out at home.
So far the consensus is let it flex, don't drop the jacks?
Old 08-29-2019, 06:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Did Irma go right over you John? I know it hit Marco which caused it to wobble right a little before it started up the state. That jog may have put it right over you. Rough ride I bet.

I had our coach parked on a slab on the east side next to our home in Sarasota - Irma was East of us but still put a whooping on our area - lots of trees were cleaned out (and dumped in my yard). I had the jacks down and my coach is sitting only 9 inches or so off the ground when level - so I feel that the way my coach auto levels and dumps air suspension helps it stay more stable. Other non air ride systems may not make any difference since the coach is still up at ride height.

OP - If you must stay, hunker down, maybe get some mobile home tie down stakes and strap your RV down?
My Sister and BIL are new to full timing in their 5er and they're in Clermont FL right now - They are twitching and will make a decision on what they are going to do after the report Friday morning. North Alabama or Mississippi is looking good right now but will take a good day to get there - so if you have no reason to stay, hit road before they become parking lots.

We're staying put because I have other toys (2 boats) and a house to safe guard. I am not too fond of putting up shutters over our 18 windows but luckily we only have to do this once every few years. Two years ago was Irma. Sept 10 is when it finally hit the west coast of FL.
Friday may be too late unless they have a full tank of gas with extra 5 gallon cans. My wife traveled late this afternoon from Williston to Lake City and saw many gas stations out of gas and long lines at the others. It's only gonna get worse from here on out.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigzag03 View Post
Manually lower the jacks to stabilize the rig like you would with trailer jacks; don't bother going for a true level or putting too much weight on them.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:03 PM   #10

We rode out Michael inland cat1
pointed into wind, away from trees, slides in, jacks up. When the eye went over, rotated into new wind direction. Next time I will skidaddle....
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:12 PM   #11

Have a house in SE Fl... Taking the meows and leaving that, going to get the RV and find someplace with nothing more than predicted tropical storm force winds. Did the same for Matthew and Irma. Getting tired of that kinda nonsense, hope to have the house sold before the next one.

Probably will sit with the jacks down and slides in, either up against a building or in the middle of a truckstop surrounded by other big rigs.

It's not the wind that is the problem, it's the crap that blows IN the wind that causes all the mayhem.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:26 PM   #12

Glad I'm not there. Take care everyone.
Rubirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:58 PM   #13

Never point into the wind! The windshield is the most vulnerable side of the coach to flying debris. Once breached, the wind blown rain will fill the interior. Point the front of the coach away from the wind if you want a chance of it surviving.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:09 PM   #14

If you decide to leave and can't locate a spot to stay (Everything is booked solid right now).................

Hurricane Evacuation Safe Haven

Stay safe.
Oversoul is offline   Reply With Quote