Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2011, 07:42 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
stove top burner control

Can anyone tell me how to fix the burner control on the gas burner. The front one workes well, the back two can be lit but when you rey to turn them to a lower heat setting the knob won't turn in that direction. These probably have never worked and the original owner never had it fixed. I purchased the unit and never used the stove until the 30 day warrantee ran out. The only control is to turn the contrlo knob carefully toward the off position to get the desired heat. We are leaving the cold north for Florida and Texas within two weeks so I will have the time to look into repairing the problem then. Any suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Can you turn the two burners up higher even though you can't turn them down?

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Hi Mike.
The burners are in the light/high position. They will light but that's as far as the knobs turn unless they are turned toward the off position
Old 11-15-2011, 08:54 AM   #4

Oldprof1, turn them all the way back until they stop(no gas coming out), then pull the knobs off and then put them back on the stem (Off upper most). It sounds to me like some one took them off and did not put them back on right. Hope this helps
Old 11-15-2011, 09:06 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks but I tried that to no avail! I'm thinking they were never assymbled properly, possible?
Old 11-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
the 2 rear burners on both my old class C and my new class a have very little adjustment. Ie turn it on high to light then very slowly adjust back down toward off. The front burner has a large adjustment range from High to simmer.
It sounds like you have the same issue.
If you live near camping world or other store, take a look at the display stoves and I think you will find the same issue.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Often the knobs are spring loaded push in to turn from the OFF position. It may be that "Gunk" has formed on the shaft keeping it from being pushed back out by the spring, or said spring may have failed.

Try pulling gently on the knob while you "Wiggle it" (or try pushing in as well)

No guarantee, save that since this is a "no cost" suggestion your free is hearby refunded .
Old 11-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Wa8yxm
Thanks for the reply. The stove top has never been used! There is no indication of discolouration at the burners. I am thinking of taking it apart to see if it is repairable or needs to be replaced. This is indeed a strange bird.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:23 AM   #9

Not sure if this helps but... My stovetop in my TT is a Magic Chef 3 Burner like you are describing (1 in front, 2 in rear). It is designed by the manufacturer to have full adjustment on the front burner and only the high setting on the rears. It sounds EXACTLY like the issue you are describing. If yours is the same, there is no fix, because it isn't broken!! Just a goofy design.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:50 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks to all that replied. Yesterday I took the control apart. Sure enough they were designed that way. I removed the stop, reinstalled the control and lit the burner. Sure enough, DrivinMyHome and erstanfo were right "just a goofy design". Thanks again for the input.

Happy campin everyone!
Old 11-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldprof1 View Post
Thanks to all that replied. Yesterday I took the control apart. Sure enough they were designed that way. I removed the stop, reinstalled the control and lit the burner. Sure enough, DrivinMyHome and erstanfo were right "just a goofy design". Thanks again for the input.

Happy campin everyone!
Any chance you were able to get it to work more 'normal' after removing the stop? I've been wondering about a fix for this design flaw as well...

DrivinMyHome is offline   Reply With Quote