Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2014, 07:57 PM   #15

I've never had a gfi breaker on the water heater, just a normal cheap breaker. Only gfi breaker on this coach serves one outside outlet for the engine heater. Other sink and outside outside outlets are gfci outlets.
I'd start with a new breaker. About five bucks at Lowes or Home Depot.

Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #16

Thanks to all of you for your help. The only gfi protection is on that breaker that is tripping. I removed and replaced the outside outlet as it was indeed a little corroded and resealed the housing to make it completely waterproof. So I am thinking the GFI 15 amp breaker is faulty. It is a Tri-Star 45 amp output converter w/12vt staged charger. It is a series 6300 - model number 6345. It uses push type breakers. Anyone know where I can get these? I checked at Home Depot but no luck.
Thanks again for all the help... Once i get this problem fixed, My Elandan will be 100% working....Can't wait for warmer weather to take it on it's maiden voyage down to padre Island(250 miles) and spend a week boondocking on the beach and watch bikinis walk by.
Thanks, Cappy

Old 02-06-2014, 09:00 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Electrical issues can be puzzling. This happened to me back in 1971 and was one of the more puzzling electrical problems I have ever encountered. It was also my first year teaching automotive at the local HS so my experience level was very minimal as well.

We had bought a 1968 Buick Opel used. The wipers would stop anywhere along their travel when you switched them off. So we just turned them off when they were down. I thought that was the German way and it was used so we never worked it when it was new. The radio was also intermittent. A few weeks later the starter would continue cranking after the key was released or even after the engine started.

THE FIX

The previous owner installed a new radio antenna on the front fender. Water leaked under the antenna down the inside of the fender and ran behind the fuse block. Greenish white corrosion began to build up around all the connections behind the fuse block. When I found the fuse block I didn't think it was the problem but I knew it needed fixed. So I cleaned and fixed all connections, re-installed everything and ALL electrical issues were fixed. Yes the wipers worked as they were supposed to parking themselves below the window.

The current was flowing across circuits where it was not supposed to go.
TeJay
Old 02-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I suspect your Tri Star 6345 is (or was originally) a Magnetek 6345, the same converter/breaker box that was in our old coach. The original 6345 was a single stage converter that had pretty terrible specs so I suspect a PO replaced the converter portion with a better three stage charger. There are still kits available to do this.

Our 6345 took Westinghouse BR115 15A breakers, at the time replacements for them were available at Home Depot, I replaced a single with a Dual 15A when I added a circuit.

The Westinghouse breakers are listed as "Interchangeable" along with ITE/Siemens, GE and a number of other brands. I happen to have some ITE breakers at home and they look identical to the BR breaker, but I do not see anyone recommending replacing "interchangeable" breakers with a different brand, here is an example from an advice site for DIY'ers.

I have always stuck with the same brand breakers that are in the panel or used Connecticut Electric which are classified for use in many brands of panels, meaning the mfr has tested them in the different panels and will stand behind them.

BTW, Connecticut Electric now owns the company which owns the Magnetek brand, Parallax.
Luv2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:29 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
what push type?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy58 View Post
. It uses push type breakers. Anyone know where I can get these? I checked at Home Depot but no luck.

Thanks, Cappy
NOt sure what push type you have. Hope it is not a big square pushmatic from the 70's. I know I'm no help here but try this website.

https://bestconverter.3dcartstores.c...ses-_c_57.html

If it is a small round push button type, you might try a marine outlet or website. HD or Lowes do not carry these.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:09 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
.... It uses push type breakers. Anyone know where I can get these? I checked at Home Depot but no luck.
Sorry, I didn't catch that it had push-type breakers, can you post a picture of them?
Old 02-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Google PUSHMATIC

Connecticut Electric UBIP115 Pushmatic Circuit Breaker, 1-Pole 15-Amp - Amazon.com
Old 02-07-2014, 01:29 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Thanks, wa8yxm, I also found them but we're not sure yet that the OP has the pushmatic breakers or just some kind of pushbutton circuit protectors. I was asking him to see if he could post a pic of what he had.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:35 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
could be Miniature but who knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
Thanks, wa8yxm, I also found them but we're not sure yet that the OP has the pushmatic breakers or just some kind of pushbutton circuit protectors. I was asking him to see if he could post a pic of what he had.
If they are the miniature type with a round push button about the size of a pencil eraser he can find them on ebay by googling it. some are only for DC but most will be good for AC too. I have them on my boat but they are all for DC.
30 of them.

Some times a breaker will get old and if it gets hot it will trip. CKT breaker trip on both over current and on heat. if he did over heat it and then have no load it trip if it was hot. I had one in my boat that used to trip in the summer because of the excessive heat beating on the panel through a window.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
Sorry, I didn't catch that it had push-type breakers, can you post a picture of them?
Here is the pics of my breakers. They are the push to reset type.
I cannot find them online anywhere.
It is the very bottom breaker with the GFI that is tripping. It does not get hot before it trips either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010241.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	55666   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010242.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	55667  

Old 02-07-2014, 10:57 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Try this link for a variety of sources for the Tri-Shield Pushmatic Circuit breakers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tri-...m=122&ie=UTF-8

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-08-2014, 06:58 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
1 picture = 1000 words PUSHMATIC

Quote:
Here is the pics of my breakers. They are the push to reset type.
I cannot find them online anywhere.
It is the very bottom breaker with the GFI that is tripping. It does not get hot before it trips either.
As I said earlier, PUSHMATIC, but more telling is the date of the product and information on the label. (picture tells it all) You are looking for breakers that are almost 50, hear that, 50 years old. These are the same I have in my home built in 1967. Although these old breakers were manufactured under a variety of companies they cost some bucks. they also were not all inter-changeable.

you want to google (old pushmatic circuit breakers) as for the tri-shield, not so sure you will find easily. these are very difficult to get locally. I get mine from my electrician who does the high voltage side of my fire alarm installations.

suggest you take out the old breaker and look for model number and search that. some ebay or old house supplier may have exactly what you want. I am upgrading to a 200 amp service this spring and will give all mine to my electrician. sorry.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Tri-shield pushmatic breakers were made by Gould ITE, now part of Siemens, here and here are a couple that should be an exact replacement. There are several others on eBay including what looks like a new old stock with a box, search for "pushmatic (gfi,gfci)".
Old 02-08-2014, 11:18 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Now that we know what the breaker is, it very well may be good. You may have a real ground fault. Replacing the outside outlet might of fixed it, if not it could be a chafed wire or moister anywhere along the circuit path. A ohm meter and/or a megger could help you find it. Good Luck!

rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote