Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2019, 05:06 PM   #1

Strange noise from generator

Our Onan 12.5k generator makes a “squealing” sound while running. It runs fine but I’d like to figure out what the noise is. Any ideas?

https://youtu.be/F-2n0dzee4E
dwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2019, 05:18 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Kinda sounds like your fan belt is slipping
Old 05-25-2019, 05:57 PM   #3

Sounds like a dry bearing to me. Cross your fingers and pray it's just the belt.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:03 PM   #4

Are you the original owner? Cummins warranties the drive system for life for the original owner.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:36 AM   #5

I’m the 2nd owner. Just purchased it a month ago.

The PO told me that he had issues in the past with it over heating under heavy load but only while moving. He rigged up some things to change the airflow around the generator and said he never had an issue again.

I’ve read that some people change that fan belt every couple years. I don’t think this one has ever been changed and it is 14 years old.
2003 Country Coach Prevost #60479
2019 Ford F150 Toad
Old 05-26-2019, 10:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwertz View Post
I’m the 2nd owner. Just purchased it a month ago.

The PO told me that he had issues in the past with it over heating under heavy load but only while moving. He rigged up some things to change the airflow around the generator and said he never had an issue again.

I’ve read that some people change that fan belt every couple years. I don’t think this one has ever been changed and it is 14 years old.
If you’re not the first owner I believe they warranty the parts for life but not the labor.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:53 PM   #7

Lifetime? Really? That’s great to hear.

I’ll call Cummins on Tuesday to see how they want me to handle it.
2019 Ford F150 Toad
Old 06-04-2019, 10:27 AM   #8

I stopped in to my local Cummins shop (lucky to have one 3 miles from home).

They listened to it and decided it was probably a loose belt. The tech and I spent about 90 minutes taking the top cover off and adjusting the belt. There was probably an inch or more of deflection and now much less. So far it sounds 100% better.

I was shocked when I went into the office to see what the damage was going to be. Total charge? $0

This is the second time I’ve been to this shop, first time was to get the codes read. They didn’t charge me for that either.

Really nice people there. And the tech I worked with (both times) was really cool.

So I’m crossing my fingers that it was just a loose belt.
2019 Ford F150 Toad

Tags
generator, noise