Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2015, 11:11 AM   #1

Strange Occurrence During Engine Start

I have a 2011 Tiffin RV with a Cummins engine (ISC 8.3) 380 hp. When I hit the ignition switch the engine cranks over for a moment but then stops for a second. While still holding the key in the ignition position the engine begins to cranks again and the engine starts. Has anyone else experienced this type of start? Cummins says that this is abnormal and that there should not be an initial pause. Theyíre suggesting taking the coach to a certified service center to have it checked out, which I will probably do. Wanted to check here though to see if anyone else has had the same problem. The coach batteries and start batteries are all ok from what I can tell and after the first start of the day the engine starts fine with no hesitation. Because Iím not on the road every day I canít tell if this happens all the time. It does seem to happen, however, after the coach sits idle for a few days.

Comments welcomed! Thank you!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2015, 11:42 AM   #2

Strange Occurrence During Engine Start

I have a 2011 Tiffin RV with a Cummins engine (ISC 8.3) 380 hp. When I hit the ignition switch the engine cranks over for a moment but then stops for a second. While still holding the key in the ignition position the engine begins to cranks again and the engine starts. Has anyone else experienced this type of start? Cummins says that this is abnormal and that there should not be an initial pause. Theyíre suggesting taking the coach to a certified service center to have it checked out, which I will probably do. Wanted to check here though to see if anyone else has had the same problem. The coach batteries and start batteries are all ok from what I can tell and after the first start of the day the engine starts fine with no hesitation. Because Iím not on the road every day I canít tell if this happens all the time. It does seem to happen, however, after the coach sits idle for a few days.

Comments welcomed! Thank you!

Old 09-23-2015, 12:00 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It sounds like weak batteries.
Next time it sits for a couple of days, engage the Aux Start button to put your house batteries in parallel with your chassis batteries and then start it up.

If it starts normally, the chassis batteries are going bad (or you have corroded terminals)

Regards,

Dan
Old 09-23-2015, 05:02 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club

I've not heard of it, and Cummins is recommending you take it in. I'd follow their advice, a service call now would be more convenient than a tow from a remote campground to a service center.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:48 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If you have a battery disconnect for the chassis battery try cycling it a couple times.

Mine was kind of doing the same thing and the next thing ya know the disconnect failed and then nothing would happen. The disconnect provides power to the dash and when the dash looses power it wouldn't start.

Replaced the disconnect and now everything seems to be working fine.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:52 PM   #6

Sorry if you are already aware, but you might want to turn the ignition switch on and leave it there for 15 or so seconds before cranking the engine
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:06 AM   #7

Tried that but to no avail. Now considering replacing the start batteries. Thanks for your reply!
Old 09-24-2015, 12:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumper777 View Post
Tried that but to no avail. Now considering replacing the start batteries. Thanks for your reply!
Auto parts stores will do a free load test. But you have to carry them in.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:15 AM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumper777 View Post
I thought I was having battery problems so I replaced all four 925 CCA starting batteries. Didn't help. Found out the ISX is known for having a weak starter and needs to be replaced with a geared Denso unit. The batteries cost more than the starter would have.
I also had a starter do much the same on our '02 Dutch Star with ISC. Found out the starter had a bad pole and it finally gave out in front of the house as we tried to leave for the weekend.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:43 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Nothing in what you described sounds like weak batteries. I assumed from your description that it cranked normally, paused, then cranked normally until starting. If that's the case, nothing indicates battery issues, but it could be a weak solenoid or bad connection. I'd clean all battery connections and ground connections and see if the hesitation still occurs. Lot's cheaper than replacing batteries, and it eliminates one issue.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine