Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2015, 07:12 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If slides scare you then never look at what makes up an airplane fuselage. while you sit in your seat at 38,000 feet you are separated from the outside air by a thin 3/16ths of an inch of aluminum that you could literally poke a pencil through.

Seems very scary but the safety record of modern planes proves the engineering. I think you are probably safer than you think but lets not test it, he he.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 07:17 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For me it's not about the safety, I believe motorhomes built today are probably all quite similar in terms of safety and are fairly well engineered in that regard. My concern regarding full wall slides is about structural integrity and the possibility of damage or failure of components over time.

SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:20 PM   #17

My best advise is that if something like a full side slide or slides over 14 feet are going to be a constant concern, perhaps you might look into the shorter RV's with much shorter slides. Perhaps ask the manufacturer for some information regarding their structual integrity designs for their RV's.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:30 PM   #18

I have a full wall slide in my 2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40G. When the slide is in it has electric locking devices that are in place. I do a lot of "off road dry camping", with 26,000 miles on the rig with a lot of twisting washes and uneven dirt road, and having it stuck up to its frame in sand, it handles and feels the same as the day I drove it off the lot when new.

I wish they made a all wheel drive DP.

As far as having the full wall slide out, I've been in some of the strongest winds in southern CA has to offer. Camping next to a wind mill farm outside of Mojave CA, Well they don't put wind mills where there's no wind. The only thing that bothers me is the slide out awnings flap in the wind. The Awnings flap so much in the high winds that I will bring the slide in at night to sleep.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:39 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My MH is a 39' gasser. I have a full wall slide and after 7 1/2 years and 57,000 miles I see no evidence of misalignment or sag

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:40 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jth camper View Post

I wish they made a all wheel drive DP.
Not a DP but might work for you needs!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-02-09 at 8.38.34 PM.png
Views:	63
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	85681  
Old 02-09-2015, 08:50 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
My 2007 with 67K miles has a 24' full wall slide roadside, and the paint design still matches up at the seams, which indicates no significant permanent deformation in its' 8 years of life. It is a BIG slide, and does cause me some concern in the long-term (larger/heavier could wear out mechanicals faster than smaller/lighter?), it has been reliable to date. No concern about it compromising our safety in a crash - that wall cannot collapse with the slide intact, and I believe the rest of the structure would collapse long before any stress level could occur that would rip it out of its stowed position. Pretty much resolved myself to chancing serious harm if this thing moves into any position other than shiny side up, and I don't think the slides will make much difference.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:52 PM   #22

I do like it the rig, but it looks a few feet short of 40 feet and it does not appear to have bunk beds...I don't want to give up my quality of life lol.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:53 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
... but it looks like fun!
Old 02-09-2015, 08:55 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've seen enough pictures of RV's after wrecks and school bus wrecks to know that an RV is going to pretty much explode in a wreck whereas a school bus, Prevost or bus based MH will stay together.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWag View Post
I'm not an engineer but technical enough to be nervous about the structural integrity of a full wall slide. I know, they have been in use for a several years now and there are not an abundance of complaints that I'm hearing about. Manufacturers stand behind them and claim there is ample structural strength in the design. Here's a shot of a 40' coach with a full wall slide floor plan. I'm not picking on Entegra, doesn't matter who the manufacturer is, they all look close to being the same, this is only an example.
As a matter of fact, Entegra recently announced that they will no longer make full slide units because it was too difficult and expensive to provide satisfactory strength in them. They made a total of five before they decided not to make any more. They had to re-work the five extensively before they were satisfied that they were strong enough.

They will now make four-slide units in which two of the slides are very close to each other and separated by a column of about a foot. When the two slides are open, the appearance inside is just like a full-wall slide, but the structure is far stronger. For an example, look online for Entegra's 44B and 45B floor plans.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:37 PM   #26

The RV Consumer Group writes extensively about RV safety. They write about all aspects of safety including slides. In several articles of theirs I read some motorhomes fall apart and offer little safety when in a significant accident.

As far as I know the only motorhome that has been roll tested is the Bluebird Wanderlodge without slides. It did very well in the roll over test.

In my opinion the key to safety in a motorhome is if the rig has a semimonocoque style chassis/ frame. This is where the chassis wraps around the floor and up the sides of the body. The house/body is an integrated part of the chassis. This type of chassis is in many high end motorhomes. RT 66 mentioned a few of them but forgot Country Coach, some Monacos, and some Beavers. There are likely other motorhomes that have semimonocoque chassis design that I have not included here, but these are the ones I know have them plus the ones mentioned by RT 66, Prevost, Foretravel, Bluebird, and Newell.

Most motorhomes use a twin rail chassis and then bolt their house on top of it. The house resistance to an accident depends on how it is made. Many are made of an aluminum frame. Some wood frames. The size and type of bolts used to attach the house to the chassis matters quite a bit. Some makers do not use large bolts. I have read in this forum of side walls opening so you can see daylight through the crack. That was on one of the largest makers of coaches today.

Our motorhome has a semimonocoque chassis made of welded steel tubes. They are big diameter tubes.

Of course when you punch holes in the side of motorhomes it is going to affect structural integrity negatively. We have a 14' slide in the front of our motorhome on the drivers side and I am not worried about it. But then our motorhome is built like a tank. Plus it has slides only on one side. For me only having slides on one side was a safety selling point.

Big slides are nice when you are in the motorhome though. Not so nice when you are trying to get into the basement storage.

I would guess that many motorhomes with lots of slides will collapse like a house of cards it in a big impact accident. So choose carefully. I liked the diagram in the brochure of the motorhome we have showing a heavy frame wrapping up around the sides.

Please keep in mind that this is just my opinion and I am not an expert on this stuff. But the RVCG is.

B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide