Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2015, 10:22 PM   #1

Structually Sound if MH has slides?

Does anyone have any info or websites that lists the strength of say a 38-40 foot MH that has a 14' or longer slide on one side and a couple small, 6-8', on the other side?

Just wondering as that leaves a big hole in the sidewall frame when the slide is out. With the slide in I know it is closed up but it still isn't attached, with screws, to the roof, floor, like the rest of the wall.

Didn't mean to get anybody nervous just wondering.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2015, 11:20 PM   #2

I think it would depend on the manufacture. I know on mine there is a lot of steel cross bracing in the sections that are fixed making up for the sheer lost in the slide openings. Good question as I hear a lot of guys having trouble with there slides if the rig is not level telling me there is more flex or something. On mine it doesn't seem to matter.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:46 PM   #3

I would think that most manufacturers have thought this out and they are structurally sound. They have been making them for years and I've never heard of one coming apart. I think when they have problems with the slides it is the actual slide that gets out of adjustment rather than the opening.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:43 AM   #4

Opinions......

You are delving into a sensitive topic for many RV'ers.

MotorHomes are not required to pass collision and impact testing like passenger vehicles.

The only similar size vehicles that must pass safety testing are commercial buses and big rig trucks.

As many have seen, commercial buses and trucks do tend to stay intact during rollovers and collisions.

If your concerned about safety and have the resources, these certified vehicles would be your best choice.

JohnnyB
Old 02-09-2015, 05:53 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Just about every motorhome except Bluebird, Foretravel, Prevost and Newell will fall apart in a serious accident like an old crab.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:18 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Just about every motorhome except Bluebird, Foretravel, Prevost and Newell will fall apart in a serious accident like an old crab.
Interesting, yet I can't remember reading about or seeing on the news any RV falling apart that's been in an accident. And RVs are involved in accidents on a regular basis. I have noticed that if they catch on fire they generally burn right down to the frame.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:21 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Take a string and get someone to hold one end next to the trim that separates the basement from the wall itself, and you hold the other end at the other end of the rv. Follow the trim from the rear to the front of the rv with your eye and check to see if the trim goes "up" until it meets the front slideout, and then goes back "down" towards the front of the rv.

You'll find that nearly every gasser buckles up in the middle, from very little when new to a lot as they are older. Very few diesels have the afliction. My gasser (38' tag axle V10) finally got so bad I gave it to my son to use as a apartment.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:33 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Just wonder where you got these statistics from?
Old 02-09-2015, 05:44 PM   #9

I would be concerned about units with a full wall slide more that one that has smaller slides. The full has a really big hole in it. Either way any mh involved in a rollover is going to be toast. I don't have slides in my current mh, and have been reading this and other forums regarding issues with slides and have about convinced myself to either keep my current unit for a few more years, get a newer version of what I have, or if I have to get slides, not a full wall slide. I like simple.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:50 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scep View Post
Take a string and get someone to hold one end next to the trim that separates the basement from the wall itself, and you hold the other end at the other end of the rv. Follow the trim from the rear to the front of the rv with your eye and check to see if the trim goes "up" until it meets the front slideout, and then goes back "down" towards the front of the rv.

You'll find that nearly every gasser buckles up in the middle, from very little when new to a lot as they are older. Very few diesels have the afliction. My gasser (38' tag axle V10) finally got so bad I gave it to my son to use as a apartment.
I always thought when they had to add a tag axle to a 38ft motorhome that they were using a chassis not designed for a rig that long. Many rigs 38ft with a w24 or with a w22 chassis have no need for a tag axle.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:53 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm not an engineer but technical enough to be nervous about the structural integrity of a full wall slide. I know, they have been in use for a several years now and there are not an abundance of complaints that I'm hearing about. Manufacturers stand behind them and claim there is ample structural strength in the design. Here's a shot of a 40' coach with a full wall slide floor plan. I'm not picking on Entegra, doesn't matter who the manufacturer is, they all look close to being the same, this is only an example.

When doing my research I initially thought I would purchase a FWS floor plan but after a few months started to rethink that position. Call me paranoid but I just felt more comfortable with a quad slide unit that had a bit more structural integrity mid coach.

I'm not saying don't buy a motorhome with a FWS, this was just my personal preference. OP has a good question and thought this would be an interesting photo, could help him understand what this design looks like during the build process.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Entegra FWS Opening.png
Views:	102
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	85672  
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:53 PM   #12

Our 38 footer has a full wall slide in the living/kitchen area and there is no sign of weakness anywhere. I think the no slide argument is made by those who don't have one. DPs with no slides are less desirable to many and therefore harder to sell if/when the time comes
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:02 PM   #13

in post 9 i talk of what type if slide to look out for and how you can hurt it

it was used to cut cost but in the long run cost alot of money to fix

WHY RV sway may be a good thing ! ?damage?

i all so have to add I'm not an engineer but technical enough
Old 02-09-2015, 07:10 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I believe most RV are engineered to an acceptable standard. Winnebago takes their coach and drops it to test the structures.

Now if you are expecting a coach with a full wall slide to stand the impact of a meteor I think you are overthinking it. If you expect it to save you from most falling trees.

If what hits you is big enough it will not matter whether you have a full wall or double slide there will be significant risk to the occupants.

Tags
slide