Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2014, 12:55 PM   #15

Keep in mind there is no driver or passenger air bag in a class A.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2014, 01:10 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Check these PHOTOS out of a stolen motorhome that was involved in a high speed pursuit and multiple crashes.

HERE is another article with more information on the pursuit.

Whataya think? You can decide whether they are structurally sound versus what was destroyed in this chase.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I spent the money to join RV.org. They were a good source of information, but as with any consumer oriented publication, they are overly cautious. If you take all their cautions and advice, you will buy a minivan with a tent, and do your traveling that way.
I used their advice for reliability and rating issues, but I love my class A and would not consider anything else.
The best defense against accident damage is to not have a accident. I roll down the road in the middle lane below the speed limit. I see RVs driving over the speed limit, and I wonder how will they stop? Every lane change is a opportunity for something bad to happen. The faster you go, the longer it takes to stop.
I think tire pressure, maintenance, driving habits, speed, and driving less everyday is far more important than the structural integrity of the class A.

You can't drive these like cars folks.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #18

Over many years I have seen numerous coaches, class A and C, in a variety of crashes from collisions with vehicles to driving off the roadway at speed. All held up fairly well and I cannot think of any serious injury as a result. I have experienced more fatalities from fire, where the unit burned and occupants died as a result of smoke when they did not wake up. Either the smoke detector did not work (probably disabled) or the unit went up so fast that they did not get out. As others have mentioned, drive speed limit, avoid unsafe driving patterns etc. The lugnut rule usually prevails. And have working smoke detectors.
dateem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
This one appeared to make the rounds on all of the RV boards... I'm surprised that no one linked it yet. As bad as it looks, the article ( Two Taken to Hospital in RV Rollover on I-81 SB - Your4State.com ) reports MINOR injuries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Overturned Phaeton-DS.jpg
Views:	1245
Size:	359.3 KB
ID:	65164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Overturned Phaeton-PS.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	65165  

DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:41 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Another driver error. Driving in the Northeast mid March.
I know, many do so, I just would not. Minor injuries is amazing though!
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:43 PM   #21

I was able to find out that the driver of the Panther it he picture I posted hit a railroad car. I don't know if the train was moving or not. Looking at most of the coach the structural integrity of the steel frame help up very well considering the damage to the front end.
Steve
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:44 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Another driver error. Driving in the Northeast mid March.
I know, many do so, I just would not. Minor injuries is amazing though!
The story I linked was the only one I could find still posted. Driver error, yes, but it wasn't due to season... he reportedly fell asleep at the wheel. We're all only a single decision from the "wrong one".
Old 06-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
I was on I 10 going 62 mph when I was hit By a car passing me that lost control. Hit right below drivers seat just missing front tire. He did a 180 and hit median. Was able to keep control although I was going on the shoulder and heading done into the ditch. Minor damage to front end. Limped into campground that night. $8,000 damage to Tiffin Allegro 34. Believe me it was an experience I never want again.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:04 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
The folks at RVCG provide excellent analysis and evaluation on chassis engineering, shell construction, fit and finish, suitability for particular RV uses. It is all based on manufacturer supplied data, interviews with owners, coach tours, and factory tours (when allowed). The fact that some manufacturers won't allow known RVCG people into their plant tells me they're on the right track.

All that having been said, the man that runs the show there appears to have a truly large ax to grind with the RV industry, mostly because there are no mandatory gov't standards as there are with cars. He wants to see steel NASCAR style crash cages in all RVs, regardless of economics.

But..... This obsession of his in no way renders his analysis and evaluations wrong. RVCG is still the best source for deciding size, chassis, quality level, etc.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
Height and weight do count for a lot. I have pics of a Tiffin apx 2005 dp model that suffered a head-on from an suv at 65 mph. The suv was unrecognizeable, and all occupants died. Damage to the mh was considerable and it was totaled, but it did amazingly well. The steering column was rotated outward as the front axle was sucked under. Driver and passenger had "minor inhuries."
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:58 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
The best defense against accident damage is to not have a accident. I roll down the road in the middle lane below the speed limit. I see RVs driving over the speed limit, and I wonder how will they stop? Every lane change is a opportunity for something bad to happen. The faster you go, the longer it takes to stop.
I think tire pressure, maintenance, driving habits, speed, and driving less everyday is far more important than the structural integrity of the class A.

You can't drive these like cars folks.
Exactly, except for me, I drive at the flow of traffic minus a couple mph and pretty much stick to the right lane. Merging traffic can go one of two ways to handle good drivers and merge challenged, where I put a mph or two on the fire or ease up a bit to make it work for both vehicles.

Don't tailgate, don't change lanes just as the vehicle passes me in the lane I want. At a minimum, a couple hundred feet behind the next vehicle.

It takes a lot of road to quickly slow down a 26,000 lb coach...

Been there and done that...
Old 06-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Not directly related to structural integrity, buy this YouTube video proves that a low train trestle will win every time! No Class As, but a few fifth wheelers lost AC units.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:41 AM   #28

Country Coach Owners Club
<20 mph damage

If you crawl around under the front end of a Class A without the up front genset you will find very little to absorb energy until you come to the frame rails. Most rv's I looked at have a fiberglass cap and some 1" or 1.5" tubular steel built out to hold the structure in front of the wheels. If I take a serious front end hit the crumple zone will crumple back to about the front seat.
Even with the genset if you take a hit on either front corner the crumple zone will end about the front seat.
Right after we first got our coach the DW had me turn into a campground that she said had lots of room. Well it didn't. With her careful directing I managed to turn through what she thought was a bush that turned out to be a stump and ended up with the coach spending a week in the body and fender shop and a $7k bill. The bottom line is that it will cost a lot to fix a crunched coach. All you can do to ward off the likelihood of and accident is to slow down, avoid driving in nasty weather, have good tires and leave lots of space infront of you.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a