Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #1

Stuck Automotion Shade

Does anybody know how to manually retract a motorized Automotion Shade? Both the driver and passenger side is stuck in the down position. Makes it kind of hard to drive.

This is a 2013 Fleetwood Discovery 36J. Contacted Fleetwood tech support and did all the checks they suggested. Nothing worked. No mobile RV service and nearest dealer 90 miles away. Anybody have any suggestions other than pulling the shades down and cutting the wires?
cjhodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #2

U should be able to unhook the shade and wind it up by hand without cutting wiring. Also usually u would be able to disconnect the wiring if needed and remove the shade entirely.
Ljgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #3

Mine is stuck also, but fortunately not down very far. It is one of those items that works when you don't need it or, in my case, wanting to show it to a repain man, then does not work when I need it headed east in the mornings. Suspect a possible ground somewhere, however I am not handy enough with VM to be trying to fix, I would probably mess something else up.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
AutoMotion shades have an issue with their motors - they don't build any "headspace" into the specs. We have their one-piece shade on our RV and the motor is designed to lift 6 lbs of weight - the shade weighs close to that. Also, AutoMotion won't sell a replacement motor - they want you to buy a complete shade.

I spent time last year working on this issue and found a motor that is the same physical size as the AutoMotion one, with twice the lifting power. I wrote up a PDF file detailing how I got my shade working again with this new motor at a cost of just under $100 vs. the $800 that AutoMotion wanted for a replacement shade. If you do a search for AutoMotion shades here you should be able to find my file. If not, let me know and I can send you a copy.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #5

I perhaps was not following OP correctly, my stuck shade is actually the mess sun shade that works somewhat like a sun viser......stuck nevertheless. Maybe same trouble issue of OP. B
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhodson View Post
Does anybody know how to manually retract a motorized Automotion Shade? Both the driver and passenger side is stuck in the down position. Makes it kind of hard to drive.

This is a 2013 Fleetwood Discovery 36J. Contacted Fleetwood tech support and did all the checks they suggested. Nothing worked. No mobile RV service and nearest dealer 90 miles away. Anybody have any suggestions other than pulling the shades down and cutting the wires?

I had one do that to me the other day.....contacted Automotion and they sent me a PDF file on how to reset the limit switches on the shades......yours is a newer model so there should be two small knobs for this procedure.......mine is an older model so I have reset buttons not knobs .......if you need any more advice, get back to me
Kingixolib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:33 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Take a look at this site may have your info on setting limits.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the automotion shades in our new 2014 Phaeton, my wife would like to have the little black pull tabs to put onto the manual shades for ease of getting them out of the open position. I have contacted automotion in Canada and they tell me they don't sell to Tiffin anymore as of this past summer and can't get me the pull tabs. Does anyone have these pull tabs that they don't want or would sell? I need 14 of them.
Thanks
Old 08-14-2015, 11:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
AutoMotion shades have an issue with their motors - they don't build any "headspace" into the specs. We have their one-piece shade on our RV and the motor is designed to lift 6 lbs of weight - the shade weighs close to that. Also, AutoMotion won't sell a replacement motor - they want you to buy a complete shade.

I spent time last year working on this issue and found a motor that is the same physical size as the AutoMotion one, with twice the lifting power. I wrote up a PDF file detailing how I got my shade working again with this new motor at a cost of just under $100 vs. the $800 that AutoMotion wanted for a replacement shade. If you do a search for AutoMotion shades here you should be able to find my file. If not, let me know and I can send you a copy.
I am having automotion shade motor problems
Burnt out motor have been looking every were, sounds like you have a fix
We have same coach 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E autoshade replacement $ 1200.00 cad.?
Owen Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:37 PM   #10
HHg

2013 Phaeton 40QBH......same issue. Had to replace the motor. I was able buy the motor from Tiffin.....cost about $95.00. The hardest part was getting to the wiring. There were a couple of really good threads about how to do this several months back. Might try a search ?

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote