Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #15

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Tis happened to mine and after dropping the tank it was the internal sending unit, had to have it done at a shop because I filled the tank. No way I could have dropped it with my jack when full. Local shop had a special tank jack, in and out under 3 hours

Ron & Wendy 94 Pace Arrow 454

4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2011, 07:35 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
The first place to check is at the tank. You just have to find a way to get access. There may be a connector near the tank, or along the chassis where you can break the circuit for a test..

A fuel gauge is NOT a voltmeter, and there is nothing in it to return it to zero when power is removed.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
There should be 2 wires that run from the top of the tank to the inside of the passenger side frame rail (assuming you do not have a tank mounted electric fuel pump). There they will might enter a plastic split tubing and run forward or follow close to the fuel lines. (The rear lighting usually runs along the drivers side frame). If you can locate those wires close to the top of the tank you can troubleshoot with a test light. Since you'll probably not be able to determine which wire is ground and which is hot you'll need 12vdc+ on one side of the test light and touch the other to a known ground (lamp will light), then each wire from the tank. The ground side of the tank will light the test light. Then ground your test light and probe the other wire with ignition on. A dim light will indicate power from the guage. You will also notice with the test light in the circuit the guage will register a different value as the test light completes the circuit.

I have never heard of a 'stuck float'. Most common problems are an open resistor (potentiometer) in the tank unit which gives a 'F' or a saturated/leaking float which gives an 'E'. good luck
Old 03-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post

A fuel gauge is NOT a voltmeter, and there is nothing in it to return it to zero when power is removed.
Your right.. miss-typed I guess... Its more of an Amp Meter... in either case 'FULL' is suppose to be 'close to zero resistance', and 'Empty' 'close to infinite'.

I mean, jeez, a simple search will tell you whats what:
Quote:
The sensing unit usually uses a float connected to a potentiometer. As the tank empties, the float drops and slides a moving contact along the resistor, increasing its resistance. In addition, when the resistance is at a certain point, it will also turn on a "low fuel" light on some vehicles.
Meanwhile, the indicator unit (usually mounted on the dashboard) is measuring and displaying the amount of electrical current flowing through the sending unit. When the tank level is high and maximum current is flowing, the needle points to "F" indicating a full tank. When the tank is empty and the least current is flowing, the needle points to "E" indicating an empty tank.

The system is fail-safe; a fault that opens the electrical circuit causes the indicator to show the tank as being empty (which will provoke the driver to refill the tank (in theory)) rather than full (which would allow the driver to run out of fuel with no prior notification). However this system has a potential risk associated with it. An electric current is sent through the variable resistor to which a float is connected, so that the value of resistance depends on the fuel level. In most of automotive fuel gauges such resistors are on the inward side of gauge i.e inside fuel tank.
Fuel gauge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

now, I CAN see someone (GM) trying to do it backwards from the rest of us, and thats ok to point out, but if all fuel gauges worked the way you say, come here and explain to me why mine show Empty with key off, wire pulled, etc....
Old 03-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks midniteoyl. I wasnt trying to beat it to death, i was just trying to make the job easier. from one vet to another. Army 2nd 87th 1963 to 1965. God bless America. God bless the Vets.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Thanks midniteoyl. I wasnt trying to beat it to death, i was just trying to make the job easier. from one vet to another. Army 2nd 87th 1963 to 1965. God bless America. God bless the Vets.
on Vets..

That last post wasnt for you, btw.