Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Stuck Gen float

Has anyone had this problem?
Wibbley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

As in a carburetor float? What year/make/model of generator is it?

Carburetor problems are common in RV generators that are not exercised regularly. They get gummed up and generally need a bench rebuild to clear them up. But if its just a stuck float, some carb cleaner might do it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The float on our Emerald 5K stuck closed. I took it off, put it on it's side with inlet up and started putting carb cleaner in the inlet for a couple of days. Then I shot a short burst of air through it to dislodge the needle from the seat. Put it back on, started and ran OK for a bit, then started to stumble. So I used the old tried a true tap on the fuel bowl. Did this a couple of times, runs great now. They do need to be exercised on a regular basis.
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Yes it is a carb float for an onan generator on a 2005 FW hurricane. Will try some carb cleaner tonight & hopefully that will do the trick. It has been sitting awhile according to the previous owner. Thanks
Wibbley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I suspect it is more than a stuck float. Most likely the needle valve is also clogged, as new2rvn mentioned. A thorough soak and clean may revive it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #6

I put a new carb on my Emerald III this summer and it only worked for about three days, started flooding out. I pulled the bowl off the bottom of the carb only to find that the float was too tight, wouldnt rise with the fuel and shutoff. I took a file and shaved the sides just enough to make it flop up and down easily.
180 bucks is a lot of money to spend on something that cant even be assembled properly.
vegas39 is offline   Reply With Quote