Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Stuck in a rest area..

Hooked up the boat and left the coast yesterday for home and after 400+ miles of driving the engine started missing. It felt just like a gas engine with fouled spark plugs. I drove it another 25 miles on the interstate with the engine light going off and on and pulled into a rest area where the engine just died. Called Good Sams and they located a Cat repair center and a heavy duty tow truck company in Spokane and they came out and got us. The DW was following me in the Jeep so we were able to hook the boat up to the Jeep and follow the tow truck in. My hats off to Good Sams for their superior road side assistance. They kept in touch with us throughout the ordeal and made sure the coach was towed to a reputable Cat and Freightliner facility. Our stress level was high but Good Sams kept it from bubbling over the top. Haven't heard yet what our problem is. It felt like water in the fuel. I drained the water separator at the rest area and got 3-4 oz out, but it still wouldn't start. There's several areas in the fuel system that it could be. They are doing an engine analysis today which should tell us where the problem is.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #2

Hopefully , it's just a bad fuel issue and nothing in the HUEI system.
Hope your mobile soon.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm glad you're on the recovery to road. Let us know what the problem is.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
Hooked up the boat and left the coast yesterday for home and after 400+ miles of driving the engine started missing. It felt just like a gas engine with fouled spark plugs. I drove it another 25 miles on the interstate with the engine light going off and on and pulled into a rest area where the engine just died. Called Good Sams and they located a Cat repair center and a heavy duty tow truck company in Spokane and they came out and got us. The DW was following me in the Jeep so we were able to hook the boat up to the Jeep and follow the tow truck in. My hats off to Good Sams for their superior road side assistance. They kept in touch with us throughout the ordeal and made sure the coach was towed to a reputable Cat and Freightliner facility. Our stress level was high but Good Sams kept it from bubbling over the top. Haven't heard yet what our problem is. It felt like water in the fuel. I drained the water separator at the rest area and got 3-4 oz out, but it still wouldn't start. There's several areas in the fuel system that it could be. They are doing an engine analysis today which should tell us where the problem is.
Sounds similar to my cat problem a few months back,turned out to be ground wire comeing off battery to heui was broke internally.Hope your that lucky, only cost me $185.00 for them to find it.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #5

Same thing happened to me on the way to Junction City from the coast Monday. Thought is was fuel filter changed both of them but it started to smoke real bad call Good Sam there in 30min. The air filter indicator was in the yellow all the way pulled the cover and both of us got a bath (full of water). He called Cat no filter in stock then he called Napa they had one. He had another drive go to Napa and pick it up installed all good. I had all the water off the I-5 go down the air intake, dumb place to install an intake 5' off the road on the drivers side. All I can say Good Sam is the best along with B C Towing out of Salem, Or.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I would bet that if they change out both the primary and secondary fuel filters that will correct the problem.

However, if any water got into other places downstream then they may have to go further.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:33 AM   #7

Sounds like Deja Vu to me... last year I was with a friend headed from Ohio to Arizona in his 05 Discovery 330 C7. Same exact thing... missing, hesitation, etc. Fortunately it happened very near a rest area in Big Cabin, Oklahoma.... once shut off it would restart after cranking awhile but it was very very angry sounding. Nursed it to a CAT dealer only 2 miles away and found out an injector dropped a tip into the cylinder - that ended up wedging the piston into the head, bent the connecting rod, wedged the piston in the bore and broke the wrist pin, cracked the block. Since the 3126 and C7 have no cylinder sleeves, repairing it was not an option..... we left that C7 in Oklahoma - $20,000.00 later - new C7.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #8

The chances are high that in this case, it's being able to change out the fuel filters, and check the air filters and air related piping, maybe having to prime the system, while doing all that, check the oil level.

I'd say, in the majority of times, being able to do these things, and having the spare filters with you, will get you on the road fast, and relatively cheap.

ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
UPDATE: We have the coach home and it's sitting in the shop all safe and sound. The computer analysis showed that the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor quit working properly. This sensor, on a Cat engine, regulates the pressure of the fuel from the injector pump to the injectors. When it goes haywire it's like an alternator on a gas engine that sends the wrong electric impulses to the wrong spark plugs. Thus, causing the engine to run erratically. I don't know if Cummin's engines have this sensor or not? The tech said it's rare for them to go out, but of course I'm one of those if it can happen to me.....it does. However, I escaped with a $557.00 service bill which even according to the service manager is rare to get out of there for under $1000.00. I should mention this service center, Freedom Truck Center. It's a huge service center right off I-90 on the west side of Spokane. They have about 20 bays and each bay hold three trucks and they are all full. 26 diesel mechanics, open 7 days a week and they run their mechanics on 2 shifts, closing at 11 pm and it's spit shine clean. I definitely found a place to have any work done if I ever need it. As far as Good Sams goes, I'll be a customer for a very long time.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #10

We love , happy endings , and information on shops that do good work; particularly on routes that I use.

After 14 years of Dodge Cummins work before I retired, and now owning a Cat powered coach , I can tell you first hand , the fuel systems are as different as " Chalk and Cheese " they start out the same then go their separate ways.

BTW; Murphy knows where I live too.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:50 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Glad to hear you are up and running and it was relatively painless.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good news! Thanks for posting and letting us know the solution. This type of forum information is valuable to all members!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:55 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
UPDATE: We have the coach home and it's sitting in the shop all safe and sound.........
Glad to hear it all worked out. Just out of curiosity--- I know Good Sam paid the service call and tow, but was there any service contract to cover the repair?
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:57 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Sounds like Deja Vu to me... last year I was with a friend headed from Ohio to Arizona in his 05 Discovery 330 C7...... we left that C7 in Oklahoma - $20,000.00 later - new C7.
Just curious.... did your friend have any service contract to pay for that nice new C7?
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote