Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2015, 12:10 PM   #29

The "PROFESSIONALS" we all talk about are just guys, like us, who get paid to do it.

It`s like " Hey johnny, grab the wrecker and see if you can drag him out, ok uncle bob"

Remember, trust but verify.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2015, 12:43 PM   #30

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
That extension cord won't slow it down one bit. Well, mine doesn't anyway

slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:49 PM   #31

What about a cable tied to that tree then run it through a snatch block attached to the hitch receiver and the other end to the tractor that you mentioned earlier. That way you get double the pulling force. Pull it out the way it went in and up onto some plywood.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:23 PM   #32

Thats not stuck ! Thats buried.. Lots of drag to pull that sucker out. I'd call a pro. At least then if they screw it up it's their baby!
Old 02-05-2015, 06:08 PM   #33

Been there, done that. Solution was 24" patio stones under each jack pad and then start lowering the jacks. Depending upon how soggy the ground is, the pad may be driven into the mud. If so raise the jacks and add blocks of 2"X 10" or 2"X 12" and lower again. Repeat until jacks are firm and then raise the wheels. Use caution as it can become unstable when the jacks are fully extended.

I found that with the jacks extended the wheels could be elevated with either a plank for leverage or using a bottle jack and small piece of 4"x 4" lifting on the top of the rim, one side at a time.

Gravel and 2"X 12" X 12' under the wheels and slowly walk it forward.

Dave
Old 02-05-2015, 06:41 PM   #34

Looks to me like using your jacks and lots of gravel be the ticket. May have to do some digging with a shovel to get gravel or rock under the jacks.

Russell
Old 02-05-2015, 07:33 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If there is a local Heavy Equipment recovery operator, they should have lifting bags, such as a MatJack that can be used to lift the coach from the mud high enough to get mud mats under the wheels and then the coach can get driven out.

Mike
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:33 PM   #36

That is exactly how ours looked when I buried the front axle. Our has independent front suspension.
First tried to dig it out. Just sunk in farther. Water would fill in around the area we were digging out. Tried to get at the jacks to put 2x12x24 inch and all they did was sink farther down into the mud. Never could get enough under it to be able to get the jacks high enough to get it out of the holes and fill them in. Friend tried his dually diesel to try and pull it out. No luck there either. I finally called Good Sam ERS to get pulled out. They were able to get behind me and winch me out hooking to the tow bar receiver. Took one that they use for towing 18 wheelers.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:20 PM   #37
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
That is exactly how ours looked when I buried the front axle. Our has independent front suspension.
First tried to dig it out. Just sunk in farther. Water would fill in around the area we were digging out. Tried to get at the jacks to put 2x12x24 inch and all they did was sink farther down into the mud. Never could get enough under it to be able to get the jacks high enough to get it out of the holes and fill them in. Friend tried his dually diesel to try and pull it out. No luck there either. I finally called Good Sam ERS to get pulled out. They were able to get behind me and winch me out hooking to the tow bar receiver. Took one that they use for towing 18 wheelers.
I don't doubt it. The OP vehicle is over 22k pounds empty. After seeing the pics, he really needs professional assistance. I wish you luck John.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:50 PM   #38

i would not try the use levelers to raise the coach put boards under front wheels

you can kill your windshield that way
Old 02-05-2015, 09:17 PM   #39

I hope this helps. I work for a large truck manufacturing company. Spent most of today moving class 8 trucks around on soft grass that we couldn't damage for a show. If you want to try it yourself get 8 sheets of 1 1/8" floor decking. You may be able to do it with 4 if you can span the rear duals but 8 will be easier. 1 1/8" floor decking is key to get the weight spread out enough to safely drive the rig. As soon as you get the plywood slide the plywood under the jacks 1 sheet per jack. If you have a jack(s) buried then that is a bigger problem. Use the leveler system to carefully raise the coach. Don't raise the coach unevenly as you can crack your front windshield. Now comes the tricky part. It is likely that you won't get enough lift to get the wheel out of the mud so you can easily put a board under it. Don't worry. The rest you can use a 12 or 20 ton bottle jack. Use the bottle jack to compress the suspension on ONE front wheel at a time. If you can get the board under the wheel great! Repeat for the rear wheels being very carful to not remain under the coach very much. If you can get an extendible air over hydraulic bottle jack that you don't need to get under the coach that is safer. After you get all the wheels onto 1 1/8" plywood floor decking move each sheet in front of the other one to be able to drive out. If you want to be able to park there in the future you will want to get large 1" - 3" crushed rock over the ground. Its what they use around my area to start constructing building sites. Those rocks are so large that they provide better surface area for the large dump semis to get into the site without sinking. You can finish off by 5/8" minus that will compact down very well. You will need to frequently re-grade the surface i.e. every season and add more 5/8" minus. Many tow truck operators don't really understand motorhomes. I have seen my share of videos where the tow truck operator treated the motorhome like a truck and tore off the body panels. That is very expensive to repair and is almost always at the owners expense. Tow companies don't take liability for winch outs where the unit is stuck in mud.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:56 PM   #40
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you really must pull from the front with a chain and tractor show this picture to the person in the drivers seat
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:22 PM   #41

Forest River Owners Club
What's gonna keep your levelers from burying in the soft ground????
Old 02-05-2015, 11:27 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Stuck in the mud

I'm really having a hard time trying to understand why you don't just call a professional big rig towing service to pull your six figure investment out before you break something.

What am I missing here? You do have towing insurance, correct?

If they break something it's on them, you break and its on you.

And don't park there again, pour some concrete for crying out loud!

Cheers!