Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-06-2015, 03:11 AM   #43
Ahhh, photo's...much better. You got it sunk good...what is in front of the MH? I don't think pulling it backwards will get you out of the rough.

There is nothing quite like that "sinking feeling when you know you are sinking" is there?.....been there done that!

1996 Fleetwood Flair 22' (aka Stumpy) Chevy 454
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2015, 06:27 AM   #44
I'd rather trust a friend on a tractor to be careful pulling it out than a stranger with a wrecker. I doubt any wrecker service will accept any liability for damage, so your pretty much at the mercy of the driver just like any other service some care some don't.

Be careful if you do use your levelers to raise it make sure no one gets under it accidents happen to fast.

Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:25 AM   #45
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All the ideas above are good, The best tow or un-sticking is not practical but it involves not one but TWO chains,, One connected to the dug in axle at the right hand end (where the springs and shocks attach) and the other at the other end of the same axle.. These should be as long as possible then if needed a 3rd chain to the tow vehicle.

However this is not often practical.

Unlike the above who said "Engine runnig in neutral"

I will say Engine running and transmission in the direction of travel, Full idle or very very light throttle (Do not spin tires)

Have done it once, we hooked to axle and had no problem. Only problem was the tow truck they sent was 2 sizes too small so I had to re-write the manual on how to winch out.. Thankfully I majored in Science, And I've worked with a few different tow trucks so I know about how to make them work harder than they are designed.. Worked too.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:49 AM   #46
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Did you get it out? If so, how? Good luck!
Johnny Rotten
2009 American Eagle 42'
Trailering HD Road Glide and Saab 9.3 or Cadillac Escalade ESV
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #47
This is not a serious problem to get unstuck.

Lift the front end and get some cribbage under the tire. It's too deep in the hole. Then, drive it out on plywood or boards.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:01 AM   #48
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by MJFZ View Post
If there is a local Heavy Equipment recovery operator, they should have lifting bags, such as a MatJack that can be used to lift the coach from the mud high enough to get mud mats under the wheels and then the coach can get driven out.
Good Heavy Truck recovery folks do have air bags. They do the job without damage. 3/4" plywood does a great job once your unstuck.
2003 Monaco Camelot (New to us Dec 2014)
BennieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:44 PM   #49
I stuck mine dutch star in my front yard also. I had to have my neighbor use his very large tractor to pull me out. We hooked it to the hitch on the rear of the RV and it worked fine.
Johnkmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:15 PM   #50
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
I'm really having a hard time trying to understand why you don't just call a professional big rig towing service to pull your six figure investment out before you break something.

What am I missing here? You do have towing insurance, correct?

If they break something it's on them, you break and its on you.

And don't park there again, pour some concrete for crying out loud!

No tow company will accept liability for this situation. Most professional tow truck drivers will do their best but any damage is on you.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:13 PM   #51
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by GA Navigator View Post
What about a cable tied to that tree then run it through a snatch block attached to the hitch receiver and the other end to the tractor that you mentioned earlier. That way you get double the pulling force. Pull it out the way it went in and up onto some plywood.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
That pretty well states step #1, then either drive forward to the left or right as space permit keeping momentum going and don't stop or if you really want to get carried away fill in the holes and ruts with gravel. You can make the job as simple or as hard as you wish.

Yes I do speak from a little experience, some of us know what we are doing and take pride in getting it done usually with no other damage

John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:50 AM   #52
I had a problem similar to yours'. I pulled off the gravel driveway into my backyard to turn around. It had been raining hard for several days while I was away. All 6 tires bogged down to the rims. The more I tried to drive out the worse it became. By this time I had pushed up a large mud dam in front and back of all tires. I let the mh set for 3 days to let the ground dry out then I used my trusted shovel to smooth out the now dry mud dams'. I dug a slight dirt ramp in the direction I wanted to drive out. (backwards) Worked like a charm. Backed right on out with no problems. This was in the summer time. You could ,like you said , let the ground freeze then dig your angled trench in the direction you want to drive out. Once you are on solid ground you are home free. But if you are in a hurry to go on a trip you probably don't have time to waste. If the ground is not frozen you could still dig the trenches and possibly drive out of the holes. Total time for my dig out was about 1 1/2 hour. Good luck and like others have indicated don't damage your frame or steering.
bumpus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:12 PM   #53
Great pics. I specially liked the crawler in the mud hole. Been there, done that. Even better when in the mud hole at the bottom of a gully.
Randy, Karen and a couple of mangy cats
93 Hawkins 36DP, 03 Explorer
Borderbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:34 PM   #54
If me I would use the plywood or board under wheels to drive it out, before doing damage. Have seen the tandums pulled out from under large trucks, being pulled out of mud.
H.B. & Deb. Molly(spoiled Shih Tzu) , 06 Pace Arrow ,36D full slide , electric jacks , 04 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox Aventa II , 97 Harley Heritage.
Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:46 PM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
By the looks of your photo's, it should of been towed/winched out in this picture

Before you kept trying to get out and spinning and burying it to the axle and frame...........

From what I see in the photo, using plywood, The Coach's jacks, are out........it is on the frame with now way under it to try to do anything...........need towed/winched out professionally if it were mine.
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:19 AM   #56
Any success? In the photos I am pretty sure you are sitting on the chassis in the rear. No one is going to be able to reach anything under there to attach anything to an axle to pull with. You need to be cautious that you are not placing loads on the body which will flex things and start damaging paint/clearcoat/etc. If it were mine, I would clear the dirt from the rear with a shovel/s, place 2x12s directly behind the rear tires and extract it using the hitch pulling it back out the way it went in.

1997 36' Country Coach Intrigue
2012 VW Golf TDI 6M + Kar Kaddy SS
2009 Chevy Z71 Tahoe Four Down
Motorhead-54 is offline   Reply With Quote