Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2017, 02:29 PM   #1

Stuck in Yosemite National Park (electrical issue)

Actually, we are not really struck in Yosemite, because we are seasonal volunteers in Yosemite Valley with full hookups for our 2006 Newmar Dutch Star motor home. It's a tough job😁 but somebody has to do it.

We are due to leave the Park in about 3 weeks!

I do have an electrical issue though! I will start with a few questions in an attempt to keep it brief. When you are hooked up to full power for about 5 months, and then discover that you can't adjust your electrical captain's chair because it moves a little and the runs out of juice, does that mean that maybe your inverter has died? And as a result, the coach batteries won't even light up the dash when you turn the key?

We have been volunteering here for the last 4 years with full power, and this is the first time this has happened. I am not knowledgeable enough about electrical issues to know the answer without my irv2 friends helping me!
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2017, 02:41 PM   #2

Your captains chair should be the Chassis/Eng Battery.
gerdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:49 PM   #3

Checked water levels in batteries?
Voltage reading from battery?
Does it do the same while not plugged in...
Possibly bad starter batteries... Just chooting some ideas....
Adamsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:50 PM   #4

Could even unplug batteries from motorhome and test ind. Be sure to turn everything off first... Everything...
Old 08-15-2017, 02:51 PM   #5

Yes, that's what I guessed. So is it the inverter's job to take shore power and charge the coach and house batteries? By the way, all of my batteries were just changed out about two years ago, and were charging fine, until I discovered this problem.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:55 PM   #6

I would guess it is ran off the 12 v system... But will wait for others to chime in on that...
Old 08-15-2017, 02:55 PM   #7

efstewart-

I'll give you the summary: Either the chassis batteries are defective, or the "system" that charges the chassis batteries when the engine is off is not working. There's a bunch of components between the charger (or inverter/charger) and the chassis batteries that comprise the "system."

Other folks will be along with details.

Here's a link to a Google search of iRV2 posts on the topic.

<edit>I'm guessing the engine won't start unless you use the AUX BOOST switch on the dash to tie the house and chassis batteries together, and maybe not even then. ["AUX BOOST" switch could go by a different name in a DSDP; see owner's manual]</edit>
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:56 PM   #8

I forgot to mention that my battery access door is on the right rear of the coach, and is nestled up against a large tree about 18 inches away. I can only open the door about 6 inches or so. I was thinking that if the inverter is bad, I could change that first and hope I charge the batteries enough to start and move the motor home. How do I check to see if the inverter is bad? And is that how the batteries are charged, through the inverter?
Old 08-15-2017, 03:00 PM   #9

I've been stuck in way worst places than Yosemite. Well first off your coach batteries are stone dead. Check your inverter as it will have breakers on it that could be tripped. Do you have a volt meter ? Even a cheap one from Harbor Freight will work. Unplug from shore power and check the voltage on your house batteries. They should show 12.6 or 7
volts. If they are okay and nothing was tripped on the inverter it should be okay.
While still disconnected from shore power turn off your master battery switch for the coach. Disconnect the cables from your coach batteries. Make sure the hot + cable doesn't touch the battery box or coach. Plug back into shore power & turn on your master switch. Check the voltage coming out of those cables. If 15v or above your inverter is fine. You'll have one or both batteries bad. How do I know because it just happen to me with my MH. Batteries were Aug. 2015. I didn't waste time trying to charge them. Went to work & bought two new ones. Nice thing is I get them at our coast.

Oh and I did try the battery boost on mine. My coach batteries were at 7.6 v so battery boast didn't help.
That tree is going to be a problem for you.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:04 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
More than likely your 06 DSDP has an inverter charger and a BIRD. If you have a multi-meter, check the voltage in your house batteries. If they are getting 13.2 V +, then you inverter / charger is working and it's probably your isolation relay not closing and charging both sets. You can bypass the relay by running jumper cables from your house batteries to your chassis batteries and see if they charge. They may or may not hold a charge after going completely dead for an extended period of time.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:08 PM   #11

You are using the term 'Inverter', but I think you are referring to your CHARGER. A typical charger, which may/may not be combined with your Inverter and Converter, normally takes care of charging your RV batteries, and sometimes also your ENGINE batteries, but more as a trickle charge.

If your chair, and your dash gauges, which may work off your ENGINE battery(s), do not function properly, then those batteries are suspect, not your Inverter/Converter/Charger unit(s).
While your ENGINE batteries sit during your extended stay, there should be no usage or draw from them, UNLESS, you are using items that may be powered by them, such as the radio, side/rear camera, 12v plugs, chair movements, and possibly some 12 lights for the chassis itself.

Could your CHARGER be at fault? maybe, but if your RV batteries are good, then probably not.
Could it be a faulty connection device between the charger and the engine batteries? possibly.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:10 PM   #12

Ok, I will try what you guys sugggested and get back to you.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:24 PM   #13

I strongly suspect you have a dry battery somewhere. Probably the chassis battery(s).
Old 08-15-2017, 03:31 PM   #14

I have a xantrex LED monitor above my cockpit that shows that my batteries are at 99 percent full. But they are acting like they are nearly dead. When I press the adjustment on my captains chair it works real slowly for a micro second and then is silent. Same thing with my HWh automatic jacks. When I turn the ignition key, the HWH panel lights up for a second, then dead! I have checked the fuses they are good.

Tags
electric, electrical, national