Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Stuck leveler jack

Yesterday while getting ready to leave St. Augustine FL state park I retracted jacks , coach dropped hard suddenly retracting only 3 jacks, drivers side front stuck and as a result bent piston of jack. I'm assuming that coach shifted backwards ( was on a little bit of a slope to rear ) and bent piston that was extended about 13 inches. First tried to release pressure but didn't help, had to completely remove jack. This is a power gear hydraulic system, anyone ever had such an issue. Hydraulic shop said it may be cheaper to replace than repair. Have capped line and using just rear jacks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2014, 09:39 PM   #2

If you decide to get a used jack, Colaw has some advertised on ebay. A new one will be $$$. Search for power gear jack. Hopefully you'll get other posts with some sources also.

Fred

Old 11-09-2014, 06:44 AM   #3

I don't have any input but this is something I always wondered whether it was possible to bend/damage the jacks, especially on a slope. Good luck with your repair.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:25 AM   #4

This is why I start the coach and let the airbags fill before I retract the jacks. That way any pressure on them has been relieved.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:52 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Will bags fill with jacks down, my system auto deflates when levelers are deployed, I guess I'm not sure how system works in regard to that.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
This is why I start the coach and let the airbags fill before I retract the jacks. That way any pressure on them has been relieved.
I tried your method once, the jacks on the ground made horrible noises getting skidded across the ground as the rear of my Coach airs up first before the front air bags, as this happens, the Coach tends to roll forward as the rear axle airs up exerting a lot of forward pressure on the front jacks.......skidding them with the weight of the front of the Coach across what ever surface you are parked on.
Now I just bump the side to side down buttons, very quick and easy, not to much at a time till the Coach is off the jacks and they are relieved of the Coach's weight, then I start the engine, and hit the store button, then while it is airing up and the jacks are storing, I go out for my walk a round..........This method, of all that I have tried, works the best for me.
Watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=2j2AsW5oHAA and you will see how the Coach rolls forward when airing up and down. Just my front tire's roll, as the rear airs up. I am not sure how the drive and tag axle's are moving in the video as the spring brakes are set on the drive axle.........? Maybe in the video, when he chocked the front tire's, he released the brakes?
Old 11-09-2014, 08:11 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I was involved in the mining industry for many years and hydraulic equipment is prevalent along with the required repair. I good hydraulic shop can repair cylinders economically, we would only buy a new cylinder as a last resort ~20% of the time.

If only the stem of jack is bent I would think it could be economically repaired. Normally they would have chromed stem material of proper diameter, they would cut the salvage the piston and fabricate the eye or end.

If the piston, cap, or cylinder are damaged then I would doubt it is economic.

You may contact power gear to see if they just sell the stem as a reference price. If not a used jack is your best option,
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've been reading up on repairing, found several articles that say piston can be straightened, may consider if cylinder isn't damage, waiting to talk with extended warranty company on Monday to see if it's covered. Found replacement on eBay $ 500. I think it can be repaired for less, we'll see. Why it occurred is more of a concern, don't like making the same mistake twice. I think I'll block wheels next time I level on uneven surface.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #9

When our motorhome was new and I retracted the jacks, the motorhome started skidding forward on the front jacks. Scared the heck out of me. I block the front and rear tires all the time now. This seems to have helped with the motorhome skidding across the ground when retracting.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:13 PM   #10

Stuck leveler jack

Great thread. Thanks for the info.

I use a level on the floor of the coach to get an idea of what will happen when I extend the jacks. I use blocks under the wheels, if needed up to about 6 inches, and leveler feet to help to keep the pistons from extending so far. I move if this is not enough.

Good luck with your repair.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B