Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2015, 01:04 PM   #1

Stuck Leveling Jack

Hi,

I went to move the MH today and on performing my preflight inspection, I noticed that the left rear leveling jack is not fully retracted. I appears to be extended down about 2"-3" and the base plate is off to the side. The jack itself appears to be slightly canted toward the outboard side of the MH.

The coach is a 1997 Tiffin 32' Allegro Bus on a Freightliner chassis with HWH 610 series leveling system.

Using a 3 ton floor jack did not help to push the jack to it's stored position.
I used the search engine and reviewed several posts, however, they seem to only pertain to getting the foot back on a retracted jack, not one partially extended. I decided to try to shim the springs and realized that probably would not be enough to stretch the spring and get the foot back on.

I am extremely open to suggestions/ help. I need the coach this weekend.

Thanks,

J R
hooptie00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2015, 01:49 PM   #2

Make sure you have the valve open for retracting. Either manual or control on and press retract/store. Then you can use a 2x4 or jack to raise it. That has worked for me.
mdvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:53 PM   #3

From what you describe, it sounds like you either have a bent jack or a stuck valve allowing the fluid to release from the jack.
My money would be on the stuck valve.
Somewhere near the hydraulic Reserviour, you should see a bank of Tee Handle Valves that are used to open the return for each jack in case of emergency. Try locating the one in question by opening each valve and observing the jack in question.
Just make sure to close each one securely after opening until you find the one your looking for. (They might be labeled making the search easier)
Old 10-26-2015, 02:01 PM   #4

Loosen the hose coming from that jack and see if it returns that will let you know if it's the valve or ram
Poohbear7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:22 PM   #5

Thank you everyone, will give these ideas a try in the morning.
As usual, IRV2 comes through again. It never ceases to amaze me, the wealth of information available on this website.

J R
Old 10-27-2015, 11:03 AM   #6

Stuck Jacked Fixed

Hi everyone,

After reading the suggestions posted yesterday, I went out to the coach this morning to give them a try.

With a 3 ton floor jack compressing the bottom of the left rear jack shaft, I opened the Emergency Jack Retraction valves. No Dice, the jack shaft would not compress.

Feeling that I should go back to basics, I started the coach and let the air build to inflate the air bags and engaged the HYD system.

No red warning lights were lit on the control panel.

According to the HWH manual, the system will remain on for 6 minutes after the red warning lights are out, and will attempt to store for 30 minutes if they are lit.
Once the HYD system was activated, I went to the back to reset the floor jack as the air suspension had released the pressure in the shaft.

Poof, like magic the floor jack pushed the jack back to its normal stored position.

So I guess this is a win, but goes against all the IRV2 suggestions and HWH information. I don't know why it worked this time and not the last or why the Emergency Jack Retraction valves failed to allow the shaft to compress. Perhaps someone smarter or more experienced can answer that question.

In the mean time, I hope this will help others if they find themselves in a similar situation.

J R
Old 10-27-2015, 01:56 PM   #7

I believe it worked because you turned the leveling system back on either activating it directly or indirectly by starting the engine. Either way you opened the valve that let fluid out of the ram.

I have experience this before. A reluctant jack would not return up to get a "green" light and I turned off the key too soon. With the system off, the valve that allows fluid back into the reservoir closes and no amount of persuasion from a 2 x 4 or floor jack will get it up. The system had to be "on" for the valve to be open.

Next time you set the jacks, use WD-40 and give the ram shaft a good cleaning. Use some q-tips to clean that half inch up inside the sleeve. You will be surprised how dirty it gets up inside there. Wipe the jack down with a clean soft cloth. I give the shaft a final bath in LU-711 and wipe with a clean cloth.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:58 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
We had the same issue with our 2001 Allegro Bus on our first trip out! We finally got it up by opening up the hydraulic line at the jack to bleed the pressure off. (Then used soap and water to clean up our mess)

We seemed to have solved the problem, seems it is not uncommon with this brand of jack by lubricating the leg with transmission fluid. When we got home, got the tranny fluid, extended the jacks again and lubricated them all. We had to use a block of wood and lever to get it up after that.

Last week we put the jacks down again to level the coach while I was working on putting down cork flooring in the bedroom area and when we told them to go up after I was done they just sucked right up!!! My husband also says to make sure to check the level in the hydraulic reservoir.

That will be on our to do list a couple of times a year I guess.
McKinney, TX
McKTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bounder jack retraction pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKTX View Post
We had the same issue with our 2001 Allegro Bus on our first trip out! We finally got it up by opening up the hydraulic line at the jack to bleed the pressure off. (Then used soap and water to clean up our mess)

We seemed to have solved the problem, seems it is not uncommon with this brand of jack by lubricating the leg with transmission fluid. When we got home, got the tranny fluid, extended the jacks again and lubricated them all. We had to use a block of wood and lever to get it up after that.

Last week we put the jacks down again to level the coach while I was working on putting down cork flooring in the bedroom area and when we told them to go up after I was done they just sucked right up!!! My husband also says to make sure to check the level in the hydraulic reservoir.

That will be on our to do list a couple of times a year I guess.
According to the manual that came with our 2015 Bounder, it recommended silicone spray, each week of extension. I don't do it each week, but prior to retraction. Thanks to everyone on the discussion, it is informative.
Heavy-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:07 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
You're right Heavy-13. You should only use silicone spray on the ram of the jacks.
jimnkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:08 AM   #11

I have a left rear jack the will be balky from time to time. But a good cleaning with WD-40 always does the trick. Just make sure you wipe it all off, or else it works like a dirt magnet. I also found that WD-40 offers a dry lube that I've been using and it seems to work.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:46 PM   #12

WD-40 and LU-711 always work.

Tags
leveling