Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2011, 07:13 AM   #15

This is an interesting discussion gang. I feel bad for you Dr. Mike.

FWIW, I also suspected the TS as others have mentioned. Even though I'm an RVIA Cert RV Tech, I only have 1.5 years in the business and I learn a lot from discussions like this. In a lifetime, you can never learn all the complications of RV's!

Keep us posted Dr.!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post
My Son lost all 110 in his Allegro and it turned out to be a tripped GFIC, which was out of the way (read that hidden) under the rear bed.
Bob
Oh ..... don't get me STARTED! I can't believe some of the bonehead installations that manufacturers make sometimes. I try to look at these from a safety, ease of maintenance, weather protection, etc. standpoint and some of them make sense. Others however, make me think the engineers hate us RV techs!

But ... from an RV tech's point, under the rear bed is a common spot for either electrical (if front engine) or engine access.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:18 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
All of the Freedom and Xantrex Inverter/Chargers have their own large current relay located inside them. You could call this relay a transfer switch but it's purpose, as stated, is to switch from shore power to inverted power. However this is unrelated to a Shore Power/Generator Transfer Switch. It makes no difference whether your coach comes with an Inverter/Charger or a Converter, but if it has a generator then it will have a Transfer Switch.

I work at a RV Electrical/Electronics Distributor in Colorado. We are a service and repair center for Xantrex as well as Magnum products.

Something you might try is to disconnect the negative (large black cable) from the Inverter and leave it disconnected for 15 to 20 minutes then reconnect it. Sometimes the electronics in the inverters get lost and by disconnecting the battery/s to the inverter you are resetting the inverter to it's original state. Just like a computer when they get hung, and you either just reboot them or unplug and then plug back in.

If this doesn't help and your handy with electrical circuits and have a meter check to make sure you have shore power coming into the AC Input #1 connections on the front of the inverter. If you don't have AC power here then your problem is most likely the Transfer Switch. If you do have AC power here then check the AC #1 output on the Inverter. If there is no AC output at this point then you have a problem with the inverter. If the latter is the case most likely it will be the AC Control Board inside the inverter, this is the board that also has the large current relay mounted on it.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob (WA0MQE) View Post
It makes no difference whether your coach comes with an Inverter/Charger or a Converter, but if it has a generator then it will have a Transfer Switch.
Not necessarily. I've seen several (A & C) coaches that require you to plug the shorepower cord into either the park outlet or the generator outlet on your coach.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:32 AM   #19

When I said it was out of the way (hidden) under the rear bed I was referring to it being at the very back of the bed and within 2 inches of the side wall. I could barely get my hand in the space and I had to use a mirror and flashlight to see the buttons on the outlet.

All my other units had them under the bed too but they were mounted where you could actually use them.

Also, there are quite a few AC systems that require the power cable to be plugged into either the park's AC post or the Generator's outlet. On those units if the plug is loose, you have no AC power at all. However, I would think a 2000 model year wouldn't be that way but it is a less expensive way to build a coach because it eliminates a transfer switch.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Mike,
You have some good info about the transfer switch. If you don't have power to your main AC power panel then the problem is the transfer switch. As others have said, just trace the power cord to its end and you should find what Mike describes as the transfer switch.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:02 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
What is the shore power cord connect to? Most likely that is the transfer switch. Someone with electrical experience should be able to test it to see if there is power going in and coming out. If there is power on the shore power input (the cable end), but no power going to the load center (it should be marked), then the problem is the transfer switch. If there is power coming out, the problem is not with it. Move to the next device in line and check power going in and coming out.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #22

Well...after a good night's sleep, and a lot of praying (and cussing) to the gods of RV maintenance, I found the transfer switch. It was indeed buried far behind the bed.

I tried futzing with the relays, (and disconnecting the 458 to attempt a reset, as well). Things are looking to be beyond my ability to fix. Headed up to shop now. Will report when complete.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement! I'm glad I found this forum.

Vr
MJH
Old 07-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #23

Hi, just want to say I had similar problem the other day- absolutely no power! I started checking everything and found that all the main breakers were flipped off- had had some electrical work done and they had not been flipped back to on position. Flipped them on and all was well. Try the simple things first.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have TWO transfer switches in that coach

One for the inverter powered loads

One for everything

There are two types of transfer switches.. The one I have, if there is no power anywhere, will drop to "MAINS".. then when you plug in you get power to your coach This is the "Default" condition.

Once you start the generator, after a period of time it transfers.. This is the "Override" condition.

The other type I"ve seen defaults to "NOT CONNECTED" and when shore power is applied one set of contactors pulls in.. When Generator power arrives, it first drops shore power THEN pulls in the other set for the generator.

This is what YOU have.. Way too complex for my tastes.. IT has failed.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #25

Hello all--an update on the situation:

Stopped into Skyline RV in Lethbridge for the afternoon and a bit if troubleshooting. The transfer switch under the bed turned out to be just fine. The problem did indeed turn out to be the inverter/charger. The service manager, Greg, said he's seen this problem a few times when the 110 pass-through fails resulting in nothing coming thru from the switch, but the inverter still works fine to convert 110 from battery.

Bottom line: We bypassed the 458 unit for shoreline and genny power. When I get back home in 4wks, will send the unit out for repairs.

Thanks again for all your help!
Old 07-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One other thing you need to know.. I have a Prosine 2.0, also a Xantrex product.

My inverter has a remote panel that can disable either the converter/charger or the inverter, (It also can be used to adjust all the adjustable things the unit has, displays input and output information and stuff like that which I really like to know)

It also has an ON/off/Remote switch on the unit itself,, plus an optional remote ON/OFF (which is only used if the switch just mentioned is in the REMOTE position)

OFF means OFF, not even power pass through works, I's OFF 100% OFF,

Tags
power