Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2010, 08:05 PM   #15

Rick, Dan and Mook thanks for the input. I have shown Lena some of the MHs that have peaked my interest and she just wants to make sure there is room for a washer/dryer and that the sitting area has room for the 2 notebook computers we use constantly. Poor gal is really hooked on the net. I feel pretty sure that I am going to limit myself to no more than 25K If it is not big enough or I want something different well in a couple of years I will take another look. If I really like the life style I may then sell the big house and just keep one of my rental units for my dirt home to come home to. I have been reading about toad vehicles and note there seems to be alot of trouble with backing if you have one back there. How do you get around if you don't have a tow vehicle once you get to your destination? I have a bad habit of wanting to eat ... and ... couldn't stand not being able to go pick up some adult beverage when need be!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Olsgarg,

Just wanted to say Welcome to iRV2, you've found a very friendly group that does NOT believe that there is such thing as a stupid question (I should know, I've asked a LOT of completely novice questions since joining).

I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your wife and friends.

Sheila

~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:35 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ah yes-backing with a toad. Don't do it. You will adapt, plan ahead and do a lot of driving in circles. You will need something to run the errands and take to restaurants.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:54 PM   #18
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
For those that don't have a toad, I have heard of them renting a car at their destination. Places like Enterprise deliver. I guess if you run the numbers, you could rent a lot of cars for the price of buying a car (well, a new one anyway).

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:56 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsarg View Post
Rick, Dan and Mook thanks for the input. I have shown Lena some of the MHs that have peaked my interest and she just wants to make sure there is room for a washer/dryer and that the sitting area has room for the 2 notebook computers we use constantly. Poor gal is really hooked on the net. I feel pretty sure that I am going to limit myself to no more than 25K If it is not big enough or I want something different well in a couple of years I will take another look. If I really like the life style I may then sell the big house and just keep one of my rental units for my dirt home to come home to. I have been reading about toad vehicles and note there seems to be alot of trouble with backing if you have one back there. How do you get around if you don't have a tow vehicle once you get to your destination? I have a bad habit of wanting to eat ... and ... couldn't stand not being able to go pick up some adult beverage when need be!
welcome to irv2!
sorry about your wife and friends.
i would advise you to stay away from mohos on the gas workhorse w-20 and w-22 chassis at this time. these chassis have an ongoing brake issue for 9 years now. some, like my moho were subject to a recall in 2003 which did not fix the problem of brakes locking up with no notice and for no apparent reason. workhorse states at this time that bosch, the caliper manufacturer, is going to replace all the calipers on about 50,000 motorhomes sometime this summer. when someone has a brake lockup issue now, sometimes workhorse replaces the caliper with no charge and sometimes they don't.
the consensus is that the problem is caused by too tight a fit between the caliper piston bore and the caliper piston which is made of phenolic material. it seems that moisture in the brake fluid may swell the phenolic material. it took nhtsa to get this far with a new recall which has not been issued yet. check this forum for more info on this subject. believe me, you do not need this kind of grief. there are too many other chassis available.
this is really too bad as imho the combination of the 8.1L v8 and the allison transmission is the best there is. the workhorse w-24 chassis uses different brakes that don't have problems. the w-24 is a newer, heavier chassis and is over your price range.
my advice would also be to rent some rvs with your significant other and then try to decide on what you would like to buy.
5th wheel trailers and a heavy duty pick-up are another option.
i thought i would have to have a washer and dryer in my moho also. my dw insists on using laundromats. there is a lot of info on this forum on this subject. some folks are removing their built in machines and using the space for storage. washing machines use a lot of water and fill up your gray holding tank fast. you have to run the genny if you are not hooked up to shore power.
my dw says that the moho washers and dryers do such small loads that it would take all day to accomplish what you can do in 2 hours at a Laundromat. almost all rv parks have laundry rooms. so do state and national parks.
we have 2 bicycles with saddlebags that we carry on the back of the moho on a ladder rack. we also have a dolly for towing our nissan altima. backing up with the car in tow is not impossible for very short distances, but is a pita.
we use our notebook computer on the dinette table. this works fine for us. we get wifi in most of the places that we park. some folks tether their computer to their cell phone. some use satellites.
sorry about the long post.
ask more questions and you will get a lot if info from this forum.
ps:
the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:50 AM   #20

this is great

just found you folks yesterday and have already gotten lots of feedback regarding things I needed to know. Thanks all.

At 62 and 69 we neither one want to ride a bike so guess we will get a dolly for Lena's Kia and be sure to not go anyplace I need to backup in

I notice there are many RV clubs that claim discounts etc. are any of them really worth joining?

When most plan trips do you just head in the general direction or do you plan your trips including stops, miles to drive per day, etc.

I fear that my background in computers may make me a little uptight in needing to plan things too much.

When you stop at rest areas along the interstate highways do they let you spend the night there to sleep?

Look forward to your input.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:14 AM   #21

Quote:
I just signed up for SS and have decided to get a MH and hit the road. My wife and I saved for years for our retirement, then 3 years ago she came down with a very agressive cancer and passed away. The Drs and hospitals took our savings. Then I sat and watched 6 of my close friends pass away. Well I refuse to sit back and just let what life I have left pass by quietly. So, watchout world here I come. Now for the questions.

32-37 ft MH deisel or gas? why
I like what I have seen with a slide in the living room, is there a good reason other than price to not get a slide?

I started thinking used MH for around 15k then 20, 25, now at 30 am thinking maybe I should stop someplace.

I am thinking of doing 6-8 months on the road each year but coming home for thanksgiving and Xmas, need to have a place for the kids to find me to get my presents (sure thats my story) If I really like it I may do full time but right now I just think I need a piece of dirt to call home.

I am in Southern Illinois, look forward to getting input about semi full time RVing as most of the folks I know think I am crazy.
sarg,

you are NOT crazy. some people are like birds with wings who don't want to try that "flying-thing"--too risky.

do not let your life pass you by without doing it the way YOU want to.

my wife and i jumped into this motorhoming life with virtually no idea of whether we'd even like it or not--and we like it a lot--far more than we even imagined. we just spent valentine's weekend at a very nice COE campground and now we're talking about full-timing! we won't be able to actually do it for a few years but the subject was never discussed before--now it's on the table.

i retired early from an airline flying career. my wife and i are both 55 and we want to enjoy every bit of life before we're too old to.

we are not crazy--neither are you.

look for a nice used tiffin allegro. i would bet you could find something in the $25,000 to $30,000 range that's still in good shape and the tiffin service and support is legendary.

good luck and have fun. the people we have met at the campgrounds we've been to are the nicest collective group of people we have ever met and they're always looking for ways to help other campers. and that's from the people driving the van conversion to the tent campers to the pop-ups to the travel trailers to the 5ers to the motorhomes.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let's take the questions:

Diesel or Gas... This is a very comples question as there are advantages to both. Now I choose Gas, mostly because I know gas engines way better.... If I were my bother (A certified diesel mania..ur, mechenic and over the road truck driver) I might have chosen diesel.

Diesel's are more expensive up front, generally more expensive to service, WHEN they need service, and generally less expensive in the long run.

They also generally have greater Cargo and towing capacaties than a gasser. Generally.... I might add this is one thing you need to look at closely. Our gas house has less than 1,000 pounds of cargo capacity. And I did not have the optional washer/dryer installed.

Length... There are places where longer motor homes won't fit.. I've seen parks with a 35 foot limit for example.. Depending on how good you are at backing into a space, even a 35 footer might be too long there.. However the longer the more room and thus I drive a 37'er (I have been backing into sites since I was about 11)

Slides.. The advantage is room. Lots more room.

Disadvantages: Well it is one more thing that can break down.. Now the power gear rack & Pinion slide on my coach has 1/4" bolts that like to shear off (Some models have roll pins, mine has bolts) I buy 'em by the dozen if that gives you any idea of how easily they shear.

ALso when you have a slide you have a hole.. Yes, they have seals, Yes they do help to keep wind and critters out, but.. generally the seals are NOT perfect.

That said.. I rather like the fact that I have that slide.. I like the room.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #23

Oldsarg,when you do zero in on a rig that you like,return to Irv2 with questions about it and I will guarantee some good information will come your way!

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #24

Quote:
... I notice there are many RV clubs that claim discounts etc. are any of them really worth joining?

... When you stop at rest areas along the interstate highways do they let you spend the night there to sleep?
We still do not belong to any of the camping clubs that give discounts. We did join Good Sam but it was to stay at one campground because we got enough of a discount that it paid for our membership plus additional off our site $$. We did not renew because we didn't stay in another Good Sam affiliated campground in the next year. We tend to like public campgrounds and the discounts don't usually apply for a long term site. Wait a year and see what type of places you will be staying in.

We haven't parked in a rest stop for the night. We have used them to dump tanks and refill water. We park in the parking lots of Sam's Club (1st choice - members- and we really like the ability to buy the already cooked pizza, rotisserie chicken or BBQ ribs for supper) ) or we stay in Wal-Mart, Cracker Barrel, Truck Stops. We like to be able to pull off the road, eat supper with out moving. In the AM we like it if we can have breakfast before heading out. That's why we like Cracker Barrel and Truck Stops. You can dump tanks and take on water at truck stops too.

Pick up a current "The Next Exit" book. The signage at the exits are not that inclusive. We were surprised at how far apart the exits with "amenities" were once we hit TX. Helpful for refueling while on the interstates. Useless for the primary/secondary roads (we had to backtrack 30 miles in NM on a primary road to get gas).
Old 02-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #25

Oldsarg, Sorry to hear your bad news, but sounds like you are ready to finish living and looking ahead. I too, just signed up for SS but must continue working. I wish I were able to fulltime, but isn't an option yet, for me.

If you are set on a Class A, then you may want to rent for a while to find what you like best in a floorplan. There are an awful lot of them for sale. I am trying to sell mine to get back into a Class C that my wife can drive. RVclassified - Ad: 75290 (2004 Damon)

$30K to $45K will get you into some kind of descent gas A, depending on brand, mileage and options. Lots of good advice on this foruum. You have to weigh your options and figure out what type of floorplan suits you best. Good luck. John H...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sarg, here's how my DW and I started. I read as much as my feeble brain could take in about everything RV. I read about holding tanks, electrical systems, mechanical, tires, campgrounds, clubs, etc etc. We went to RV dealers and walked in about every type known to man. We started out thinking a 5er was the way to go, then we switched to Airstream (untill we realized how small they can be), then a C class and finally decided the A was the way for us. We went to the Rally last year in Albuquerque and had a great time looking and just talking to folks who were there. We started checking on line for something in our price range and flipped from A gas to A diesel and back and forth. We found pros and cons to each. We finally found one we felt was worth going to see. Unfortunately, we live in Vegas, this one was in the Orlando, Fl area. We packed some stuff, boarded a Southwest flight and picked up the coach the next day. The real kicker? I had never driven a motorhome before. Was I scared? You better believe it, it took me a hour driving around the parking lot in Florida before I could venture out on the roads. We had a great 2400 mile first trip back to our home. We start full timing August 1st.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:59 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
just found you folks yesterday and have already gotten lots of feedback regarding things I needed to know. Thanks all.

At 62 and 69 we neither one want to ride a bike so guess we will get a dolly for Lena's Kia and be sure to not go anyplace I need to backup in

I notice there are many RV clubs that claim discounts etc. are any of them really worth joining?

When most plan trips do you just head in the general direction or do you plan your trips including stops, miles to drive per day, etc.

I fear that my background in computers may make me a little uptight in needing to plan things too much.

When you stop at rest areas along the interstate highways do they let you spend the night there to sleep?

Look forward to your input.
your questions...

we belong to the good sam club. we are going to join escapees soon.
we just renewed our camping world presidents club for another year. we buy a lot of stuff there and the savings are considerable.
when traveling, we kinda head in the general direction we want to go and stop when we feel like it. we use a portable gps as well as a mac laptop and cell phones.
rest stops are ok to take a break and catch some sleep if you stay away from the idling trucks. walmarts are better. check this free website for walmarts that allow or do not allow overnight parking. you should always ask the management at the store for permission to stay the night. this website depends on rvers to keep it up to date.

Walmart Store Locations Map - Wal-Mart Guide

we chose our gas moho 3.5 years ago because we got a lot more moho for the money that if we had went with a diesel. gas machines don't cost as much to maintain either.
for us the slideouts are necessary. it feels really cramped in our moho when the slides are in. the 2 slideouts add about 60 sq ft, for a total of about 360 sq ft.
check my previous posts for pictures of the inside of my moho when we replaced the carpet with allure composite from home depot.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the Walmart guide!