Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-15-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
Stupid questions from new guy

I just signed up for SS and have decided to get a MH and hit the road. My wife and I saved for years for our retirement, then 3 years ago she came down with a very agressive cancer and passed away. The Drs and hospitals took our savings. Then I sat and watched 6 of my close friends pass away. Well I refuse to sit back and just let what life I have left pass by quietly. So, watchout world here I come. Now for the questions.

32-37 ft MH deisel or gas? why
I like what I have seen with a slide in the living room, is there a good reason other than price to not get a slide?

I started thinking used MH for around 15k then 20, 25, now at 30 am thinking maybe I should stop someplace.

I am thinking of doing 6-8 months on the road each year but coming home for thanksgiving and Xmas, need to have a place for the kids to find me to get my presents (sure thats my story) If I really like it I may do full time but right now I just think I need a piece of dirt to call home.

I am in Southern Illinois, look forward to getting input about semi full time RVing as most of the folks I know think I am crazy.

Oldsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
Freightliner Owners Club
No question is EVER stupid!

We started with a 29 footer Class C with no slides and had plenty of room for 2 adults and 3 kids so you may not have to go any bigger if you're traveling alone. With a 24-29 footer, you will have enough living space and also be able to drive and park it in many more places. Sure a slide gives you more floor space but it is not a necessity.

A gas chassis will be more economical unless you can find a used MH on a diesel Sprinter chassis which gets great fuel mileage.

Don't think you're crazy - think that you are normal in the RV world!

Good luck!

Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
Freightliner Owners Club
Used 2004 Dodge Sprinter for Sale | RVRegistry.com

I little higher than your price range but maybe you can negotiate!

Dodge Sprinter

Price$49,900 Length:21 feetYear:2004 MakeodgeModel:SprinterMiles:66,000Interior Color:Gray/BlueExterior Color:Silver With GraphicsFuel Cap:NAWater Cap:NA

Comments: 2nd Owner, Runs And Looks Great, Dealer Maintained With Service Records, 19 MPG, White Cabinets, Full Kitchen, Top/Bottom Fridge, TV, Shower, Skylight, Queen Island Bed, Sleeps 2, 2 Captain Chairs, DVD, CD/Cassette, Sound System, Generator, Ducted AC/heat, Roof AC, Furnace, Fantastic Fan, Dual Pane Windows, Awnings, Day/Night Shades, Basement Storage, Electric Step, No Smoke, No Pets, Carpet
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2.com. You will find much helpful info here. And good for you to think about getting on the road in an RV....no better way to see the USA .

Only you can decide what you really want and need. You could rent a motorhome and take a 2 week trip and perhaps that will help you determine what size, slides, etc. would be best for you. A slide certainly opens up the living area. Diesel coaches certainly have their advantages but they are more expensive, generally, to maintain.

If you want to kick some tires at a very good dealership, I can certainly recommend Winnebago Motorhome Sales in Rockford, IL. Terry Graham and his family run a nice place there.

Good luck with your search and come back and let us know what you get.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #5
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Oldsarg, welcome to IRV forums a friendly place to ask your questions. First my condolences for your loss, but you are doing the right thing by going on. Second, I don't see any stupid questions, just what every one should ask before getting in too deep.
Most of your questions you will have to answer yourself but then again perhaps we can help with the decisions.
"Gas or Diesel" will depend on the size and weight of the coach you decide to purchase. The larger and heavier already have Diesel, 28 ft to 35ft could have either engine.
Diesel cost more to buy, maintenance cost is higher but it is more fuel efficient. In hilly country and over 28 ft long it most likely better on the hills. How large a coach and where do you plan to go is an important consideration to make your choice. Finally the diesel will most likely have a longer life span than a gas. That's just my opinion, I have a 24ft gas which is all we need at this time, other members here who own diesel rigs will fill in a lot of the Pro. reasons to own a diesel.
I can't help with the prices but it will be limited to what you can afford to spend leaving you enough to live while traveling.
Gas powered Rig, I would think size would be determined by how many persons and/or animals would be traveling. One or 2 persons could be comfortable in a small to large "C" class RV. At 30ft your choice gas or diesel.
Slides well from the various troubles post on the net about them it sort of turns me off, I find I don't need then for what we do. Having said that, it has to be considered that compared to the large number or RV's out there with slides when compared to the number of problems reported on the net, the percentage of problems is likely to be quite small, and shouldn't be a deterrent when deciding on a purchase. There are few coaches (just small ones) that do not have slides, in fact not having slides may be a deterrent to a sale so if resale is to be considered then get the slides.
I am thinking of doing 6-8 months on the road each year but coming home for thanksgiving and Xmas, need to have a place for the kids to find me to get my presents (sure thats my story) If I really like it I may do full time but right now I just think I need a piece of dirt to call home.
You know, I believe you are going to find a lot of members who will agree with that. How many times I've had the same thoughts however DW has MS and it wouldn't be fair to her so it'll be the stick house in winter for us and trips during the spring, summer and fall.

Vanguard VXL2000
Ford V10 Super Duty
Me the Missus and Gabby
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
My first MH was a 1978 Delta, 21' class C, party model. It had a large bathroom in back, a pull-out bar (or pantry if you prefer ), a semi-L kitchen, with 'hand carved' cabinetry, and large horseshoe dining. It had really cool party lights on the ceiling and doghouse I really loved the thing. I used to haul 10 of us around in the thing all the time, to concerts, weekend mountain parties, no one ever complained for lack of room (usually only one person had to stand up) And I've never seen another quite like it. It's also the only Class C I've ever owned, and the van/truck style driving arrangement definitely has its advantages. If I was going to hit the road by myself (which I can't imagine), I'd consider something like it again!
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #7
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Oldsarg,
Really sorry about your loss. Sometimes life really sucks but we gotta hang in there and go forward.
If you are a real novice at this RV thing I'd go for cheap figuring that you will learn what you like and dislike about a motor home. Buy something you can sell without much loss after you figure out what you like. You can learn if towing a car or pick up suits you. No amount of reading will teach you all about the many systems on a MH. You can find out if fixing stuff is a problem for you.
I retired 20 years ago, got social security, went to truck driving school and drove an 18 wheeler. What a blast. Really saw the country. There are millions of great things to do as a second career. It's up to you! Charge on!!
Best Wishes, Milt
Joyce, Milt 2000 Safari Trek 2830
Kettle Falls, Wa
popsuscdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2.

I would echo the advice of an earlier poster, rent a motorhome for a couple of weeks. That will give you a lot of insight into the size and features that will work best for you.

Best of luck

2009 Monaco Camelot
2015 RAM 2500
Blue Ox Aventa LX
CaptPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ditto on renting. However, consider renting a class 'C' then try a class 'A'. You will know from that what you will be giving up for the smaller less expensive if you go the route of a class 'C'.

Another important aspect to the overall maintenance costs of anything you buy is how much of the work can you do yourself. If you are a decent (not professional) mechanic you can learn much from other RVers about what to look for and how to fix it.

You will find RVers one of the most friendly communities you can join.

Best wishes,
David & Gail Salisbury, NC
2003 American Eagle 42'
denochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #10
Thank you all for the words of encouragement and ideas. Some time back before I became mature middleaged (old) I owned a TT that I pulled. Didn't care that much for it but was better than staying at motels all the time. Then had friend with a class C I used a few times, I prefered having everything right there when I parked for the night. I have looked at lot and I mean lots of class a's and am pretty sure that is the route I have to take. I figure I will have a lady friend join me on my trips and I have a 15 year old yorkie (Pebbles) that has been my buddy since she was born to travel with. I am sort of looking forward to driving down the road and saying ..Hey woman how bout getting me a cold soda! and she has no excuse

I have spent a lot of time today reading the other forums and you folks sure have a wealth of information to share with others. thanks again
Oldsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #11
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing to think about is CCC. Most full timers or extended stay part timers find that they need at least 1500 pounds per person, 3000 pounds for two. Many motor homes - gas and diesel - have much less.

You can see the definition of CCC HERE

For models made in the last three years or so there is a new term - "OCCC"

Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #12
I too would support your decision to rv. Were it me, I'd establish a fixed limit for the rv purchase and stick to it. I'd also get my lady friend involved. Just having a friend on the road will likely increase your fun, and her input would potentially be helpful.
As to gas or diesel, diesel carries a high initial premium, so I'd tend to opt for a gas, which will have a lower entry price, and most can always use the extra roominess of slides. There are bargains to be found, and the longer you look, the more likely your decision will be better for you in the end.
Rick&Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #13
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sarg, you can find a lot of shorter Class As out there, even some short DPs. If you are planning on having company, an A is awfly nice.
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 300 Cat
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Officially fulltiming. The Journey Begins
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:17 PM   #14
Welcome Oldsarg;
I've had many of the same questions you have and in the past year bought a 24' Class C and realized during the year I really need a class A. That being said the questions came - what size? gas or diesel? slides or not? I came to the conclusion I need a class A that is 28 to 32 ft. and a gas engine would do fine and I really don't want slides if I can avoid it. And I would be using it about 4 to 6 months per year. So, I reasoned 28 to 32 ft. would be small enough to be manuverable but large enough for two people + woof. Gas engine would be more economical on maintenance than diesel but diesel would probably be more fuel efficient on the road and slides are nice but they have to be maintained and I figure any hole in the coach is a potential entry point for water. So, in my twisted reasoning I am now evaluating which manufacturer fits best. Best of luck in your hunt and enjoy.Hope this helps..

mook1244 is offline   Reply With Quote