Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #127
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ2654 View Post
A few weeks ago I was getting clothes and stuff put in the DP for a 3 day camping trip. After taking some t shirts , shorts, and 2 rolls of paper towels out , I dropped one roll half way there.
After entering(door in middle of coach) putting away stuff, I exited the coach....thinking ahead I knew I wanted to check the overflow tank for the HydroHot system. This was a cargo door forward of the entrance door. I opened the door so I would remember to check it out.
I went and picked up the paper towels I had dropped, walked back around coach and walked directly into the Hydrohot door corner with my forehead. I hit so hard the next thing I saw was I was on the ground on my back, guess I was knocked out for a few....checked my head and some blood, managed to slowly get up and go to house. Mirror check showed large gash on forehead, and right eye blackening and very red.
Ended up with completely shut rt eye for a week, and a sore head. So, camping trip was canceled and stayed home in a bad mood!
Oh man! That's terrible. Sorry that happened to you and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

It is amazing to me how hazards now lurk everywhere... and I never even knew they were there... when I was a younger man.

To add insult to injury, we don't heal as quickly anymore either.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2013, 03:24 AM   #128

Winnebago Owners Club
LJ, thanks for sharing, glad you are healing . I identify with you ,I use to hit my head on slides and cabinet corners and added some strofoam corner bumpers in a TT. Now with this C-MH I run into mirrors, less now that I fold them in.

New to MH RVing,had TTs/HTT/PUPs/Tents, retired 2013,now have more time for church ministries,fam,friends, camping, we have 2007 WB Access 29T with 6.0L Chevy,25K miles,31' 2013 CRV AWD Toad/Falcon2/BrBuddy
rvtime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:10 AM   #129

This is good! I've got one more. So we have purchased a new toad, and before we bought it I called Holland Motorhomes in Michigan to talk to the shop about the vehicle to make their plate install easier, etc. So I give them our name, and he almost immediately says, oh, you have the Dynamax,etc....we haven't seen you for awhile. My response: we didn't do anything stupid last year. That cracked him up.....
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
While hooking up my sewage drain hose to dump the tank at the Ga/SC Welcome Center I made sure to tighten the hose into the fitting that attaches to the drain valve. Then I pulled the dump valve and Wham! The hose blew out of the filling and covered me in yuck from the black tank. I looked around to see who was watching then grabbed the courtesy hose and sprayed myself down and the concrete dump area and the water bay of the coach. Then I walked quickly to the nearest trash can and disrobed down to my underwear and put my shorts and shirt into the can and streaked back to the coach all while my doxie named "House" stared at me. Got into the coach rinsed off and dried off. Put on fresh shorts and shirt then got back into the drivers seat and House came up to me and sniffed then walked away. When I got home to leave for a trip to NC mountains the whole family was waiting and noticed the different attire and I told the story. Needless to say they all had a great laugh!
Wondering why the hose blew out?
Old 11-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgribks View Post
On our 1st trip out with our new to us 96 Itasca, we stayed the weekend down in Branson, MO. It rained hard the last night we were there and when I went to put the slide out in, I just held in the button. About half way in I had a waterfall coming inside. Didn't realize that the topper had become a swimming pool which stuck to the slide out and came inside under the seal.

I now check the slide out topper every time no matter it it rained or not.
Buddy of mine did the exact same thing except he was sitting in the driver's seat and several gallons of cold water ran right down the back of his shirt. Like you, he has NEVER done that again!
Old 11-05-2013, 10:50 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
I hit an "alligator" with my previous coach and it completely bent the electric steps. I also had black marks 6 feet up the side of the coach! Fortunately a technician at an RV shop was able to beat the staps back into shape with a bal peen hammer, and some wax polish took out the black marks. I will now veer or do whatever it takes to avoid hitting a gator!
'Depends' on what is on your right and left!
Old 11-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
I on 2 ocaisions I jumped up and stopped RV's who were headed out with their TV antenna's up. The gate is a toll booth like affair, and they would not have made it through without damage.

It got dark, and as we sat there we heard a large MH coming around the loop road. As it approached us, we were blinded by the headlights, and couldn't see much. However as the coach went buy at about 25 mph, we all at once realized the awning was out!!!

It looked like and explosion, the gaurd in the both was caught totally by surprise, ran for his life after the big bang. The coach stopped 75' past the booth. Serious damage to the side of the coach, and the awning was destroyed, yet hanging from the side. It took 2 hours to get it all off the MH and be road ready again.

L.
I'm told by more than one that satellite antennas and awnings are two of the worst that are forgotten when you break camp. makes a great statement for checklists, like all good pilots use.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsinmich View Post
We were at my Mother-In-laws and getting ready to go home. I had not left enough space between the tow dolly and the garage so I could load the car so I got out of the car to pull the MH forward. DW stood there with her hand over her mouth and not saying a word. I had not shut the car door and had caught it on the dolly. I had pulled the door totally around to the front fender. That took a lot of rope to keep the door safe for a 500 mile trip home. It was a long wait for another door so she could use her car again.
Probably a long wait for a lot of things
Old 11-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #135

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is a great thread. I guess we have all had our moments with the RV. Iím new to being an RVíer and hopefully I am learning from the posts. Even though I am new I still have had a ďlearning experienceĒ When we first got the motorhome , I had not had the pad put in the yard to park on and it was sitting in the grass. I live in N.E. Texas and it was warm (hot for anyone not in Texas) so no problem. Then as it does in Texas the weather changed and it rained for two days. Still no problem I thought. We were going for a short trip so I started planning to get the RV out of the yard. I figured with some 2X 12 boards I could just pull right out. Well I did pull about two feet before I sank the rear wheels half way into the yard. No problem, off to Home Depot for some bags of rocks. Dug out around the wheel and placed the rocks in front of the tires. Started her up and tried to pull forward. Now I have the wheels and two bags of rocks stuck under the wheels. My neighbor hears all the noise and comes over to help me dig around the wheels some more. Now we put more 2X 12ís in front of the tires. Start her up and manage to spin the wheels just enough to bury the boards under the tires with the rocks in by now the very large holes. After more digging and another hour are so, I think about the levelers. There is just enough room between the levelers and the ground to slide a 2X12. Under it goes as I crawl through the now muddy yard and down go the levelers. Iím praying now that there is enough board to distribute the weight and lift the wheels. Amazingly the wheels rise and more rock and boards go under the wheels. Up go the lifts and I clear everyone away from the RV. I putting her in gear and not stopping until I make it to the concrete driveway I hope. Thank goodness it works and Iím sitting on the driveway with half my back yard stuck to the bottom of the RV.

The pad went in the next day.
Cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #136

not enough time

We've fulltimed in a MH and toad since '97 so there are a "couple".
First, do not forsake departure check list. We overnighted in a rock quarry ran by my brother and got distracted by the activity in the morning. Hooked up and pulled up to a lane waiting for a truck to go by and heard on the radio, "You might want to check that car. The front tires aren't turning." I'd not put the thing in neutral.
Next, DO NOT ignore warnings about the tow bar angle from receiver to toad. We had no problems for the first fifteen years but hit a storm drainage swale in Midland, TX a month ago (well below the speed limit) and the up-and-down bent the base plate because the difference in hitch height to car tow bar height was too great.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #137

Winnebago Owners Club
Preparing to leave camp. Parked on a perfectly level concrete pad. Slide in, jacks up, time to hook up the toad. Needed about 6 more feet to hook up properly, jumped into MH and pulled up a few feet, hear a loud bang, darn, I forgot the sewer and water were still hooked up, well not any more. I got lucky, it simply pulled the hose off of the end of the coupler on both of them, no damage to the MH or the park water stand. Bought a new water hose and repaired the sewage hose, good as new, not really. The first and only time I used it after that it spouted sewage water out of several small holes that had been stretched in it. No problem, easy cleanup and I now also have a new sewer hose.
1999 Winnebago Adventurer, Sam, Judy, Grand Daughter - Kenzie, 3 spoiled Pomeranians, Bella, Tinker and Aurora - 1 spoiled JR terrier, Mayzee - 1996 Ford Explorer, Sport 2 Door, 4 wheel drive, pulls 4 down like a dream.
Sam Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #138

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't blow your tank!

There we were taking my 35SB3 Cameo 5th wheel to Florida pulled by my new 2011 Ford DRW King Ranch. My wife and I brought my mother and her husband so they could share in satisfying one of the items on my bucket list, to watch the space shuttle launch (Endeavor).
After numerous delays of the launch we ran out of time and it was time to hit the road. I was doing what I always did when flushing the black water tank. Flush, drain, flush, drain. Problem was I did what was expressed in a previous story. I had closed the valve outside and stood there for a few minutes to get a "better" flush on the tank. As I turned the water pressure for the flush on the black water tank on I noticed a couple of guys admiring my Ford. They commented how nice it was and asked about all that it had to offer. Of course my mind immediately focused on all the great options and high tech features of the truck. This conversation went on for I don't know how long and then it happened....bang! As I heard this loud noise my wife, mother, and her husband came running out the door shouting "What was that?!" I looked over with a sick feeling in my stomach as I saw water pouring from underneath the 5th wheel. I was so sick about it as was the guys who were talking to me. They even offered to help me take out the tank and install a new one if I was able to get one. I explained that we were moments from hitting the road and thanked them for their offer. Reservations on the way home included a request to be near the bath house.
It was a trip to remember! Not to mention the cost of repairs for a new tank.
PLEASE do not do what I did! I had no idea of the pressure that would build or the damage it could cause. Never close the valve when flushing your black water tank.
This is a "you only do this once" type of mistakes. That I promise you!
Safe travels!
Old 11-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #139
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinVa View Post
There we were taking my 35SB3 Cameo 5th wheel to Florida pulled by my new 2011 Ford DRW King Ranch. My wife and I brought my mother and her husband so they could share in satisfying one of the items on my bucket list, to watch the space shuttle launch (Endeavor).
After numerous delays of the launch we ran out of time and it was time to hit the road. I was doing what I always did when flushing the black water tank. Flush, drain, flush, drain. Problem was I did what was expressed in a previous story. I had closed the valve outside and stood there for a few minutes to get a "better" flush on the tank. As I turned the water pressure for the flush on the black water tank on I noticed a couple of guys admiring my Ford. They commented how nice it was and asked about all that it had to offer. Of course my mind immediately focused on all the great options and high tech features of the truck. This conversation went on for I don't know how long and then it happened....bang! As I heard this loud noise my wife, mother, and her husband came running out the door shouting "What was that?!" I looked over with a sick feeling in my stomach as I saw water pouring from underneath the 5th wheel. I was so sick about it as was the guys who were talking to me. They even offered to help me take out the tank and install a new one if I was able to get one. I explained that we were moments from hitting the road and thanked them for their offer. Reservations on the way home included a request to be near the bath house.
It was a trip to remember! Not to mention the cost of repairs for a new tank.
PLEASE do not do what I did! I had no idea of the pressure that would build or the damage it could cause. Never close the valve when flushing your black water tank.
This is a "you only do this once" type of mistakes. That I promise you!
Safe travels!
Ouch. Believe me, I feel your pain because I've been there.

I wonder why the pressure didn't force water up through your black tank vent? When "my friend" did it () ... water was forced up through the tank vent and poured off of the roof. Fortunately, it was my... I mean his... third rinse so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #140

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've been RV'n for almost 40 years now and have seen as well as done some pretty stupid things. The dumbest one was done by me! I had just purchased a new to me diesel pusher and had driven clear across country to take possession. The first week I had it, I hit a low overpass on the Bronx Expressway and took the roof off! Needless to say, I bought a Truckers GPS before I bought my next motorhome.