Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2015, 10:26 PM   #155

I know this is an old thread but I'm new here. We've had trailer boats for the last 15 years before selling the boat for a trailer. So I'm very used to hooking up a boat trailer to a simple 2" ball, in fact I usually just left the ball in the reciever. But now we have a WD hitch with the heavy ball mount, the wd bars etc. So I get it all hooked up, and actually pull forward a couple feet. Then I realize I never put the pin in the receiver to secure the ball mount. I had to disconect everything then slide the hitch forward so the pin would go in the hole.... (we do have a check list and hopefullly I would have caught it on the last walk by)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2015, 04:54 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle2 View Post
I know this is an old thread but I'm new here. We've had trailer boats for the last 15 years before selling the boat for a trailer. So I'm very used to hooking up a boat trailer to a simple 2" ball, in fact I usually just left the ball in the reciever. But now we have a WD hitch with the heavy ball mount, the wd bars etc. So I get it all hooked up, and actually pull forward a couple feet. Then I realize I never put the pin in the receiver to secure the ball mount. I had to disconect everything then slide the hitch forward so the pin would go in the hole.... (we do have a check list and hopefullly I would have caught it on the last walk by)

Most of us have written checklists. It is just too tempting to think "I have read that list so many times and gone through the procedures just as many. And anyway, it's just a short trip." Been there, done that.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:02 AM   #157

Even professionals have bad days. I've seen an air force C5 Galaxy transport plane which is one of the largest cargo planes in the world make a perfect landing....only problem is the highly trained pilots forgot a step on the checklist that said...put landing gear down. Quite a show....I'm sure a couple careers ruined at that point as well. Point is...checklists only work if you actually use them and we are all guilty of a momentary lapse of reason.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:28 AM   #158

forgot to set the kingpin on our first 'fulltime' home, a Blackwood fifthwheel. I had stepped back toward the rv to do a walkaround when I noticed the truck looked like it was moving by itself(?) - that's when I realized that the rv was the one moving(!). Fortunately, I had also already closed the truck tailgate, which 'saved' the rv from rolling all the way into neighbors down the way.
I was sorry to wind up with a bent, but still useable, tailgate, but relived to have an intack home : )
Interesting note: I had just scouted out some stores in the area that might have a 'fifthwheel' tailgate earlier the same day - glad I was not successful in finding one!

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:43 AM   #159

we moved up from our fifthwheel to a new Georgetown 38' ClassA within about a month of going fulltime, which was all new to us - never an RVr until June14'.
We arrived at a fairly unique rv 'park' in FL, which I found out was actually just a area set aside from a horse farm. The new owners had little experience, set the sites very tight together, and with little room for larger units to maneuver. I told the manager, who was 'directing' me from his atv, that a Cadillac was parked too far in the lane, and right where we needed to 'turn' our unit into our site. He assured me that I had 'plenty' of room for my turn, and that the car was owned by someone who was still at work and there was no way to move it.
Against my gut(!), I gave in and allowed him to 'direct' us through the turn.
You know the rest - my insurance paid for a new side mirror and passenger door for 'someones' Cadillac!
Leason learned, No One gives me directions anymore - and, more importantly, I listen to my gut...
We traded for our new Palazzo 33.3 DP within two weeks. They never even mentioned the slight 'damage' to our rear end, but did have a laugh about the Cadillac!

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:52 AM   #160

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My turn. Happy to arrive at a CG before dinner for the first outing of year. Our fellow camper had arrived an hour earlier and was trying to select the two sites. They had a 1965 Scotty TT (maybe 12') and we are at 43'. Anyways the host wasnt busy and took me around in a GC to show me site options. Most were going to be hard to access and level so we decided on the sites in the back. Well it had rained hard the night before and this area of the CG still had some standing water in places. I told the host that I'm around 38,000 pounds I doubt we would float. We finally found a semi-level site with pretty solid ground. Pulled in, set up with 18" pads under the jacks, all was good until...

The fresh water tank was still empty from being winterized so I started to fill it. It is a 100gal so it takes awhile to fill. I was called inside as the refer wasn't getting cold despite being on genny the 3hr trip. After a hour, I remembered the filling. Yup, standing water around most of the site. Most of it was gone before retiring for the evening. But wait, there is more...

The next morning, while walking around inside, I notice the coach has more wobble than normal. Yup, the front jack (only have 1 in the front) has pushed the pad into the ground 12". I was able to retract it without issue but the pad 4-layers of 3/4" plywood 18"x18" was warped from being soaked in a hole and under weight overnight.

Although I was pretty lucky this time, I am really not happy with myself as I had overfilled the FW tank last Spring as well.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:34 PM   #161

Well today I scraped the sewer vent cap off with the water hose while cleaning the roof. It snapped back on ok Then broke the head off my cleaning brush when I tossed it in the grass from the roof.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:29 AM   #162
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I've never done anything stupid! (I do fib occasionally)

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:10 PM   #163

So sorry to hear that! Here's to a speedy recovery to you!
Old 05-07-2015, 06:26 PM   #164

Does filling your diesel with gasoline count?
Old 05-07-2015, 06:30 PM   #165

Many moons ago, DW and I were having a open house to sell our 1987 Glendale Royal Classic (class c) With numerous potential buyers coming over to view, we figured lets get it all hooked up in our driveway to prove everything was working. The last step in this process was lighting the hot water heater. For the life of me I couldn't get the pilot light to light (it had always worked before) After both the DW and I couldn't get the Pilot to light, and with potential buyers pulling in the driveway, I did a live light, bypassing the Pilot. I saw a ball of fire shoot out the tube and surrounded my face, cinging all facial hair. I was laughing, my DW was freaked and crying. The potential buyers must have smelled the burning hair, but no-one said anything. The RV did sell for full asking price and I did tell the new owner, you might want to get the pilot light looked at.
Cheers,
Ted
Old 05-07-2015, 06:34 PM   #166

Now that is funny!
Old 05-07-2015, 07:30 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enokie View Post
I had this happen in my brand new truck of two weeks! (17 years ago)

Keys in the ignition, deserted h'way and no way to get into the truck.
Lucky for me a truck coming the other way stopped and was able to get the window down just enough to get a wire in and trip the door lock.
How I don;t know as it is flat against the door...

Now I have a spare made and unscrew the license plate put the spare key om the screw and just replace the plate...
someone will come along with at least a dime that will unscrew that plate to get to the spare key!! (better than those boxes that magnetize to the chassis somewhere, the crooks don't know about this trick ....

(Well they do now if they are lurking!! Oops! )

BTW still driving said truck, and the screw is probably rusted!)
Great idea with the extra key - I was thinking of buying an exterior lock that has space for a key storage. I was thinking I'd lock it to my ladder and then put the extra key in the key storage area of the lock. I am concerned about it being jostled around. Any thoughts?
Old 05-07-2015, 07:50 PM   #168
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Buy one of these and mount it in your propane tank bay.
KeySafe, Slimline Pushbutton Lockbox 2-Key Safe, 001414 at The Home Depot - Tablet
I have a combination lockbox I've had for years I use.