Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #15

Two totally different items ...

1. Unhooked my trailer on a gravel parking lot that wasn't exactly level, with the intention of blocking the wheels quickly, afterwards. Started moving within seconds and two of us were able to stop it and I grabbed a rock to block the wheel. I was a newbie at the time.

2. Stared a bear in the eyes, and it started straight for me! Never stare a bear in the eyes! Ever!
scubastevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #16

This will be the first of 87 part mini series on the SNAFU's of Smitty.

(Well, it could be....)

I'll just say that I've caught myself nodding my head as I read some of these posts! We go, we have fun, we make mistakes. I like to call it "Burn as you learn!"

I always wear fire proof gloves now.

Be safe, have fun, best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #17

After having my coach serviced, I drove it to work and parked in the back lot, which is always empty with plenty of room to manuever. The only thing back there is a basketball hoop. This day, a couple of cars had parked there, so I was being very careful not to hit them. Looked up at the last minute, just in time to see that basketball hoop, and slammed on the brakes. Thank God, the coach stopped with the hoop just touching the front windshield. After breathing a sigh of relief, I put the transmission in neutral. Never taking my eyes off the hoop, I put the trans into reverse, or so I thought. Yep, I had put it back in drive by mistake, took my foot off the brake, and that hoop came right on through the front windshield. And off course, most of my employees had come out back and were watching.

Good thing windshield replacements in Florida are no deductible!
Roadglider09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Certainly my most costly mistake was leaving 40 feet of my full body paint on a concrete barrier.

We were crossing the Bourne Bridge (I think) leading on to Cape Cod. It's a very old bridge with some unforgiving "curbs". There was a large tug pushing barges under the bridge and I craned my neck to take a look. As I did the coach drifted to the right just enough to ... well, make a very bad sound.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #19

The most stupid thing I have ever done while RVing is going to Walmart with my wife
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #20

8 Stupid things, in sequence: 1-bought travel trailer. 2-bought Class C. 3-bought pickup camper. 4-bought pickup camper. 5-bought travel trailer. 6-bought 5th wheel. 7-bought 5th wheel. 8-bought Class A. With all the selling/trading/bartering involved with each. Considering all the "improvements" and depreciation on each, it has cost a fortune. And I loved all of it.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #21

While hooking up my sewage drain hose to dump the tank at the Ga/SC Welcome Center I made sure to tighten the hose into the fitting that attaches to the drain valve. Then I pulled the dump valve and Wham! The hose blew out of the filling and covered me in yuck from the black tank. I looked around to see who was watching then grabbed the courtesy hose and sprayed myself down and the concrete dump area and the water bay of the coach. Then I walked quickly to the nearest trash can and disrobed down to my underwear and put my shorts and shirt into the can and streaked back to the coach all while my doxie named "House" stared at me. Got into the coach rinsed off and dried off. Put on fresh shorts and shirt then got back into the drivers seat and House came up to me and sniffed then walked away. When I got home to leave for a trip to NC mountains the whole family was waiting and noticed the different attire and I told the story. Needless to say they all had a great laugh!
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #22
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
While hooking up my sewage drain hose to dump the tank at the Ga/SC Welcome Center I made sure to tighten the hose into the fitting that attaches to the drain valve. Then I pulled the dump valve and Wham! The hose blew out of the filling and covered me in yuck from the black tank. I looked around to see who was watching then grabbed the courtesy hose and sprayed myself down and the concrete dump area and the water bay of the coach. Then I walked quickly to the nearest trash can and disrobed down to my underwear and put my shorts and shirt into the can and streaked back to the coach all while my doxie named "House" stared at me. Got into the coach rinsed off and dried off. Put on fresh shorts and shirt then got back into the drivers seat and House came up to me and sniffed then walked away. When I got home to leave for a trip to NC mountains the whole family was waiting and noticed the different attire and I told the story. Needless to say they all had a great laugh!
Another proud moment in RVing! Thanks for sharing!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #23
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
One of my many:

I think Trouble follows me!

Took one of my past RVs out to wash it because I was going to put it up for sale and the first thing I notice is what I thought to be leaves flying around was actually one of my thicker pin stripes. Yup! Pealed her off like a banana skin. Good luck matching that mister "I want a Monaco product that’s no longer available".

Now the topper. You'd think that for all the times I've washed my RV that I would remember not to spray up into the outside fridge access?
NOOOOOO. Not Me!

Didn't realize it was an issue till I plugged the RV in at home and didn't hear the fridge cut in. No lights. Looked outside at the electronic fridge control switch board. Little red light is on, tested and have 12v in but no 12v out. Power to the plug is good. Can't find a fuse, but given that I have 12v to the control switch, I don't think it's a fuse.

Wait.....I know what it is......it's money flying out of my back pocket!!!! Ya That’s it!!! I had just blown the recall circuit board!

Oh....and of course....like any of the other s@%&$y things that tend to happen, it's always on a weekend when no one is available and no RV stores are open.

Hey what's that swirling up in the sky??? Are those Locusts????

Na...couldn't be.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #24

Backed the coach into our drive way (just barely fits) with wife's car on the street. Walked around the coach a notice a new scratch on the back corner of the bumper. Told wife someone must of hit me or I hit something a did mot feel it sometime.

Wife goes to the store and come back and shows me the new damage to her car. I had clipped the front of the car with the tail wag when maneuvering around another car that park on the street across from our drive way.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I'm not sayin' nuttin'!
Me either, Wayne!! (But I did hear about some goofy woman missing the step and tumbling all the way out of the motorhome last time we went camping. ) My hubby wrote "9.5" on a piece of paper and then had to make his own dinner.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Me either, Wayne!! (But I did hear about some goofy woman missing the step and tumbling all the way out of the motorhome last time we went camping. ) My hubby wrote "9.5" on a piece of paper and then had to make his own dinner.
So how come you lost half a point? Didn't stick the dismount perfectly?
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #27

Funny how a lot of these posts have to do with water. Whilst we at Thor's getting warranty work done, their Steve told us of a customer who had come in for a very expensive repair. It seems he had hooked up to the city supply but, by accident and without his knowledge, he was filling his fresh water tank without the gravity side cap removed. He then went out to lunch. On his return he found that the plastic tank had expanded to such an extent that the floor had been raised and a sidewall pushed out. There was also a lot of water damage in the coach. The repair bill came to about $25,000 we were told. Let that be a lesson to us all!
MartinC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #28
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
So how come you lost half a point? Didn't stick the dismount perfectly?
Shame on him for the .5 deduction. I'd have given it an 11. Hee hee!

Hope only your ego was hurt.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote