Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #99
I'd parked the rv in front of the house while my wife and I loaded it for an upcoming trip. The next morning, as we were preparing to leave, I put the rv into drive at exactly the same time I realized the jacks were down. Immediately, the jack control panel began to flash and emit an audible alarm warning me of impending disaster. Realizing I almost made a major boo boo, I shifted the trans back into park and retraced the jacks. I'm sure I would have realized my error before I attempted to drive off, but just the same...

PapaBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #100
Monaco Owners Club
My stupidity is probably one of the more expensive ones. I had a big 8d starting battery that went bad so I replaced it. A couple months later the new battery went bad so I took it back for warranty. I decided to go with 2 12 volt batteries with more cranking amps. I brought them home and put them in and wired them up like I used to do in my older big rigs. Instead of being in parallel I wired them in series. I turned on the cut off switch and climbed in and hit the starter and instantly realized it was getting 24 volts instead of 12. Long story short it killed my HWH air leveling computer box and the solar charger. By time the dust settled the repairs cost $1000, I was lucky it didn't do more.

Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #101
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two "mistakes"

We went camping this weekend with my daughter and family. This was their first trip with a new trailer. All went well until time to leave. Both rigs were ready to go. Theirs was hooked up and running. The kids loaded their two Doxies and closed the door. We talked a minute..they went to leave and the truck was locked. The dogs had stepped on the door lock switch! No spare KEY! After some anguish we thought maybe the dogs could unlock the door...my daughter went to the window and started talking to them. Sure enough they stepped on the button again and unlocked the door! We had a great laugh.
Bob & Sandy, 2 Doxies, Punkin & Patches. 2003 Newmar Scottsdale 3456. W22, 8.1 / Allison. 05 Dakota Crew Toad.
Mixmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #102
bent them both at once

Had already made the deals to buy a new truck and a new 5th wheel trailer. Decided to take one last trip with the soon to be traded rig. After unloading the motorcycle, decided to "fine tune" the alignment of the trailer on the site. At some point I must have lowered the tail gate on the truck......... You know what happened next - Put the tail gate through the front of the trailer. Bent them both at the same time and the truck was to be traded on Monday!
Central New York; 2016 Rockwood 2604WS travel trailer
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Eco Diesel; 2002 Harley Heritage Classic
Bill Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #103
Note to self ... plastic becomes brittle in cold weather and has a tendency to break.

I had intentionally loaded up both the black and gray water tanks since this was my last trip for the year and wanted a jump start to winterize the RV by getting a good flushing of the tanks ...

Slowly pulled the black tank lever and promptly got the nasty stuff all over my shoes, lower pant legs and socks. A plastic retaining tab broke, which caused the mess. After cleaning everything up, the first stop I made was to purchase a new 3" tube and a different type of retaining adaptor. Next year will be different!!
scubastevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #104
I have a new one: drove a Class A through the car lane on the WV turnpike. Managed to get through unscathed, but won't be doing that again.
2010 F150 King Ranch
2014 Forest River FR3
cucamelsmd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #105
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I was on the way to Vegas in my 2006 Winnie a couple years back. I was in a city, multiple lane and saw a road gator, couldn't miss it so straddled it.

I then had to go on a detour and hit a pretty rough railroad and suddenly the motorhome wasn't running good. It was trying to cut out. I thought I knocked something loose on the railroad track. I pulled off in a shopping center, looked around, under and everything didn't see anything. I was wondering what I was going to do but noticed there was a town a few miles down the road, wouldn't you know they had an rv shop in it. It was a small incline I had to go up. Got in explained my problem. So the guy comes out and looks, he immediately said I see your problem. The gator had bent my tailpipe up and it was caught against the inside tire and was cutting the tire plus closing off the pipe. He said I can cut off the pipe but you will have to take it to the firestone store on down the road to get it fixed. We looked at the toad and it had damaged one of the tires there too.

So we phoned ahead and got to the Firestone place, he said they would have to take it to a muffler place the next morning and we also had to buy 2 tires. In the interim I was driving to the next town and the carbon monoxide detector started going off. I realized we were sucking it into the back of the motorhome. I pulled over, my DD rides in the back, got her out of there into the front and opened windows and aired it out. Without that detector she would likely have died, maybe me too.

I can't think of the name of the town, but past it was miles of nothing. We sure have had an angel on our shoulder during our travels.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #106
Originally Posted by cucamelsmd15 View Post
I have a new one: drove a Class A through the car lane on the WV turnpike. Managed to get through unscathed, but won't be doing that again.
I actually hit my passenger mirror on a toll booth on the Ohio turnpike coming back from Milwaukee over Labor Day. Other than pride damage and a couple scratches that are very hard to see, no damage done.
_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #107
Coming out of Frisco I went through a car lane at the toll booth. Heavy traffic got me. The booth was tall rock structure and caught the rt mirror, breaking the head off. I managed to get to an RV store but they didn't work on these. Made it to CW but they didn't have the mirror but tried to rig a portable one which wouldn't work. One tech asked about the side camera and when we tried it, it provided an excellent view of the right side. Ended up staying in Reno an extra week to order a new mirror, $500.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #108
National RV Owners Club
Angle on our shoulder.

We were in upper State New York about 10 or 12 years ago heading for a R.V. rally and I took a wrong turn that put us on an old road and a mile or so later we came upon a one way bridge which we had to cross so as we were just on it my Wife said that the sine she just saw said Waight Not Over 1600 lb.
When I heard that I put the peddle to the metal and cross it as fast as our 36' Dolphin would go.
Now, the not so good part came a little later down the road that came to a dead end, of course we un hooked the car an got turned around and as we approached the bridge again, well we are still here and still R.Ving.
Just a wishfully thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #109
Winnebago Owners Club
I sympathize with crv brakes. I think we left ours on, now we are replacing emergency brakes. We like the car but not the way emergency brake lever is presses in to engage and also release. Yep, add to tow checklist. I think we had on ours, we don't ever remember the brake being left on but it obviously was at some point, ouch.
New to MH RVing,had TTs/HTT/PUPs/Tents, retired 2013,now have more time for church ministries,fam,friends, camping, we have 2007 WB Access 29T with 6.0L Chevy,25K miles,31' 2013 CRV AWD Toad/Falcon2/BrBuddy
rvtime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #110
Originally Posted by _nelsonc View Post
I actually hit my passenger mirror on a toll booth on the Ohio turnpike coming back from Milwaukee over Labor Day. Other than pride damage and a couple scratches that are very hard to see, no damage done.
My mirrors (my initial concern) were fine. The WV turnpike has a cattle chute on each lane, and that was by far the closest of anything to the sides of the coach.

What irritates me the most is that I do actually know better.
2010 F150 King Ranch
2014 Forest River FR3
cucamelsmd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #111
Dragged our toad half way across Montana because I didn't follow the check list and left the parking brake on. $3800 later we had a new set of brakes on the toad. I thought the head wind was affecting the horsepower that day!
John and Carole VanGorder
2007 Simba 35" DP; 2013 CRV toad,BlueOx bar, AFO brake
"The Road Is Calling And We Must Go"
jvanfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:00 AM   #112
Fleetwood Owners Club
Was at a fuel station, got fuel already once then it shut off at a 100 went to do it again it wouldn't work had to go see attendant so I set my cap inside the fuel door and locked door taking keys with me. walked half way around the the state to see the attendant in a cold wind. Seen her she said it is ok she reset it it. Went back outside ran card pump said "see attendant" so I thought well I will probably only put in maybe 3 to 10 gallons max to fill it. So I got in and took off! Drove a couple hundred miles stopped for the night was looking around and noticed a lot of road film on passenger side of coach. I figure it prolly wasn't More the a 1/4 to a 1/2 cup of diesel that sprayed down the side of my freshly waxed coach!

Sally, Hailey (Shih Tzu) and Me!
08 Revolution LE 40E
12 Jeep Wrangler,10 FLHX
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote