Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #141

In my case, it's what I haven't done. In December 2011, I had a cardiac issue that resulted in hospitalization for the installation of four stents. As a result, I didn't get out to the MH to do the 4-weekly "exercise the generator" until about late May.

When I did get out there, it wouldn't start. Fault codes were meaningless (insufficient cranking speed). It still doesn't run - trying to start it results in loud back-fires and big clouds of water vapor fron the exhaust pipe.

I guess I'll have to get it fixed before we sell - probably in April next year. Gas prices are likely to run us off the lifestyle, particularly if a current proposal for an additional 11 cents a gallon in WA gets approved.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2013, 03:58 AM   #142

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Low Bridge

Ouch! I could not imagine taking he roof off the RV. I will definitely look into the truckers GPS. Thank you for posting! Safe travels.
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:24 AM   #143

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lesson learned!

Ok, so we are about to leave the driveway from the house to take the new RV to the dealer for the 90 day punch out list. My driveway has post and board fencing on the right and trees on the left as we exit the drive. As I am watching the left side to be sure I do not have any of the small branches brush against the new coach I hear a noise on the right side. I immediately stop and see the right side of the coach against the black post and board fence.
The fix: I exit the coach and walk to the garage, grab the chain saw, fire it up, (my wife looks at me wondering what I am about to do?) and cut two of the posts 4 inches above the ground. I turn off the chain saw and return it to the garage. My wife walks into the pasture and pulls the fence away from the coach as I pull forward away from the fence and we are on our way. The damage was black streaks down the side of the new coach. Fortunately there was no damage to speak of that buffing will not take care of.
As soon as my wife got belted in her seat she looked at me and said, "I am proud of you." I asked her why and she said the old me would have cut the fence, thrown the chain saw as far as possible until it landed in the garage, and complained until we hit the highway. It actually took the pain of hitting the fence away and I felt pretty good for the next two hours on the road!
Guess there is positive in everything that happens in life! Lesson learned and it wasn't about watching the mirrors!
Safe travels!
Old 11-25-2013, 05:55 AM   #144

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
First trip in our new to us DP. Fuel gauge says half full, but seems to bounce around. So, I'm looking for a place to fill it up, but every place looks too small for me to get in and out. We get out into the country and I think I'll fill up on the way back from camping, sputter, sputter. I pull over and call GS Road Service. Anyway, don't ever trust a bouncing gauge, especially on a new coach. Turned out it had a bad ground and was empty.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:18 AM   #145

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillbilly View Post
Yesterday I did my most stupid act. I climbed up on a step ladder with a garden hose in one hand, intending to spray the slide topper off. Well, as you are guessing, the ladder started falling. I figured I would jump off before I fell. There was grass just five feet away. I jumped, but not far enough. I landed on the concrete driveway with the full force on my right heel. My wife had just gone in for a second to use the bath. I managed to get up and tried o apply pressure on my foot but the pain was too great. I laid there for about five minutes until my wife came out. She managed to get me into the car and drive me to the emergency room. I brke my heel in two locations. Now I'm in a leg cast for six weeks, with the motorhome only half washed and the lawn needing mowed! I'm thankful. It could have been much worse.
OUCH!
Old 11-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #146

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixmanbob View Post
We went camping this weekend with my daughter and family. This was their first trip with a new trailer. All went well until time to leave. Both rigs were ready to go. Theirs was hooked up and running. The kids loaded their two Doxies and closed the door. We talked a minute..they went to leave and the truck was locked. The dogs had stepped on the door lock switch! No spare KEY! After some anguish we thought maybe the dogs could unlock the door...my daughter went to the window and started talking to them. Sure enough they stepped on the button again and unlocked the door! We had a great laugh.
I had this happen in my brand new truck of two weeks! (17 years ago)

Keys in the ignition, deserted h'way and no way to get into the truck.
Lucky for me a truck coming the other way stopped and was able to get the window down just enough to get a wire in and trip the door lock.
How I don;t know as it is flat against the door...

Now I have a spare made and unscrew the license plate put the spare key om the screw and just replace the plate...
someone will come along with at least a dime that will unscrew that plate to get to the spare key!! (better than those boxes that magnetize to the chassis somewhere, the crooks don't know about this trick ....

(Well they do now if they are lurking!! Oops! )

BTW still driving said truck, and the screw is probably rusted!)
Old 11-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #147

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Ouch. Believe me, I feel your pain because I've been there.

I wonder why the pressure didn't force water up through your black tank vent? When "my friend" did it () ... water was forced up through the tank vent and poured off of the roof. Fortunately, it was my... I mean his... third rinse so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Rick
I have no idea but it was the 3rd flush so it was just water by then. Thank goodness.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #148

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I wonder why the pressure didn't force water up through your black tank vent?
It still takes quite some pressure to raise a column of water all the way up the pipe to the roof vent. It can be more than you think. Perhaps the water was working its way up the pipe, but before it could get to the top the pressure got to be more than the tank could handle?
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #149
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
It still takes quite some pressure to raise a column of water all the way up the pipe to the roof vent. It can be more than you think. Perhaps the water was working its way up the pipe, but before it could get to the top the pressure got to be more than the tank could handle?
That probably makes sense. IMO it's a real design issue though if the "fuse" in the whole thing is when the black tank explodes.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #150

Entegra Owners Club
I'm not sure where to start. Traditionally I have learned that I must try all the wrong ways first before finding the right one. That coupled with an ability to over-complicate things makes for some frustrating experiences.

Nonetheless these are some pf my (not so) favorite memories

Closed the pipe for the black and gray tanks with the black sealer cap. Merrily moved on to the next site to discover I had left the blade valve open. 'Nuff said

Passed carefully through the tool booths in FL while they were switching over to Toll by Tag - until I passed through one that (I am convinced) was narrower than the others. Nice replacement mirror. It make me feel only slightly better to see the older, narrower coach ahead of me picking up his pieces too.

Proved my 1/2 mile long driveway with two hills and three switchbacks will not accommodate a 40'er.

One I could smile at wasn't mine. A guy was pulling his camper into a park in St Augustine and was being careful to be sure he could make the turn into his site. He didn't notice the low hanging branch of a live oak and jammed his awning cover against it. His first attempt to pull it off actually moved the trailer further into the branch so that it was seriously stuck. We had about 8 guys and three gals trying to deal with the geometry - after we unhooked it from his truck and brought in a tractor. I am actually the least mechanical person there but I did well in geometry so I went against the advice of everyone else and we managed to get it off. It was late enough in the day that there was beer involved so the conversations would have made for a good redneck video. Awning was toast and the guy said he had to hurry before his buddies showed up and maybe they wouldn't notice. His wife said "I already told Sherry but I told her not to tell anyone." His reaction was good-naturedly furious - "Oh great she's the town crier - I'll be in the papers tomrrow..."

At least no one but the awning and his pride were damaged.

I will also suggest that it is bad idea to stretch your sewer hose to reach the Park drain so that it is under the aquahot exhaust.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #151

With my first 4 weeks and 3000 miles behind me, I very fortunately only have a list of things I almost did.

Pulling into the hilly campground in Kentucky at twilight, I noticed the first narrow, deep drainage ditch just before driving into it. Noticing that the entire campground, was mined with these little gems, I drove into the nearest pull-through site and called it a night.

Approaching the toll booth in the clearly marked "Wide Load" lane (Illinois?), I was concentrating on my proximity to the booth and attendant to my left. As I started to leave, I was startled to realize that my right mirror was four inches from the booth to my right.

On a lighter note, before heading up north, I wanted to replace the standard 16 x 20 air filter for the furnace. Without thinking about it, I walked into a Home Depot in South Florida and asked the young man to direct me to the furnace filters. He politely considered my ridiculous request for a moment, then patiently explained that they did not have any furnace filters; however, they did carry a good selection of 16 x 20 air conditioning filters in aisle 12.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #152
Moderator Emeritus

Great post Saltydog44.

We just have to laugh to avoid crying sometimes.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #153

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Outer Banks Ferry

On trip to Cape Hatteras I was loading on to the Ferry at Cedar Island NC. After checking in and paying I was directed to the middle lane and told I would have to be on the inside lane against the cabin area of the ferry. I told them I would need to load before the outside lane to be able to swing out wide enough to get parallel to the cabin, "Don't worry, they do this all the time" I was told. I go line up. I was in my Dodge truck with 30 foot Sunnybrook TT at the time. Loading time come and as I was approaching the ferry I am directed to the left side of the cabin on the ferry and cars were already in the outside lane (of 2 lanes on that side), I had DW get out and tell guy that it would be hard for me to make the corner with the cars already there..."Don't worry we do this all the time" I was told, "I will guide you in to make sure". I begin to swing as far left as I can and come around cabin watching the car to my left while the attendant watches the other side. He never looked up to see that the overhang of the roof of the cabin stuck out about a foot, and was at the very height of my awning. Being waved on by him, and unable to see the overhang or awning in my passenger side mirror, but could see I was clear of cabin wall, I feel a sudden jolt, stop quick, and hear him say "you hit the cabin roof", did not add "don't worry we do this all the time" this time! Next several minutes were spent moving cars, me backing up and maneuvering into the space. No apologies from anyone, and when I went to ferry office I was told they are not responsible for damage while loading, did not mention that they do this all the time either. Thankfully no serious damage, just scrape and dent on weather guard of awning, which we carried as a reminder until that whole awning was lost in a "Nor-easter" storm a few months later. Guess it was doomed.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #154
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
They are partially responsible Tom, as they were directing you, and after giving you multiple reassurances that you'd fit. If they'd just said "park it over there" and let you go on your own that might be different. That's just the argument I'd make in small claims court too. They'll argue that you could have refused.

Good luck.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote