Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2014, 12:11 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Went in 2013 and stayed at a place about 5 miles out from the CHIP. Hope you don't plan on getting much sleep. The CHIP is extremely crowded and noisy. But, if you want the full experience then you picked the right place. Everyday downtown is a new adventure and the rides through the BadLands and surrounding towns is fantastic. When you leave there you will need a vacation. Also, don't forget that the trip there and back is an experience to enjoy. I would also suggest that the route you take there not be the route for the return. Make a big loop but don't use I-10. It will shake and rattle you to death. We used I-40 for the return trip. We approached Sturgis fromthe East and left through the West then south to I-40. HEY! Have fun. SO many places to go and see. SHould pretty well take care of many items on your bucket list. Have Fun and most of all RIDE Safe!

TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2014, 08:43 PM   #16
DJK

We went in 2012, stayed at Fish-N-Fry just south of Deadwood. Had a great time! We just might do it again this year, but I will have to drag the Jeep, momma can not ride for more than 1/2 hour at a time anymore.

DJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:53 AM   #17

Ha! Thats funny DS38 a vacation after the vacation eh! I don't doubt it though. Thanks for the trip advice!
Old 02-13-2014, 05:54 AM   #18

DJK, if you decide to go please let us all know! Beast
Old 02-13-2014, 08:23 AM   #19

regarding travel logistics... we found that staying at the Belvidere KOA at exit 170 allowed us to get into Sturgis pretty early the next day thus avoiding the mid-day traffic hassles. It's about a 2 hour drive from there. If you get there early ( i.e. before say 10:00 a.m.) it not a problem taking the first exit into Sturgis and head down Junction Ave and turn right on Lazelle to get to the Chip. If you get there much later than that, making the right turn onto Lazelle with a big rig and trailer is a pain with all the traffic, so you can take the second exit into Sturgis which puts you right on Lazelle and thus avoid the turn.. just some info that might come in handy
Old 02-13-2014, 08:03 PM   #20
DJK

Will do Beast! Trying to figure out things now.
DJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:22 PM   #21

I'm heading out in my DSDP unless I pull the trigger on a new Ventana beforehand.

Been out 4 times with the bike, once for a non-rally RV. Family vaca from NH, did it in a 32 foot V10 non-slide Hurricane (oh what a trip!!!)

I've stayed at the glencoe and Hog Haven which is really exceptional in everyway!!

Always wanted to stay at the chip, but their sites are very small, 30 amp and last sewage. I'll most likely be at glencoe again this year. They have full hookups and sites are very good sized with 50'amp service. All campgrounds in Meade county are non campfire sites. I believe fish n fry is outside that range and they allow forest as does the Rushmore KOA and many others.

As joe mentioned, go early to get in your non traffic riding. I go the Wednesday before the rally and leave the last Friday of the rally. Enjoy!!!
Old 02-14-2014, 05:49 AM   #22

Wow guys very good information, thank you all so much! Keep the ideas and helpful "Tips for the Chip" coming! Beast.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:18 PM   #23

Hello again! For those who are following this thread to Sturgis, we made reservations for the coach at Sleep Hollow RV park in Wall, SD for Friday August 1st; we have a pull through site and only about 40 miles from the Chip. They don't raise their rates during Sturgis so it was like $31 with 50 amp, water and sewer! Don't know what they have left but if you want to join us please do, it will be the last bargain you will see in a while! Beast.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:31 PM   #24

I have stayed at the Chip several times with DPs. The weather can be variable. I've seen it all, Storms, Heat, Cool . Typical for the midwest. If your there for the music try to get close to the main stage. The Chip is an expansive place, getting around once you're in can be a challenge. I trailer my ATV, great for Ice runs and restocking the adult beverages. Two years ago there were a few 90 degree days, the AC ran most of the time. Leaving windows open can be problematic because of the relentless dust. I agree with the Belvedere KOA suggestion. Also expect to have Chip Security inspect the interior of your DP and ask about Weapons and Alcohol. They asked to look in my refer and cabinets. All on all, I wouldn't stay anywhere else . I describe the Chip as a "Bikers Woodstock". People watching is the best part of the stay!!
Old 03-06-2014, 10:32 PM   #25

You will enjoy the train that runs right next to Sleepy Hollow in Wall. The first time you say what later it just wakes you up. I have stayed there about 10 times and they are nice people and you will pay extra for 50 amps but it was over 100 when I was there too the next time I went was early April and I had my heat on.

24' Bornfree
John S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:08 AM   #26

Sturgis Trip Update

Okay y'all, time is almost here! We are leaving out Sunday morning July 27th staying in Carrollton, GA Flying J Sunday night and then heading to Memphis for 2 nights at Mississippi River Campground and ride the Harley into Beale Street to see what thats all about. Then we are scooting over to Rogers, AR to visit a family friend for a night then up to Souix City and Wall, SD by Friday night. We have to drop Mada, our German Shepard puppy off in Rapid City Saturday morning at a pet motel because the Chip doesn't allow any pets whatsoever, then on to the Chip by noon on Saturday, we hope! If any of you do make it and want to meet up on the way out or what to track us down when you get there, you can reach me (Michael) on my cell at 863-307-6570. I just finished installing my Hydralift MC lift to hang the Fatboy on the back rather than on a trailer. We're really looking forward to this trip and the beautiful scenery and weather (i hope!). Y'all ride and be safe!!
Old 07-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin38 View Post
We have been going for years and never get tired of it. The last couple of years we have stayed at Elkhorn Ridge RV Resort just off 90 one exit south of Spearfish. This place is incredible, the hardware here is a show in itself! We do "day trips" each day and take in some incredible scenery.
Have a safe, enjoyable trip!
DB
Good to hear this... we have a spot reserved at Elkhorn Ridge Sunday through Friday. Then we peel off for West Yellowstone for a week!

Psyched!

Mal
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Remember Sturgis fans -- next year is the 75th. We'll for sure be there!!!

We have stayed a couple years at the Chip. You'll either love it or hate it. What got us is that getting to and from the Chip from Sturgis really takes its toll on a guy after awhile. Some mornings it would take us 30-40 minutes to get out of the Chip and into Sturgis. Crazy! When going back at night, it would take the same amount of time. Friends staying 30 miles down the road to Rapid City would get home quicker than it took us to drive the 5 miles to the Chip.

Anyway, we now stay at Elkview which is an exit or two from Sturgis on I-90. From Elkview we can be downtown Sturgis in 10 minutes or Deadwood in 20. Awesome location for getting around. Awesome park run by great people.

Report back with your experiences of the Chip.

Tags
florida, rally, sturgis