Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #1

Arrow Sturgis, SD rallye starting from Florida

Hey Y'all,

My wife and I are going to Sturgis for the very first time this year, my bucket list has begun! I'm turning 60 and that was #1 on the list. We are hangin the Fatboy on the back and heading out there last week of July and coming back to Winter Haven, FL mid August; we're thinking 3 weeks. We would love to meet up with other couples heading out that way and meet up too when we get there. My dream was to stay at the Chip and that's where we are going; we have our real estate and rallye passes and we are getting the coach ready to go. Anyone would like to join us (but not as passengers!), please post on this thread and maybe we can get a convoy going out there! Or if you have one already in the works maybe we can tag along? Looking forward to it! Beast.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2014, 11:13 PM   #2

Hey Beast - you will have a blast during bike week. Especially since it is your first time!!! Bikers need to do Sturgis at least once!! Great riding around the area and always something to see and do. We were headed there this year but the group we ride with has decided to go next year for the 75th year celebration. Enjoy yourselves!!

Old 02-10-2014, 06:52 AM   #3

I don't know if we will be going this year or not.... we generally go every couple years. When we were working, we took 2 1/2 days to get there from Tampa .... 2 years ago, we stopped in NC and the Smokies for a couple of weeks then headed out, took about 3 days.. Great riding around Sturgis. On Wednesday, go out to Hulett, Wyoming .. good party in the whole town. All thru the Black Hills are great roads, particulary for us from FL where it's just straight and flat. -- Spearfish Canyon is really nice.. at the top is a nice lodge with super bloody mary's. Needles Highway is fun along with all the sights in Custer Park, Mt. Rushmore,etc.
If we put it on our agenda for this year, I'll let you know.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #4
DJJ

We also are heading to the Chip and it will be a first for us too. I booked one of the 25x50 sites in the south 40, only 30 amp but I wanted/need the room. If we leave from home I will let you know, I'm in Key Largo. We may already be on the road somewhere prior to Sturgis and am planning to keep heading west from there. Sturgis has been on my wife's bucket list but I could never take time off work in the summer. 59 and retired so no more excuses.

Jeff
Old 02-11-2014, 05:39 AM   #5

Great PanJH! Thanks for the info and would love to put sometime together if you guys are up for it!
Old 02-11-2014, 05:56 AM   #6

Jeff, that's awesome and I think we have a similar site at the chip; not really worried about the 30amp; doubt we'll need too much of the A/C anyway, for sure at night. We are a little flexible with our departure and return dates so maybe we can stay in touch and see what works out. Thanks for the reply!
Old 02-11-2014, 08:21 AM   #7

We may be going. Will be in Madison for GWRRA and are heading west from there before returning to Georgia. Would like to visit the Grand Canyon area once more. Will follow your updates.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #8

Great Regwal, we'll keep you up to date! Sturgis or bust! Beast.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:34 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
We've been to Sturgis a number of times, but not since 2009. We may go this year, however haven't planned it yet.

Sturgis is wild fun time! Black Hills are great fun to ride, but go early before the rally, or stay after so that you can enjoy the rides without too many others on the road. Spearfish Canyon is just a parade thoughout rally week.

You'll need your AC!! August is hot and muggy in Stugis with 90-100+ temps with 80-95% humidity. Rain builds almost every afternoon.

We used to RV on a friends ranch a few miles behind the chip. Divorce & forced sale of the ranch ended that, so we're not too sure where we will park the MH.

If you can take more time off, plan on spending some time riding in Colorado for really spectacular scenery!! (I am a little partial)

If we go, would love to meet up with you!

Joe
Whitewater18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:27 AM   #10

Hope you have a fun trip. Our stick-n-brick is only 18 miles of back road from the chip.

Been there many times.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:10 AM   #11

Thanks for the info Joe! I'm surprised with your weather information; that's Florida weather in August! I was looking forward to 80s during the day and 50's at night I thought. And by all means stay in touch and we hope to see you there! Beast.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:55 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have been going for years and never get tired of it. The last couple of years we have stayed at Elkhorn Ridge RV Resort just off 90 one exit south of Spearfish. This place is incredible, the hardware here is a show in itself! We do "day trips" each day and take in some incredible scenery.
Have a safe, enjoyable trip!
DB
Old 02-12-2014, 10:46 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Beast View Post
Thanks for the info Joe! I'm surprised with your weather information; that's Florida weather in August! I was looking forward to 80s during the day and 50's at night I thought. And by all means stay in touch and we hope to see you there! Beast.
80s would be nice…. & sometimes it is that way. Most of the times I've been, has been hot & humid. Living in the Colorado Rockies its usually much less humid, so we aren't used to it!!
Like most of the West, you have to be prepared for almost any weather extreme. I've been snowed on every month of the year and ridden though 6" of snow on a weekend after July 4th!!
Whitewater18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #14

We were there in 2012. Steady 100+ every day. Recommend 50 amp.

wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, rally, sturgis