Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2014, 05:33 PM   #29

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Been traveling I87 from Albany to Plattsburg since the early 1990s and there are no low clearances. Around 2007 - 2009 there was an on-going construction project just north of Lake George, that might have caused occasional detours.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 06:05 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
Are you kidding me? Have you EVER seen semi's take a ramp to avoid an overpass/ it is not a prob for RV's we are shorter than most semi's.
Yes, in SW Virginia there is one on I-81.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:27 PM   #31

Looks like we have some knowledgable military type on this topic - demoon and U-2 Pilot....so question. I was coming across Montana on Highway 2 a couple of years back, headed to Minnesota and it is a great wide - flat two lane. I was talking with a relative an told him how nice and wide the highway was that runs parallel to the Canadian border. He told me back when the cold war was going on - this highway was designed for a runway for large planes to land on in the event they needed to take refuge from coastal attackes....just a rumor - any truth to it?
Old 01-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #32

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Yes, in SW Virginia there is one on I-81.
Checking the first 55 miles north on 1-81, at milepost 10 there is an underpass that only has 14' clearance. Southbound is unmarked and I assume full required height. Google Steetview shows the underpass and there is a full height trailer that just safely passed under it, so only oversized trucks would need to exit. It is marked about 1/2 mile before the exit with a simple diamond sign with "14' clearance ahead".

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_BUS View Post
Looks like we have some knowledgable military type on this topic - demoon and U-2 Pilot....so question. I was coming across Montana on Highway 2 a couple of years back, headed to Minnesota and it is a great wide - flat two lane. I was talking with a relative an told him how nice and wide the highway was that runs parallel to the Canadian border. He told me back when the cold war was going on - this highway was designed for a runway for large planes to land on in the event they needed to take refuge from coastal attackes....just a rumor - any truth to it?
That's a possibility...but likely still classified WRT specific roads, as there are still deployment and recover sites in case of nuclear attack. There are still enough warheads out there to take out every base and city twice. And that doesn't take into account China. Just sayin'
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:53 PM   #34

Gulf Streamers Club
President Eisenhower's reason for building the Interstate highway system was two-fold to increase transportation around the U.S. and to make it possible for Army to move easily. Part of it's military use designed into the plan was long stretches of highway that could be used as emergency landing strips. In Europe Ike had been impressed with the German Autobahn and saw the advantages for civilian and military use.

Bob & Donna
Old 01-27-2014, 08:33 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
There are a couple of bridges on interstates in NY that are marked less than 13"6' at the shoulder of the highway. One that comes to mind is on I-287, the Cross Westchester Expressway as you are going west towards the Hudson River. There is an overpass that is marked 13' at the shoulder of the highway. There are numerous overpasses on the Cross Bronx Expy (I-95) that are still marked at less than 13'. In the left lane, no less. The one that always impress me was on the Van Wyck Expy that still reads something like 10'8". These are signs that still remain from the original streets that were dug out and the new expressways were built on top of, that have never been removed. They will give you a start if you go sailing through with a 13'6" trailer and you've never seen them before but they can be cleared by a 13'6" unit in any lane with room to spare.

There use to be a couple on the CT Tpke (I-95) but they have long since been raised as has the one that was on the lower end of the ME Tpke. They were 13'4" or 13'2" at the shoulder but there was never an issue clearing them with a 13'6" trailer in the travel lanes.

Beyond that I don't think I've ever seen an underpass on an interstate highway that I wasn't able to clear with a 13'6" trailer.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:59 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Bear in mind that New York State marks ALL clearances at 1' less then the actual clearance, unless there is an additional sign that says "ACTUAL". So if the overpass is marked 13' it is in reality 14'.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #37

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Bear in mind that New York State marks ALL clearances at 1' less then the actual clearance, unless there is an additional sign that says "ACTUAL". So if the overpass is marked 13' it is in reality 14'.
That might explain why there's so much clearance above the truck going under the 14' bridge in the Streetview. Wonder if all states do the same?

Bob & Donna
Old 01-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
That aggravates the hell out of me when people (or governments) do that! Like you're not smart enough to handle the information yourself. "We're gonna lie to you, but its for your own good." Where have we heard that before?

I was in Livingston recently (Escapees), and went to get my coach weighed. The also have a height stick if you want the height measured, which I did. I stood forward and guided her as she lowered the crossbar to the TV dome, and I could see the stick reading 12'6". When she handed me my data sheet the height read 13'0". When I queried her, she said "oh, we always add 6" as a buffer". I said "Thank you very much, but I'd prefer if you just give me accurate information" and let me decide what to do with it." God save us from people trying to "help".
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
That aggravates the hell out of me when people (or governments) do that! Like you're not smart enough to handle the information yourself. "We're gonna lie to you, but its for your own good." Where have we heard that before?
In all likelihood it has more to do with the changing elevation of the roadway than it does with whether or not the Highway Department Engineers trust your judgement. Every time a road is resurfaced without being scraped down to the roadbed it adds another layer of asphalt and decreases the distance between the roadway and the overpass. They don't go down the roadbed every time and start from scratch.

Quote:
I was in Livingston recently (Escapees), and went to get my coach weighed. The also have a height stick if you want the height measured, which I did. I stood forward and guided her as she lowered the crossbar to the TV dome, and I could see the stick reading 12'6". When she handed me my data sheet the height read 13'0". When I queried her, she said "oh, we always add 6" as a buffer". I said "Thank you very much, but I'd prefer if you just give me accurate information" and let me decide what to do with it." God save us from people trying to "help".
Yes, I would find that practice to be extremely annoying.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:20 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_BUS View Post
I haven't seen any data, or specs, but I've heard that since the Interstate system was designed to be used by the military that there is a requirement that the road have a certain amount of straight travel with no curves every so often. Something like 5 miles of straight road every 50 miles with no overpasses, or something like that. The reasoning is that then the military can use the roadway as a runway if needed.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:36 AM   #41

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just click on a state to check low clearance/bridge heights.
America's Independent Truckers' Association: Information
http://aitaonline.com/
Old 01-29-2014, 08:16 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
The reason NY marks overpasses 1' less then actual is 2 fold, 1). insurance purposes, and 2) Snow build up on road surfaces during the winter. Having drove truck 20+ years I've been on roads in the winter with up to 6" of packed snow and ice on the road surface. Imagine a bridge marked 13'8" and then 6" of snow ice build up on road surface?

D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada