Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2014, 11:10 PM   #1
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Suggestions For A Cable Pass Thru Grommet

I need something like or similar to the grommet in the lower right hand corner of the picture for a 50 amp power cord as well as a water hose so I don't have to keep sticking them thru the floor.

I know at least one unit using it is a 09 Allegro Phaeton 40 QTH but could use the name of others when I start contacting dealers to buy them.

There's a better view of it if you click on the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wet bay.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	73005  

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2014, 11:24 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I need something like or similar to the grommet in the lower right hand corner of the picture for a 50 amp power cord as well as a water hose so I don't have to keep sticking them thru the floor.

I know at least one unit using it is a 09 Allegro Phaeton 40 QTH but could use the name of others when I start contacting dealers to buy them.

Call tiffin and ask them. I know that my Allegro Bus uses them for the power cord and for the water hose. Both are on reels.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:53 AM   #3

My 07 Newmar Mountain Aire 3991 has that exact same fitting for the electrical cord, rear bay drivers side.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:51 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you both.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 09-05-2014, 11:21 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Readily available at electrical supply house. They will also have a step drill bit to help easy installation of grommets.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #6

I'm afraid that what you're talking about is a bit more complex than you might think. The piece you're looking at is called a stirrup. There is actually a cut in the compartment lower stringer and that piece is welded in. Unless you're willing to do this, you may need another plan.

I know this because the welding shop at the Tiffin factory forgot to put one in the proper place when my coach was built. The coach was pulled from station one on the production line, the welding shop put one in where it was supposed to be and the coach was returned to the line. I watched this whole process.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do not see a grommet in the corner of that photo, just a messed up door seal

This is a portal that goes in the BOTTOM of a compartment

Access Hatch - 5 inch - RV Designer E575 - Compartment and Hatch Hardware - Camping World

And if you navigate to electrical doors and hatches, they have others that are designed to go in a wall, some specifically for power cords.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:14 PM   #8

grommet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post

I would like one of those grommets also, please let me know if you find anything. I will try tiffin also
Old 09-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPASMURF View Post
Readily available at electrical supply house. They will also have a step drill bit to help easy installation of grommets.
I have those back home but I don't think I explained it very well it's more for the ability to be lazy and just open the door pull out what I want then push the cable/hose into the rubber then close the door. The door would also have a weather seal while driving in bad weather not to mention mice control when parked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
I'm afraid that what you're talking about is a bit more complex than you might think. The piece you're looking at is called a stirrup. There is actually a cut in the compartment lower stringer and that piece is welded in. Unless you're willing to do this, you may need another plan.

I know this because the welding shop at the Tiffin factory forgot to put one in the proper place when my coach was built. The coach was pulled from station one on the production line, the welding shop put one in where it was supposed to be and the coach was returned to the line. I watched this whole process.
I kind of expected something like that would be a possibility and I'm happy to hear that's the case as it seems it would be better than just stuffing foam in the opening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I do not see a grommet in the corner of that photo, just a messed up door seal

This is a portal that goes in the BOTTOM of a compartment

Access Hatch - 5 inch - RV Designer E575 - Compartment and Hatch Hardware - Camping World

And if you navigate to electrical doors and hatches, they have others that are designed to go in a wall, some specifically for power cords.
I have them in the floor already but once I get a cable and hose reel installed I'd have to pull out the cable/hose out the open door then go back and thread them down those outlets. As I mentioned I'm trying to get lazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
I would like one of those grommets also, please let me know if you find anything. I will try tiffin also
I'm going to try Camping World here in Charleston that is supposed to be a Tiffin dealer and see what they have for input or any other units that might fit the bill. I won't be tackling this project until over this winter but I will post updates with what I find.

I only picked Tiffin because it was the first picture I found on line, and I have to admit it looks pretty amateurish like somebody pulled it out then just stuffed it back in.

See My RV Upgrades