RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2018, 12:22 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you currently own an RV and or have you ever used an RV?

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2018, 04:43 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are on our third motorhome and I will offer some things to consider.

The RV industry is booming and the assembly line manufacturers are cranking them out as fast as they can. There is a quality issue that none of them seem to be properly addressing. If you buy new, plan to spend the first year (or maybe two) getting stuff fixed, including trips back to the factory since good dealers are spotty. One of Entegra's strengths is their two year warranty and what owners describe as great customer support.

In today's world many of the 'options' are fluff that make an already complicated machine more complicated and more prone to problems, IMO. Systems controlled by software and Ipads, motorized window shades, and other gizmo's that offer bling but complexity. It is what many folks want but the issues and aggravation they cause provide some interesting reading on these forums. I agree with Ivylog....my 11 year old coach has plenty of options and creature comforts without the burden of technology overkill.

Other than the custom build coaches like Newells, Foretravel and Prevosts, about the only assembly line coach with a slick, european style interior is the new Winnebago Horizon. You might like it.

Just go into this with eyes wide open. All motorhomes are fairly complex and they are money pits. Also, IMO, a motorhome is not for someone who is not handy with tools and willing and able to fix/repair the things they can. Otherwise, they will spend lots of time and money getting someone else to fix things.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:12 AM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
Highly recommend: Full wall slide. Rear bathroom with mid 1/2 bath. After over 6 years on the road those are the two requirements for my next coach. If it has those, then it is probably going to have everything else I want.
You will not find a full wall slide in a Newell or a Prevost. Not a requirement for me either. Also, DW and I find the rear bath to be a waste of space, although I realize that we are in the minority in this regard.

Best advice is for the OP to carefully compare all coaches in the category and decide what matters to you personally. Someone elseís priority may not be attuned to your own. Sometimes a little feature, a floorplan, or color scheme will make the difference to you. Best advice is to attend a major show where you can visit each coach and compare. Tampa, Hershey, or FMCA national show will have the largest selection. Or visit big stocking dealers such as Lazydays, North Trail for Newmar, or NIRVC.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:04 PM   #32

Thanks, all!

To the person that asked if we have an motorhome or have ever used one, we just have a small one right now (Airstream Interstate- if you count that one!) We have had a large, luxury fifth wheel in the past. My husband is extremely handy, as he is a general contractor and will be able to do lots- except you can forget him repairing technological stuff lol.

I agree that we just need to look- and look- and look- and look! The Hershey show next month should be a good eye opener. We have casually looked through several at Lazy Days when we went to the National Championship game in Tampa. I really do not want to rule out a used Foretravel, as those really are my favorite (just based on the Internet search and forums.) They are just hard to find used, unless they are really old- and I don't like those.

We just need to be very patient and not rush into the first one that we fall in love with. We do have specific things we want, as we have a disabled son that will always live with us and always travel with us and we HOPE to have grandkids in the near future. We will also tailgate at the Alabama games, so the exterior entertainment is important to us, as well as a half bath mid-coach.

Thanks again for all of your comments- it is extremely helpful!
sclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:33 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclements View Post
I really do not want to rule out a used Foretravel, as those really are my favorite (just based on the Internet search and forums.) They are just hard to find used, unless they are really old- and I don't like those.
Not that hard, 2013 Foretravel IH45 I believe this checks off everything you stated was important too you. I donít know if you didnít see the link I posted earlier, but Iíll try one last time!

I have no affiliation with MOT, except that my son bought his Foretravel from them. They were very good to deal with. I would highly recommend them.
BigD629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:54 PM   #34

Yes- I like that one!!!
Old 08-12-2018, 08:22 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We looked and looked and looked. Probably went to 15 different dealers around California and one day walked into our current coach and both of said...This is it!.

So keep looking. One will magically appear.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:50 AM   #36

I hope that happens to us. I am afraid what I will love is what my husband won't spend the money on lol! I do think that the smartest choice is to buy used, and get more quality for our budget. We just need to make it a fun journey- no reason to stress!
Old 08-14-2018, 05:41 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After seeing OP s list of requirements and options my new (just) $200k 15 Discovery has 95% of their requirements. Far less initially expensive and 1/4 of the depreciation. 75% of parks visited we are the most expensive RV there.

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes