Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2016, 05:26 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Suggestions for my next MH

Hi Folks. Time is moving quickly and it is only 5 months til I have sold my business and am ready to purchase a Class A Diesel for a life on the road. This has been my dream since I purchased a 2003 40ft Dutch Star in 2005 only to have to give it up in 2013 because it was either the RV or the house and I wasn't ready to move forward.

Now, my pockets won't be as deep so I am looking at older models. I still want the quality I am used to, but in a slightly smaller rig. My price is up to $80K, and that is a stretch. Any suggestions other than looking at RV Trader, RVT, Motorhome Finds etc. I was told I shouldn't buy anything before 2006, but I am considering a 2002 35ft Dutch Star 3567 because of my past experience.

It is just me and my dog(s) and any guests I may have.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2016, 06:20 PM   #2
epj

Unless you want to haul a really big toad, a gas model might suit your purposes in a 35' or less. The newer ones have 22.5 tires and a better suspension than older gassers. Just a thought.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:58 PM   #3

I do not know why you would be told not to purchase a coach older than 2006. There are some really nice ones out there older that you should consider. More important is getting maintenance records and knowing how it has been cared for.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:08 PM   #4

You may have heard it wrong. Nothing after 2006 if you can help it.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:22 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DP's are nice but so are the Gassers. The maintenance is easier and you can do almost all if it your self. If you don't need to pull more than 5K then a gasser would fit the build and you can new one with all the bells and whistles of a DP.
If you must have a DP then there are lots available to fit the bill. As far as a DP before 2006 that is because of the DEF in all of the new ones. Don't let that stop you from looking at newer DP's. The DEF is not an issue because you should only have to fill it about every oil change, 10k miles and even if you do there is plenty places, every Big Rig fuel station at the pumps, to do so.
The key is find something you like, test drive it, make the deal and get on the road.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:26 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Most of us have to fill DEF about every fourth tank of fuel. As mentioned available at truck stop pump or in handy containers at WalMart. Actually prefer DEF as it allows the engine to be "turned up" and still make emission standards.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:35 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Someone mentioned not to buy something 10 years or older.
This is something to be aware of especially if you want to full time. There are campgrounds that have a policy of not allowing an rv that is 10 years old or older in. You might be able to get in but expect to jump through hoops to do so. Another item is if you want a warranty or replacement value insurance. It will be really hard to get either for something older than 10 years.
Enjoy the process and buy something you love.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Someone mentioned not to buy something 10 years or older.
This is something to be aware of especially if you want to full time.
Never experienced this and our full-timing friends haven't either.

If a RV is kept in good condition it would be no issue unless you go to the swanky 'resorts'. If ever turned down there are other places to go.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:42 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Never experienced this and our full-timing friends haven't either.

If a RV is kept in good condition it would be no issue unless you go to the swanky 'resorts'. If ever turned down there are other places to go.
I bring it up merely as something to consider. It was asked of my coach 2x in my brief 8 years of RVing. So it is certainly not common but it is out there.
There was also at least one thread here on irv2 about it (probably more):
RV parks and 10 year old rigs?
Old 07-28-2016, 06:00 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm glad I waited until 15 for my DP. Many new improvements. Especially reliability of DEF Cummins engines. Just don't get tile floors; cold, slippery, and heavy.