Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2016, 03:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Guy View Post

I can see a port home community where everyone knows everyone and watches out for each other....but I already live in a close knit gated community and was hoping to move out and get some real privacy. I'm wondering if I can have both!

I am slowly leaning towards a regular home with some privacy...but am still concerned about long term security while I am away.
Another point, a "close knit gated community" either RV port homes or conventional homes, if everyone is retired and moves like you are wanting to do, then most of the neighbors will be gone when you are gone. Say homes in south Florida in the summer or Colorado mountain homes in the winter. We lost all of our sentimental items when our last house burned, so what we have now is just stuff that is covered by insurance. With a simple house, I just make sure the water is shut off, P-traps are protected from drying out, most of the electrical circuits are off and yard is mowed as needed.

dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2016, 04:22 PM   #30

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Great points...again! I'm sure enjoying your input - it is opening up my eyes. It is just stuff.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:50 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
X3 on The Great Outdoors in Titusville, FL. You can see lots of examples of various type of sites, ports, homes w/RV garages, etc. at their website.
ficodek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:29 PM   #32

Yes, exactly. It's just stuff.

Can't stand gated communities/HOA's. Very little "elbow room" as a rule, plenty of "rules", and snoopy neighbors/excessive fees are not unusual.

Prefer a little more rural setting myself, and it's been my experience it doesn't take an awful lot to have a neighbor or 2 keeping an eye on your places. I have it worked out where a Florida neighbor, who lives a block away, mows my grass as required (very reasonably!), and is happy to do it, actually volunteering for the position! Our place is on his way out of the development, so he drives by frequently, allowing him to keep an eye on the place. A Mi. neighbor keeps the driveway there plowed in the winter to make it look like somebody is home all winter. He has to get the stuff out to do his, and ours just adds a few more minutes to what it normally takes him. This is done on a barter system where his lawn is taken care of frequently when I'm there - and I enjoy doing that!

Bonus regarding the more rural settings, MH is kept right on the property.

I get it, where people don't like getting out and doing yard work or home maintenance. Just wanted to provide an idea of how I manage things. -Al
Old 07-11-2016, 09:35 PM   #33

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks Al....we think alike in a lot of ways...so naturally I like when I read your thougts!

I may have already mentioned this, but my first coach was a 97, 37ft HR Endeavor with a 275 CAT....but only had one slide. My wife refused to try and full time in "Bertha" since the bedroom was so small. I was happy to upgrade since I felt the engine was too small to pull our CRV through the Rockies. As an example, when I drove from Dallas to Shreveport (a fairly level drive), Bertha had to down shift a lot which I presumed did not bode well for a trip with her over the Rockies.

However, we loved the coach and when we ran across a newer version of the same coach (our "Elvis"), we bought him before they even had turned the key off from a test drive (someone was trading it in for a bigger tag axle...so we bought him right there, on the spot...we must have made the dealer's day). We have loved the new one from day one.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:15 AM   #34

Single slide DP perfect for us (though I acknowledge the size of the bedroom fully!). We enjoy staying at places long enough to run any interesting day trips in a given area (that's generally how our destinations are selected), but then it's time to move on. I can travel weeks, perhaps a couple of months, but then I start craving the friends, hobbies, and "stuff" available only at the sticks & bricks. -Al

Tags
cat