Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-30-2016, 02:36 PM   #1
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Suggestions for TWO retirement locations for port homes

We are out "full-timing" and looking for our next "perfect" retirement spot. So far, everything is either too hot, too cold, too buggy, or too expensive to stay all year long.

My thoughts are that the snowbirds probably have the best plan of action...stay part of the year in the south and part of the year in the north. So, following that logic, we are thinking we will need two places and will stay at one for four months, travel four months and then stay at the other for the last four. We like being able to sit out on our patio and enjoy a comfortable climate and park our unit in a covered spot...like a port home.

Right now we have a place on a golf course near Ft Worth TX. It has great weather about 3 months out of the year....the rest of the year it is either too hot (famous for their 100 degree consecutive days in a row in the summer) and freezing in the winter. So we are out scouting for that perfect location to give us the perfect climate for about half a year where we might buy or build a port home.

Can you all suggest locations that you think would be good to build a port home, or buy into a port home development? I'm not into buying a slab and living in my RV full time...I really need a small home to live in while we are parked.

I'm intrigued with the port home concept. Since I am probably going to buy somewhere and I am tired of paying rent to store my RV, I figure why not consider port homes first?

Thanks for your suggestions!

'07 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PRQ ("Elvis"), and our 2012 CRV toad
B52Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2016, 02:43 PM   #2
Take a look at Mt. Olive Shores North in Polk City FL. These are homes in a gated community with a guard. There's a community room, movie theatre, fitness room, etc. on a lake. Yes, it'll be too hot in the summer, but will be nice for your winter stay. There also is the original Mt. Olive Shores next door. It is manufactured homes and doesn't have all the amenities listed above.

Gene, Gayle, & Oliver
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV
G.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:46 PM   #3
A lot of your Texas neighbors are up here in the southern Colorado mountains all summer. We don't have any port homes that I've seen, but we have lots of nice mountain homes and land. Those with RV's usually just put up a metal sun shade structure over the RV parking spot.
Right now the market is still down, so its cheaper to buy existing than build new. We've got homes from $200,000 to $2 million; some with 1 or 2 acres, some with 20 acres. With this being primarily a 2nd home area, there is always a lot of turnover and homes for sale. South Fork, for example, has only 600 year round residents, but 2000 seasonal home owners who only stay during the summer months; plus about 1000 RV'ers in town all summer for a few weeks or a few months in one of the local campgrounds. Nearby towns all over southern and SW Colorado are similar.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check out the RGV and NE WA on Lake Roosevelt. It was our pick!
04 Horizon QD, 12 Ford Flex, Excalibar, Brake-Pro, ,, Winter Texan, RVin! since 1974
Norm, Donna & Tinker Kat 74 MGB-GT, 75 MGB, 01 Z3
Life is a Timed Event, you only get One Go Around!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:29 AM   #5
We were impressed by Happy Trails in Surprise AZ. They have lots of activities and it looked like a nice community.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:43 AM   #6
I can't bring myself to full time either. Lifelong resident of Mi, we bought a second place in Fl. but these are both regular homes. I need a shop and things that allow me to work with my hands to be happy.

I was thinking though, that if you wanted to build a second "port" home, you should be able to do that in many areas of northern Mi. Very few places up there have deed restrictions or anything that might prevent something like that. If looking for 4 month season, you could be sitting right on the shores of Lake Superior pretty easily. If that seems like it might be a little chilly, work your way south from there to suit yourself.

Best of luck!
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:23 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
B52Guy, I'm in a similar situation, except still working for now. We think we have a near perfect location, for 7 months out of the year (Oct-Apr), where we live now. We would like to find a place somewhere cooler for the summer. We spend a lot of time on our vacations exploring places and looking at real estate. Our goal is to be able to live or spend some time in a location before we jump in and buy. I would like to do some small scale land development (my occupation for 35 years) and have been looking at land in the west and southwest. I'm finding a lot of hurdles pertaining to parking RV's on property in desirable areas. It seems like supply and demand drives the price in areas where there are largely public lands. I'm also having a hard time adjusting to the idea of living next to somebody. We have not had to look at any neighbors for the last 20 years.
Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:20 PM   #8
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks for the great suggestions. Just what I was looking for.
Gene, we've been to several places in Fl, but not Mt Olive area. Will check it out.
Jim2...the snow has always scared me, but I guess for just 4-5 months, the area sounds great.
RGVtexan...I sure love my wine and plan on visiting the northwest anyway, so we will definately check out your suggestion.
Ludmilla, AZ is on our list...thanks.
AHicks...our first coach (Bertha is what we called her) was also a 97 HR with the small CAT. It only had the one slide, so we felt we had to upgrade to start full-timing...but HR sure spoiled us! I have a friend up in MI, so I will follow up for sure.
Scotty, if you build a place, let me know! We too like the solitude.
'07 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PRQ ("Elvis"), and our 2012 CRV toad
B52Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:29 PM   #9
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've never been there but heard from a friend that the TGO places in florida (The Great Outdoors) are very nice port homes/communities..

Not for me but if that lifestyle is what you want they look nice..
1995 BlueBird BMC 37
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
1984 BlueBird Wanderlodge FC35RB-Sold
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:24 AM   #10
Great Concept

I love North Texas April through June and middle October through Christmas. January through March I think Phoenix area is okay and absolutely adore Mormon lake Arizona July through September.

I also think the RV port idea as I know it is the cat's meow. If the circumstances would allow it my ideal ports would be barns with storage for the RV and an apartment. Lottery money would mean completely outfitted blacksmith-welding-woodworking shops at each location of course, a man needs to do what a man needs to do.

No two storys, they're only for the under fifty crowd.
Life is Good
Wroughtnharv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #11
The Great Outdoors RV and Golf Resort in Titusville, Florida is the best!!
Wbitz81670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:32 AM   #12
Entegra Owners Club
Spring Ridge Estates in NE Washington, we just bought there.

Spring Ridge Estates
Randy & Dorothy, 2015 Entegra Anthem 44B
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (sold)
2016 GMC Canyon SLT 4x4
Rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:46 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Originally Posted by Wbitz81670 View Post
The Great Outdoors RV and Golf Resort in Titusville, Florida is the best!!

X2 on TGO.
Ron & Kathy FMCA F327322
2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4369
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:46 AM   #14
We are currently in our home in central Wisconsin. We will stay here till mid October and enjoy the great summer temps and a taste of fall before going to our home in Lake Havasu, AZ. From Oct thru April, Havasu offers near perfect weather, many festivals, the lake and the CO river to explore. Great shopping, restaurants, medical facilities and no bugs. They get only 3.8" annual rainfall and most of it in the summer. We'll travel in our motor home and use both homes as a base for side trips. Works out perfect for us.

2013 43 QGP Allegro Bus
26' Enclosed trailer for toys
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote