Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2014, 09:21 AM   #15
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
For most large coaches, G rated (14 ply) tires are marginal or do not make the weight rating. Only a few manufacturers make an H rated (16 ply) tire. Many will pick the lesser G rated as they are also lesser in $$$.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2014, 09:44 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
It always make me laugh on here when tire questions come up for replacement......the FIRST concern is always the cost......and most of the tires being replaced are Michelin's or Goodyears most of the time, Question now, ever wonder why high end autos, Motorcoach's, Semi's(big trucks) of all kinds, and other chassis manufacture's come with Michelin's or Goodyears and not these tires from China or the other off brand tires? Why do they spend the money for these tires in the beginning? Why not the cheaper tires that wear and run just as good as reported?
It is always good to have options when buying, but I just have to wonder about chassis mfg.'s and their choice of tires.........
When my OEM Michelin's were replaced at only 29,000 miles and 9 years old(perfect condition, inside and out) .......Michelins went back on........and did not entertain the thought of anything else........ I would think it boils down to who the manufacture trusts most as to what their finished product is going to ride on....... and is not based on cost.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #17

I am thinking the manufacturers have incentives from tire makers, and tire makers gain/maintain name recognition. This has nothing to do with quality, be it good or bad, but good business practices.

I agree that too often tire price is considered first, quality second. But tire quality has not been conclusively proven on this blog, in my opinion. There have been love stories and horror stories and opinions and testimonials, but there does not seem to be a true bottom line on who's on first, what's on second, I don't know: third base!

But Toyos sound pretty good on this thread

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #18

I don't believe it has anything at all to do with "who the OEM trusts". It has everything to do with Mich successfully "seeding" the market. If they can get their tires on the coach when it rolls off the line, there's a really good chance that people who buy it are always going to replace them with Mich's.
This is no different than Apple Computer giving away Apple's to schools. They knew that students would always want to use an Apple later in life because that's what they were comfortable with. "Seeding" the market is very common.
I have Sumi's on my coach. 22.5's. They cost me $300/tire, mounted, and that included a bag of Equal Balancing beads in each wheel. Was I concerned with safety? Of course I was. The family owned business that recommended and installed them on my coach lives and dies by their reputation, period. If they started selling junk tires just to make a few extra bucks, they'd have been out of business a long time ago, instead, they're 45yrs, and still going strong.

Just because you pay more for something, doesn't mean it's a better product. it USUALLY means that company is better at marketing. Look at Bose. Ask any real audiofile about Bose speakers and they'll laugh at you. From a pure sound point of view, they're junk. And pretty expensive junk at that. But people buy them, and love them, which again is a true testament to their success in marketing their product, not the quality of sound the product produces.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
It always make me laugh on here when tire questions come up for replacement......the FIRST concern is always the cost......and most of the tires being replaced are Michelin's or Goodyears most of the time, Question now, ever wonder why high end autos, Motorcoach's, Semi's(big trucks) of all kinds, and other chassis manufacture's come with Michelin's or Goodyears and not these tires from China or the other off brand tires? Why do they spend the money for these tires in the beginning? Why not the cheaper tires that wear and run just as good as reported?
It is always good to have options when buying, but I just have to wonder about chassis mfg.'s and their choice of tires.........
When my OEM Michelin's were replaced at only 29,000 miles and 9 years old(perfect condition, inside and out) .......Michelins went back on........and did not entertain the thought of anything else........ I would think it boils down to who the manufacture trusts most as to what their finished product is going to ride on....... and is not based on cost.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:43 AM   #19
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I looked and researched for a few months while I was waiting for good weather to go pick up my last coach. I looked at virtually every brand and that process included reviews/complaints, price, warranty, etc.

My criteria was a good mid-high range tire.
The results of my search put Toyo M154's at the top of my list. In fact, there were less complaints about this tire than the more expensive Michelins and Goodyears.

At a 3rd less in cost, better reviews and all else being equal with the upper echelon of tires, it was a no brainer for me to pick the Toyo's!

I will be doing it again this spring on my "new to us" coach.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:52 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Client of mine switched to them a few years back for their fleet of trucks. So I now have a set on my MH and satisfied so far.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #21

Quote:
It always make me laugh on here when tire questions come up for replacement......the FIRST concern is always the cost......and most of the tires being replaced are Michelin's or Goodyears most of the time, Question now, ever wonder why high end autos, Motorcoach's, Semi's(big trucks) of all kinds, and other chassis manufacture's come with Michelin's or Goodyears and not these tires from China or the other off brand tires?
Okay, Country Coach and Alpine Coach specified Toyo as the OEM tire back in the day. Having said that, look at how many auto companies are using Chinese made tires as OEM today to reduce costs. I know this for fact, I spent the last 35 years in the auto industry.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:31 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Buy what you want and spend what you want...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
Okay, Country Coach and Alpine Coach specified Toyo as the OEM tire back in the day. Having said that, look at how many auto companies are using Chinese made tires as OEM today to reduce costs. I know this for fact, I spent the last 35 years in the auto industry.
As always.... to each their own......without taking the time to study up on this(don't care that much) Prevost, Newell, Newmar, American Coach, Liberty, Marathon, Peterbilt, Kenworth, ect., etc. come out of the factory with what on them? Add Cadillac to the list......
They all could really drop the MSRP if they started using other tires like mentioned
Old 01-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #23

Quote:
As always.... to each their own......without taking the time to study up on this(don't care that much) Prevost, Newell, Newmar, American Coach, Liberty, Marathon, Peterbilt, Kenworth, ect., etc. come out of the factory with what on them? Add Cadillac to the list...... They all could really drop the MSRP if they started using other tires like mentioned
I'm thinking Michelin or GY promo cost to mfg may be near Toyo value. So, not an MSRP issue. Even if at tire list $, effect on MSRP would be little to none, and probably no effect on competitive price to the RV buyer. Ya think?

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #24

I do not have a class A MH. Although, I do have commercial trucks. I have been running drives (rear) and steers (front) Sumitomo's for 13 years. The tires have given me good wear. I have not had any sidewall defects in these 13 years.
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I'm thinking Michelin or GY promo cost to mfg may be near Toyo value. So, not an MSRP issue. Even if at tire list $, effect on MSRP would be little to none, and probably no effect on competitive price to the RV buyer. Ya think?
Assumption on your part? Just like the list of option's available when ordering.......$100.00 here......$3,000.00 there....... I have read your opinion on tires before, no need to explain. Thanks though....
Old 01-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post
I do not have a class A MH. Although, I do have commercial trucks. I have been running drives (rear) and steers (front) Sumitomo's for 13 years. The tires have given me good wear. I have not had any sidewall defects in these 13 years.
That is a bit of real time satisfaction, nice to hear from folks like you, I am not saying I will never look at another tire, I just might when I need them with reports like yours.....never know.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
clyon51 - take a look at Toyo tires. They're made in Japan and have an excellent reputation. I just bought my second set in the Phoenix area for my new (to me) Alpine Coach.
Care to share the name of that tire shop in the Phx area. You'll be saving me the time in searching for a shop who carries Toyos.

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
I looked and researched for a few months while I was waiting for good weather to go pick up my last coach. I looked at virtually every brand and that process included reviews/complaints, price, warranty, etc.

My criteria was a good mid-high range tire.
The results of my search put Toyo M154's at the top of my list. In fact, there were less complaints about this tire than the more expensive Michelins and Goodyears.

At a 3rd less in cost, better reviews and all else being equal with the upper echelon of tires, it was a no brainer for me to pick the Toyo's!

I will be doing it again this spring on my "new to us" coach.
What is your tire size? Was it different than what you coach tag says to go with.

Tags
tires