Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
I looked and researched for a few months while I was waiting for good weather to go pick up my last coach. I looked at virtually every brand and that process included reviews/complaints, price, warranty, etc.

My criteria was a good mid-high range tire.
The results of my search put Toyo M154's at the top of my list. In fact, there were less complaints about this tire than the more expensive Michelins and Goodyears.

At a 3rd less in cost, better reviews and all else being equal with the upper echelon of tires, it was a no brainer for me to pick the Toyo's!

I will be doing it again this spring on my "new to us" coach.
What is your tire size and did you use the same M154's all around, as Toyo's web site says they are steer tires.

Does it matter if you use them in the back? I have no idea.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2014, 05:09 PM   #30

I had Sumitomo's on my old MH... excellent results... They are the owners of Dunlop for over 15 years.... In fact, my tire dealer asked me if I wanted Dunlop for $100 less per tire... I said Yes!!! He said Sumitomo............don't forget to ask for fresh dated tires, not what they have laying around.... then read the DOT date code on each tire before they mount them...........
BEACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:38 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVluvin View Post
Care to share the name of that tire shop in the Phx area. You'll be saving me the time in searching for a shop who carries Toyos.

Thanks!
Sorry for taking so long to respond. I don't know the name of the shop. I just bought a pre-owned Alpine Coach in Mesa, AZ. I negotiated a new set of Toyo M154 tires as part of the deal. A mobile tire truck from an outfit in Peoria came out to the dealer and installed them. i watched them do the work. The date codes are recent (3713 - about 16 weeks ago) and they added Magnum balancing beads. I like balancing beads.

My previous set of Toyo tires were purchased in Oregon at Les Schwab for my last coach. No sales tax in Oregon! I had balancing beads in those as well.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:07 PM   #32

Make sure if you're going with Toyo M122 model to get "L" 75mph speed rated tires.

I'm in the middle of a nightmare where the shop I bought from put "J" 62mph speed rated M122 model tires.

Once I figured out what they gave me, they were on the phone with their Toyo rep asking what the heck is going on. They found out that the M122 model has three speed rated models J, K, L and the shop had no idea about this speed rating range in a model.

The shop owner says he's going to make it right and should have the "L" rated M122 model tires in a few weeks. Hopefully before my Florida trip!!!! in late Feb.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:20 PM   #33
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bolt View Post
What is your tire size? Was it different than what you coach tag says to go with.
The Toyo M154 tires I picked were a 295/75R/22.5 Load Range H. These were the same as listed for my coach.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #34
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bolt View Post
What is your tire size and did you use the same M154's all around, as Toyo's web site says they are steer tires.

Does it matter if you use them in the back? I have no idea.
Here is a link to the Toyo M154 295/75R22.5 tire. It is an "All Position" tire.

M154 | Toyo Tires Canada
Attached Images

Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:36 PM   #35

Quote:
The Toyo M154 tires I picked were a 295/75R/22.5 Load Range H. These were the same as listed for my coach.
That's the same tires I put on my Alpine Coach.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:48 PM   #36

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
As you can see, many people have had good experiences with different tire manufactures. The one thing that you should know is your corners weight first. For my coach and the weight that is on the front axle, I can only use Michelins. I do know of a few people who bought tires and then had to replace them because they could not handle the weight.Just my thoughts!
Same here, need 305/70's on the front due to the weight and clearance. At the time only Michelin was producing that size even though Continental showed it in their books.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:11 PM   #37

Quote:
Yes, I see now that it is both all pos and steer rated.

My coach looks to be lighter than yours at 22500 lbs before cargo rating and I fall into the G code for Toyo's.

My coach tag specs a 235/80/22.5
What was on the coach when I bought it was 255/70/22.5. This is what I now have in the Toyo's, but, with the wrong "J" speed rating.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:24 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Same here, need 305/70's on the front due to the weight and clearance. At the time only Michelin was producing that size even though Continental showed it in their books.
I also saw the Continentals in the book but no tires available. I also looked at going with a 295 tire but it didn't have the weight rating that we both need. And I would have had some reprogramming done for the height.The local Les schwab tried to sell me tires and said he had it covered. I keep trying to expland to him the weight on the front axle and he was loss. So I drove the coach over to him with my corner weight ticket. He got it then!Must be nice to have options like others do?
Old 01-13-2014, 10:55 PM   #39

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
I also saw the Continentals in the book but no tires available. I also looked at going with a 295 tire but it didn't have the weight rating that we both need. And I would have had some reprogramming done for the height.The local Les schwab tried to sell me tires and said he had it covered. I keep trying to expland to him the weight on the front axle and he was loss. So I drove the coach over to him with my corner weight ticket. He got it then! Must be nice to have options like others do?
Amazing isn't it GREAT when we, as owners, have to explain to the "professionals" how to size tires for the weight! Makes me wonder about some of the other "professional advice" they give out as well as some of the tire age "advice" I see on the forum!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Amazing isn't it GREAT when we, as owners, have to explain to the "professionals" how to size tires for the weight! Makes me wonder about some of the other "professional advice" they give out as well as some of the tire age "advice" I see on the forum!
When I had my new Sumitomos put on, I asked how much air they put in. Tire guy says 120# per sidewall. I was surprised and asked if he had weighed my rig? And he looks me in the eye and with complete authority says " Weight has nothing to with it." Alrighty, then. Needless to say, after getting weighed I"m running 95 on all tires. I could go to 85 but I wanted a bit more cushion. Trust, but verify.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post
I do not have a class A MH. Although, I do have commercial trucks. I have been running drives (rear) and steers (front) Sumitomo's for 13 years. The tires have given me good wear. I have not had any sidewall defects in these 13 years.
Can someone explain the difference drive Vs steer tires

I have new Hercules H 902 255/70 22.5s

I was in steady rain and the front didn't feel like it should so I think I may change to steer tires.

Any thoughts on that.

By the way I have Toyo on my pickup love them.
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by so47 View Post
When I had my new Sumitomos put on, I asked how much air they put in. Tire guy says 120# per sidewall. I was surprised and asked if he had weighed my rig? And he looks me in the eye and with complete authority says " Weight has nothing to with it." Alrighty, then. Needless to say, after getting weighed I"m running 95 on all tires. I could go to 85 but I wanted a bit more cushion. Trust, but verify.
That is a very common thing. When the tire guy was talking to me about the options? I asked how much air I would need to run for the weight and he said the max amount of air for the rating of the tire? It was like 125.

I showed him the Michelin chart and where I would run my 305's at. It was another learner experience for him.

I run mine the same as you with the tag at 85.

Sure nice ride!

Tags
tires